Recommend a folding knife

ooitzoo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am looking for something that is high quality, folds, has uses for both self defense and light outdoor activity (e.g. cutting rope/possibly filleting fish.) Ideally, I'd like to avoid the overly flashy or "cool dude" factor as my goal is to not attract attention to myself.

Very simply, I'd like something that opens fast and smooth, holds a good blade/edge, has solid grips, is well-made, and is multi-purpose. My budget is fairly high (within reason, of course.)

Any help is much appreciated.

Any decent Spyderco knife.

Example, Spyderco Endura

spyderco-endura-4.jpg

Any reason to take the back locking mechanism (sorry, I don't know the right name) over a liner-lock?

I always felt that the liner lock was more elegant and enabled faster opening/closing.

What is your budget? I'm a fan of the Benchmade 710 (the SBKD personally) but it will cost you almost $200 zops.

Edit for link: 710 Details | Benchmade

benchmade makes fantastic products. Zero tolerance makes nice folders.
any blade style or edge type u are looking for. Serrated, plain?

Tanto edge's are very rugged but wont fillet a fish(most folders that make good outdoor knives wont fillet a fish)

Gerber Gator II. It's beefy, but not too big, and it won't cost you so much that you're afraid to use it.
GerberGatorIILockback.jpg

I carry a SOG Aegis for my EDC uses:

pic1.jpg

The features I really like are its light weight; full flat ground, plain edge blade with a good amount of belly (very nice slicer); strong, reversible clip; and assisted opening with the arc actuator lock, which is similar to Benchmade's Axis lock.

i think spyderco is the best. high quality, great functionality, it's the best for one handed opening, it has a pocket clip, and they come in so many different styles. i got my first one twenty years ago and it's still my favorite folder. side note: if you're interested in a sharpener, the spyderco triangle sharpmaker is damn awesome

Not really into knives but saw this video the other day and it might help you decide on one to get.

Also checkout the guys youtube page, he has a brunch of reviews on drifferent Knives and others stuff.

YouTube - cutlerylover's Channel

What is your budget? I'm a fan of the Benchmade 710 (the SBKD personally) but it will cost you almost $200 zops.

Edit for link: 710 Details | Benchmade

Yea, $200 is fine. I'd probably go as high as $300 for something that's REALLY good.

benchmade makes fantastic products. Zero tolerance makes nice folders.
any blade style or edge type u are looking for. Serrated, plain?

Tanto edge's are very rugged but wont fillet a fish(most folders that make good outdoor knives wont fillet a fish)

Not sure I need it to be serrated. If I'm not cutting rope is there any benefit to this?

Why don't outdoor knives filet a fish?

pic1.jpg

The features I really like are its light weight; full flat ground, plain edge blade with a good amount of belly (very nice slicer); strong, reversible clip; and assisted opening with the arc actuator lock, which is similar to Benchmade's Axis lock.

What does EDC mean? What does a full flat ground mean? How does it compare to Benchmade in terms of quality and price? Excuse the complete lack of knowledge of the terms?

i think spyderco is the best. high quality, great functionality, it's the best for one handed opening, it has a pocket clip, and they come in so many different styles. i got my first one twenty years ago and it's still my favorite folder. side note: if you're interested in a sharpener, the spyderco triangle sharpmaker is damn awesome

How often would you say these need sharpening?

pic1.jpg

Is this the same one you carry.

You mentioned self-defense, so it must be very strong. The typical Spyderco Endura or any other plastic-handled knife is way too flimsy for self-defense, IMO. Get something really strong, if you have any thoughts of ever needing to defend yourself with it. Stabbing bone and prying/twisting it out will destroy most "tactical" folders.

Practice opening it with one hand a few thousand times (yes, really) until it's second nature.

My recommendation is a Chris Reeve.

You mentioned self-defense, so it must be very strong. The typical Spyderco Endura or any other plastic-handled knife is way too flimsy for self-defense, IMO. Get something really strong, if you have any thoughts of ever needing to defend yourself with it. Stabbing bone and prying/twisting it out will destroy most "tactical" folders.

Practice opening it with one hand a few thousand times (yes, really) until it's second nature.

My recommendation is a Chris Reeve.

Do you, by chance, have a link?

Is this the same one you carry.

Yeah except mine is has the satin finish like in the photo. I did, however, base my purchase on Cutlerylover and Nutnfancy's reviews of the knife.

What does EDC mean? What does a full flat ground mean? How does it compare to Benchmade in terms of quality and price? Excuse the complete lack of knowledge of the terms?

EDC = everyday carry

Here's a guide to blade grinds:

Blade Grinds

but the cliffs notes, I generally prefer a full flat ground blade for light duty, everyday uses (opening packages, mail, cutting paracord, etc.) a full flat grind appears like a "V" shaped wedge from the spine of the blade all the way down to the relief edge and offers the least resistance when slicing through something and slices better for light duty tasks. It's not as strong as say a sabre grind, if you were to apply lateral pressure on the side of the blade, for example if you were prying open paint cans, but you shouldn't be doing that kind of stuff with a folding knife anyways.

The SOG Aegis is very affordable, I paid like $70 CAD for mine, and I'm sure you can find it for cheaper. It uses an AUS8 stainless steel, very underrated in my opinion, and more than suitable for everyday needs. I guess a close Benchmade competitor would be the Griptilian but it lacks assisted opening and I don't think they're offered with a full flat ground blade (could be mistaken though) and it's generally more expensive than a SOG Aegis. Quality is very good either way so it's up to you to decide which features you prefer.

This: Emerson Knives

Or any Emerson w/ the wave feature. Faster to open than an automatic.

Here is the Karambit model:

How often would you say these need sharpening?[/QUOTE]

it depends on how much you use it. i've noticed though that spyderco hold it's edge pretty well. like i mentioned earlier, they come in so many different models. sounds like a spyderco police model with a half serrated blade would be right up your alley. (the police model is all metal). with your budget, you could get a fine blade AND the triangle sharpener. do not buy a knife with the little nub for one handed opening, although the blade may be great, the opening process is awkward. go with the spyderco, i promise you will not regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back