Recommend a folding knife

I'm curious do you guys carry those large fixed blade knives around with for EDC? Do you conceal them somehow (if so, how)?

I am just curious what the bystander reaction is to something like that.

The largest blade I carry around with me is the Cold Steel Spartan a page or so back, which is primarily for self-defense and secondarily for general cutting tasks.

As far as the large fixed wilderness blades are concerned they are for outdoors use so they aren't really just carried around casually. If I'm going camping or day hiking or anything of that nature its typically going to be in my pack until I reach my destination, and then I will move it to my belt. After all the RTAK II is a 16.5 inch knife, that weighs a little under 2lbs. Theres no way I'm gonna carry it around unless I'm out camping; hiking, etc, and there's no way I possess enough charm and mental trickery to convince someone on the subway that "its okay that I have this strapped to my waist and leg" lol

Last edited:
there's no way I possess enough charm and mental trickery to convince someone on the subway that "its okay that I have this strapped to my waist and leg" lol

Hahaha

Jedi mind trick: "you are not concerned about this knife, you are NOT concerned about this knife, you are not concerned about this knife..."

I'm gonna be honest. How I would react to someone strapped with a fixed blade would totally depend on how they look altogether.

If some tweaker in a track suit walks up to me with a fixed blade in his waistband then I'd most likely be quite concerned.

However, the other day at a coffee shop there was an older gentleman in front of me waiting in line wearing jeans, cowboy boots, a beat to hell flannel jacket and a really old trucker hat. He also had a fixed blade in a sheath on his belt. I didn't think twice about it.

So I pulled the trigger on one of these today, after I found out that not only were they sold in Canada, but also a somewhat close by store has them:

spyderco-endura-4-wave.jpg

feel bad that my other Endura is pretty much obsolete now after less than a month.

I'm curious, how are you finding this knife and the other spyderco that you purchased?

I'm curious, how are you finding this knife and the other spyderco that you purchased?

The Emerson Wave feature in that particular Endura pretty much ruined every other folding knife for me. I'm one of those kinds of people who like to practice and adhere to a specific and particular system of movements and habits. I always carry my wallet in my left back pocket because my uniform pants in high school had a button on the right back pocket that I never wanted to have to worry about. Now that I'm so used to the Emerson opener, I can't even imagine going back to opening a folding knife any other way.

*shrug*

The new endura 4 is full flat ground right?

WAW has test production Delica and Endura 4's with full flat ground blades. Decisions decisions.

The new endura 4 is full flat ground right?

Ya, Spyderco is doing a test run of the Delica and Endura 4's being in FFG. If they sell well they will probably keep them around. If not, they may go back to the saber grind. I guess Sal expressed concern that the tip's were too delicate for FFG. I really dont see that being the case unless you abuse your knife.

Quality stuff though, my Spyderco Stretch is FFG, very similar to the Delica's and Endura 4's (as far as style) and I love it.

Ya, Spyderco is doing a test run of the Delica and Endura 4's being in FFG. If they sell well they will probably keep them around. If not, they may go back to the saber grind. I guess Sal expressed concern that the tip's were too delicate for FFG. I really dont see that being the case unless you abuse your knife.

Quality stuff though, my Spyderco Stretch is FFG, very similar to the Delica's and Endura 4's (as far as style) and I love it.

I predict my wife is going to be angry with me at some point over the next few weeks. The blue handled Endura looks great. I like that it's a bit of a larger knife. I think I want to get something bigger than the mini-griptilian.

Thought this could be cool for those that are interested:

Kershaw OD-2 Pocket Knife for $13 + $6 s&h
Hotness:
Twitter Share
REI Outlet offers the Kershaw OD-2 Pocket Knife for $12.93. Shipping adds $5.99, or choose free ship-to-store. Even with shipping, it's the lowest total price we could find by $8. Sales tax is added where applicable. This folding knife has s drop-point stainless steel blade and pocket clip.

http://dw.com.com/redir?astid=2&des...ntent&lop=online&edId=3&siteid=9&channelid=33

I have to say, I recently picked up a Spyderco Tenacious and Endura 4 FFG and if you can get past the somewhat unconventional design and materials, spydercos are seriously well thought out, quality pieces of engineering and craftsmanship.

I desperately want a spyderco Stretch!! Those things have such an awesome blade shape and are just the right size for me. Also I think I'm going to get an FFG delica and maybe the Pacific Salt

So lately I've developed a thing for Swiss Army Knives, particularly the 2.5" variety. I received a Wenger Esquire as part of a Swiss Army cologne package one Christmas, but I rarely ever used it.

translucent_600_sku.png

I dug it up the other day and attached it to my keychain and I rather like it; keys are essential items that pretty much have to be on your person all the time anyways and while I'm pretty consistent with multitool and knife carry, a small SAK provides a bit of that "just in case" redundancy without being bulky or heavy. I'll probably pick up a few of these in the future for myself and to give out as gifts:

412FQtsMCDL.jpg

Cool, I like those jlagman, if my key ring didn't already resemble a medieval dungeon master's I'd consider getting one as well.

I was going to order a baton from a local supplier for when I'm walking through the park early morning. There are quite a few coyotes around. But the laws here in canada are kind of vague. I think it's legal to own one, but it's illegal to carry one.

I was going to order a baton from a local supplier for when I'm walking through the park early morning. There are quite a few coyotes around. But the laws here in canada are kind of vague. I think it's legal to own one, but it's illegal to carry one.

I don't know how it is in BC, but in Ontario (and I'm not entirely sure about this either) a license is required for a baton, which is usually only issued to security or law enforcement personnel anyways.

BTW, I'm happy with that red SAK that I have on my keychain, but my inner retard is attracted to the shiny LED light on the clear one.

I don't know how it is in BC, but in Ontario (and I'm not entirely sure about this either) a license is required for a baton, which is usually only issued to security or law enforcement personnel anyways.

BTW, I'm happy with that red SAK that I have on my keychain, but my inner retard is attracted to the shiny LED light on the clear one.

A guy I know carries one all the time. After getting jumped 5 times on the skytrain he says he'd rather get caught by the cops carrying one then get caught again on the train without one.

Back