Recommend a folding knife

So I pulled the trigger on one of these today, after I found out that not only were they sold in Canada, but also a somewhat close by store has them:

spyderco-endura-4-wave.jpg

feel bad that my other Endura is pretty much obsolete now after less than a month.

You're in Canada?

Would you mind sending me the details on how you got your firearms permit? I saw in the handgun thread that you own a couple.

You're in Canada?

Would you mind sending me the details on how you got your firearms permit? I saw in the handgun thread that you own a couple.

I said somewhere that I "own a couple" of guns? :redface:

I actually don't, this is pretty much how I take care of my shooting fix:

Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? - (Next: Sat/Sun, June 12/13, 2010 in London, ON) - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

That or Vegas. I too am still researching and saving up for (more so the latter) an RPAL. Shooting restricted is a pretty expensive initial investment and I had the unfortunate luck of graduating last year when the economy tanked, so I haven't been able to find "real" work yet.

I said somewhere that I "own a couple" of guns? :redface:

I actually don't, this is pretty much how I take care of my shooting fix:

Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? - (Next: Sat/Sun, June 12/13, 2010 in London, ON) - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

That or Vegas. I too am still researching and saving up for (more so the latter) an RPAL. Shooting restricted is a pretty expensive initial investment and I had the unfortunate luck of graduating last year when the economy tanked, so I haven't been able to find "real" work yet.

Shit, my bad.

Looks like there is a nice sale going on at Sierra Trading Post:

Sierra Trading Post offers the Byrd by Spyderco Finch Pocket Razor Edge Knife for $9.95. With $5.95 for shipping, it's the lowest total price we could find for this knife by $11. This ambidextrous tool features G10 handle scales, 1-handed opening, 1-7/8" steel blade, and more.

Update: The price has since fallen to $7.96. Plus, apply coupon code "SFACE52" to net free shipping. Together, that's $8 under the price above and the best deal we've seen on any Byrd by Spyderco knife. Deal ends May 24.

Byrd by Spyderco Finch Pocket Knife - Razor Edge - Save 57%

MOK3410.jpg

On a bit of an impulse I bought this little thing at Big 5 since it seemed like a good deal for $20. It's quite sharp right out of the box, it's got a nifty little flipper (although it's non assisted, not their SpeedSafe design), and it's really easy to carry around. It's only about 2 ounces, the G-10 scales provide a good amount of traction, and it's wonderfully thin. The liner lock is a bit tricky to get at and it isn't anywhere near sturdy enough to think about using for tougher tasks, but if you guys are interested in a cheap, decent little EDC blade I've give this one a look. My particular model came with thumbstuds and is a plain edge, but there's a few different models.

I'm also going to be picking up a Mini-Griptilian soon.

I saw the bump on this thread and thought it would be a good time for a 2-week review of my AEGIS:

The good:

* Extremely fast and smooth opening.
* Extremely sharp (probably sharper then any knife I've handled.)
* Very light. When I have it clipped to my pocket I literally forget that its there.
* Easy open and close one-handed. I notice some people comment that it'd be a bit difficult to operate one-handed (e.g. the arc lock/torsion springs combo being hard to close) but its pretty easy for me and I can close with little effort pretty quickly.
* Feels very sturdy. Obviously, its not a fixed blade and I would recommend using it as a level but nice to know that you could in the event of any extreme emergency.
* VERY comfortable feel in hand.
* Low profile pocket clip. The knife is nearly invisible when clip to the inside of the pocket. Great design for the clip and I wish more knives had this feature.

The bad:

* The pocket clip is a bit too tight on the pocket. It takes some serious effort to pull this bad boy out. I usually pull on the outside of the clip and then pull the knife out.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. This is a great blade and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Since getting my mini-griptilian I've now developed an OCD habit of opening/closing it all the time.

The click of the blade opening is like music to my ears.

Freaks the gf out a bit tho huh?

My wife's already used to it. She just thinks I'm going to lose a finger or something.

I'm hooked. I'm already looking at some other blades for EDC use.

Spyderco Dragonfly
Spyderco Delica
Spyderco Centofante
Sog Flash I
Sog Flash II

Something flat ground. I'm also looking at possibly ordering a multi tool(a la Leatherman) for my pops when he goes fishing.

Got the Pacific Salt coming for his Father's day gift.

Last edited:
There are times when I'm out in public and I can't wait to get home, just so I can play with my knife; repeatedly opening and closing it. Though it isn't a folding knife, I ordered an ESEE 5 (RC-5) yesterday:

esee-5.jpg

My other fixed blade is a SOG Tech Bowie:

SogTechBowieNewNet.jpg

which is cool and all, but it isn't a survival blade.

I think I've narrowed my next choice down to the Delica or the Centofante.

Are you ordering from Knifezone?

Workwear Canada.com

They offer free shipping for orders over $75, that's pretty much what sold me. This'll be the first knife I don't buy locally (within the GTA) but it's a fixed blade; you've gotta really try to fuck up to build a shitty fixed blade, plus the reviews about this knife have been glowing.

New Knives I ordered last night:

New EDC blade, Lone Wolf Blackfoot (Dark Raven) with Ebano Scales:
LC23800-PLN.jpg

And I finally decided to knuckle down on a survival blade.
Ontario RTAK II:
RTAK-II%28WithSheath%29ForSite.2.jpg

I may have someone make a kydex sheath.

There are times when I'm out in public and I can't wait to get home, just so I can play with my knife; repeatedly opening and closing it. Though it isn't a folding knife, I ordered an ESEE 5 (RC-5) yesterday:

esee-5.jpg

That RAT ESEE 5 is a bad ass blade

That RAT ESEE 5 is a bad ass blade

I agree, I've had my Tech Bowie for months now, but it was a purchase of passion more than anything, I don't have much use for a fighting knife. I'm trying to become more of an outdoors man so I figured I'd need a survival blade. I'd love to go to a survival school this summer and learn how to craft shelters, make fires, find water, hunt for food, etc.

I agree, I've had my Tech Bowie for months now, but it was a purchase of passion more than anything, I don't have much use for a fighting knife. I'm trying to become more of an outdoors man so I figured I'd need a survival blade. I'd love to go to a survival school this summer and learn how to craft shelters, make fires, find water, hunt for food, etc.

Im trying to make more time to spend time outdoors as well. I originally was going to go with the Ka-Bar Becker BK-9 but decided with all the things I had been hearing about the RTAK II I couldnt go wrong.

I'm curious do you guys carry those large fixed blade knives around with for EDC? Do you conceal them somehow (if so, how)?

I am just curious what the bystander reaction is to something like that.

Back