Recent fights/results/news from Thailand

Some very interesting things taught by Skarbowsky there. He advocated counterintuitive moves and strategies such as hitting kicks with the foot on the wrist of your opponent and only kicking with one leg the whole fight. Things that only a professional would even consider.

Yeah that's some very interesting stuff, but thinking back to when i fought, i can't even imagine kicking with just my rear leg all fight. I'd also never aim intentionally for the wrist because of the threat of them moving and hitting my foot with their elbow. Getting elbowed in the top of your foot is too painful for words, especially after the adrenaline leaves your body post-fight and your foot balloons.

Some very interesting things taught by Skarbowsky there. He advocated counterintuitive moves and strategies such as hitting kicks with the foot on the wrist of your opponent and only kicking with one leg the whole fight. Things that only a professional would even consider.
I've been playing around with kicking the wrist in my sparring since I watched that and I've found it to be very effective! I'm a Kickboxer, so I end up working with pressure fighters who keep a tight high guard pretty often. It's perfect for when they attempt to move in with hooks and shift their weight right when they're coming in -- completely kills their momentum. It's much harder to use when I work with Muay Thai guys though, but ofc they tend to be more keen to my kicking game anyway. I'm not sure how I feel about kicking with one leg, but I don't think I'm nearly at the level to be playing those sorts of mind games on my opponents anyway

Yeah that's some very interesting stuff, but thinking back to when i fought, i can't even imagine kicking with just my rear leg all fight. I'd also never aim intentionally for the wrist because of the threat of them moving and hitting my foot with their elbow. Getting elbowed in the top of your foot is too painful for words, especially after the adrenaline leaves your body post-fight and your foot balloons.

I've been playing around with kicking the wrist in my sparring since I watched that and I've found it to be very effective! I'm a Kickboxer, so I end up working with pressure fighters who keep a tight high guard pretty often. It's perfect for when they attempt to move in with hooks and shift their weight right when they're coming in -- completely kills their momentum. It's much harder to use when I work with Muay Thai guys though, but ofc they tend to be more keen to my kicking game anyway. I'm not sure how I feel about kicking with one leg, but I don't think I'm nearly at the level to be playing those sorts of mind games on my opponents anyway

IMO the key to it is that it's a very specific strategy for a guy who's outmatched in the kicking exchanges anyway and he just wants to get openings for his punches. So he's not looking to get fancy or try a lot of things with his kicks, just counter his opponent's kicks sometimes and unbalance them in order to land punches.
As for hitting exactly at the wrist I'd think it would be a tough spot to land at as well but he emphasized that the risk of hitting elbows was far greater when he tried to land the "regular" kick to the body. What I read from it is that if he misses the wrist then he'll be missing altogether or hitting somewhere above the shoulder anyway (if their guard is really tight).

Back