Recommend a folding knife

I've been to both REI and Turners and handled the Mini Griptilian and Leek. They both feel good in the hand, although I think I preferred the Griptilian. It felt sturdier and I prefer the AXIS lock over a frame lock. The more I handle knives, the more I appreciate having a thin, concealable one. The little Buck Parallax I have right now disappears in my pocket and is hardly noticeable, which isn't true for many other knives (it's shown below, and mine has a plain edge). I wish I could find a decent sized knife that was thin and easy to carry around, which is why the Leek is appealing (and it's low cost is nice too). If I raised my price range, are there any nice Benchmades that are thin? I've heard good things about the 940.

If you really like knives with thin scales, then I really suggest giving Spyderco another chance. One of the things I really prefer on my Endura 4 over my Aegis is the thinner profile and the way it sits in your hand. I stayed away from Spyderco for quite some time because I thought that all their knives looked goofy, but once I handled them I realized that all their design queues are purposeful and ergonomic; the scallops in the scales and the jimped thumb ramp provide a really comfortable sabre grip. Handle the blade, see how you like it. They also offer knives with liner locks like the Tenacious:

C122_L.jpg

:: Spyderco Product Details ::

Or if you're dead set on something similar to the Axis lock, the Manix 2, which is pricier:

C101G2.jpg

Why do people look for tip up/down carry specifically? Is it purely a comfort thing or is there some other reason?

Why do people look for tip up/down carry specifically? Is it purely a comfort thing or is there some other reason?

Personal preference, it also depends on how you retrieve your knife from your pocket. Tip up feels more natural to me, when I extract the knife from my pocket, I always maintain a sabre grip and a tip up carry will allow me to access the thumbstud/hole without having to flip the knife around.

This is probably a dumb question. But can someone explain to me in a little more detail how the assisted opening mechanism works on the Kershaw Leek. Based on the youtube vids it almost looks like a switchblade.

Also. I get a little chuckle when I'm watching a knife review on Youtube and the guy reviewing the knife has a bunch of band-aids on his fingers.

This is probably a dumb question. But can someone explain to me in a little more detail how the assisted opening mechanism works on the Kershaw Leek. Based on the youtube vids it almost looks like a switchblade.

Also. I get a little chuckle when I'm watching a knife review on Youtube and the guy reviewing the knife has a bunch of band-aids on his fingers.

YouTube - Tenacious Cut

The Leek is very much like a switchblade. It's harder to manually open the blade with one hand, that's for sure.

There's a lever on the spine flips the blade out. Very poky. Liner lock. There's also a safety feature while the blade is closed.

I can't close it with one hand. Something about how sleek it is alerts caution.

The Leek is very much like a switchblade. It's harder to manually open the blade with one hand, that's for sure.

There's a lever on the spine flips the blade out. Very poky. Liner lock. There's also a safety feature while the blade is closed.

I can't close it with one hand. Something about how sleek it is alerts caution.

It looks so fucking cool, but yeah I can see myself losing a finger playing around with it.

The benchmade is tougher to open.

If you really like knives with thin scales, then I really suggest giving Spyderco another chance. One of the things I really prefer on my Endura 4 over my Aegis is the thinner profile and the way it sits in your hand. I stayed away from Spyderco for quite some time because I thought that all their knives looked goofy, but once I handled them I realized that all their design queues are purposeful and ergonomic; the scallops in the scales and the jimped thumb ramp provide a really comfortable sabre grip. Handle the blade, see how you like it. They also offer knives with liner locks like the Tenacious:

C122_L.jpg

Or if you're dead set on something similar to the Axis lock, the Manix 2, which is pricier:

C101G2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. While at Turners, I got to handle the Delica 3 (or 4?) and I really did not like it. The plastic handles, thumb hole instead of the stud, pocket clip that isn't very discreet, and just overall feel didn't sit well with me. The thumb ramp/jimping was quite well done, and I must admit I didn't spend all that much time with it, but I'm not interested in Spyderco at the moment. At this point it's between the Aegis or a Mini-Griptilian. I'll probably be getting a Leek at some point since it's affordable, but I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying around something that looks like a switchblade in Southern California. It'd scare too many people, despite the fact that's legal. I'm also trying to decide on the size of the knife I'd like. The Mini Griptilian fits in my pocket better and doesn't look as intimidating as a full size Griptilian, but the larger size model feels better in my hand.

If only I'd known knives could be as time consuming and interesting as firearms...

So I just wanted to share the knife I ordered tonight. Not really an EDC knife (although obviously you could use it as one) but this is more for self defense, folding survival, and cool factor.

Cold Steel Spartan:

4280.jpg

If you didnt watch all of the second video they tested the tri-lock design 4 inches from the pivot up to 468 lbs. It was still going strong and had no blade play.

Last edited:
So I pulled the trigger on one of these today, after I found out that not only were they sold in Canada, but also a somewhat close by store has them:

spyderco-endura-4-wave.jpg

feel bad that my other Endura is pretty much obsolete now after less than a month.

So I pulled the trigger on one of these today, after I found out that not only were they sold in Canada, but also a somewhat close by store has them:

spyderco-endura-4-wave.jpg

feel bad that my other Endura is pretty much obsolete now after less than a month.

Have you used a knife with an Emerson opener before? I wonder if it destroys pockets. The Cold Steel thumb-plate I know will put my pockets to work so I may reinforce the inside where it will catch.

That's a big knife. I like the handle design.

Ya its like a pocket machete and from what Ive seen and felt it carries surprisingly well for its size. Im in some bad areas sometimes so that's really what I wanted. A quick deploying knife with attitude that could take a beating.

Just got my Aegis!

So far I am very impressed with it. The opening is fast and the lock up is tight. I've been opening and closing it over and over. I have no problem operating it one-handed.

Jlagman was right this is a superb knife and my only criticism is the pocket clip being a bit too tight. I seem to really have to force it in to go into my pocket or really pull it to get it out.

Just got my Aegis!

So far I am very impressed with it. The opening is fast and the lock up is tight. I've been opening and closing it over and over. I have no problem operating it one-handed.

Jlagman was right this is a superb knife and my only criticism is the pocket clip being a bit too tight. I seem to really have to force it in to go into my pocket or really pull it to get it out.

lol nice. Every time I get a knife I have to just open and close it for a few days. Like a kid with a new toy

Have you used a knife with an Emerson opener before? I wonder if it destroys pockets. The Cold Steel thumb-plate I know will put my pockets to work so I may reinforce the inside where it will catch.

LOL, I failed hard @ the knife store today trying to use it, clerk had to show me the technique on how to open it, but after about 15 - 20 minutes, it's almost second nature. I was wearing jeans today, so it hasn't really done any damage but only time will tell. I will say that I may be more hesitant to carry it if I were wearing dress pants, but with cargos or jeans, I'd have no reservations. Perhaps I can carry my regular Endura for those days when I need to dress more formally and wear less rugged pants.

Just got my Aegis!

The pocket clip on my bench made is also very tight.

Back