Recommendations For NYC

Dougall

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Anybody on here from New York/ or have even visited? Looking recommendations for bars, places to eat etc.
Would like to hear about to hear about any "unmissable" spots or any that might be lesser known but still great.
Thanks

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the things I really miss from New York.

Such a big city. Can you narrow down what kind of food you like and places you are looking for? I try to avoid Midtown Manhattan but if you only had a day and wanted to see the most famous stuff, that would be where to go. You can walk from Penn Station to the Empire State Building to Times Square if the weather is decent. Hopefully you have more than a day and some specific interests so I can give you something better than that.

A few less travelled spots would be getting Greek food in Astoria (Queens), Italian Food on Athur Avenue (in the Bronx, where a Bronx Tale takes place) or going to 125th and Lennox area in Harlem where there are now a lot of trendy restaurants (Red Rooster, Sylvia’s, Corner Social). Visiting Central Park and the Met museum or the Museum of Natural History can be done together because they are situated right on the border of the park and there are plenty of good, smaller restaurants in either of those neighborhoods.

Such a big city. Can you narrow down what kind of food you like and places you are looking for? I try to avoid Midtown Manhattan but if you only had a day and wanted to see the most famous stuff, that would be where to go. You can walk from Penn Station to the Empire State Building to Times Square if the weather is decent. Hopefully you have more than a day and some specific interests so I can give you something better than that.

A few less travelled spots would be getting Greek food in Astoria (Queens), Italian Food on Athur Avenue (in the Bronx, where a Bronx Tale takes place) or going to 125th and Lennox area in Harlem where there are now a lot of trendy restaurants (Red Rooster, Sylvia’s, Corner Social). Visiting Central Park and the Met museum or the Museum of Natural History can be done together because they are situated right on the border of the park and there are plenty of good, smaller restaurants in either of those neighborhoods.

ill have a little over a week there, so minus a few days doing the obvious touristy things like the empire state building, statue of liberty and the bus tour etc ill still have a good few days to explore everywhere else. Ill also try the typical fastfood places atleast once as most of them aren't in my country and I'd like to see if they're any good.
For food, I like pretty much anything. But id like to make sure I try some good Bagels and Pizza as I've always heard New York is known for these. Id also like some Mexican and Italian. I don't mind travelling a few miles away from the city center, I'm a big an of those kinds of gems hidden up backstreets away from the main crowds. New York is incredibly crowded and busy from what I hear but hopefully places like this exist here to, atleast to some extent.
If you could recommend one great place for;
Pizza
Bagels/breakfasts
Burritos (Mexican in general)
Italian
Id like to find some good Irish bars while I'm over and I'm sure there will be no shortage there lol
For other things to do, I've an interest in Movies and TV shows, Science/technology and history. I know there are alot of museums in the area and I've read good things about the two you've mentioned, but have you ever visited any of the others?
I know that's quite alot to ask and I don't expect too indepth a reply, but I just prefer to hear from people who know the area and are impartial rather than get recommendations from online articles which are normally biased and contain some sort promotion.
Any info is appreciated

If you like ramen try Ivan Ramen in Lower East Side.

What kinda music you into?

Eat our pizza. It is best to go to cheapest looking place you can find. There are some yuppy/hipster pizza places out their trying to be prententious. It has to have some minority working there.

Try a street cart hot dog, get some chicken/gyro over rice, and I guess eat at a diner. Anyone will do.

Do you already know what part of town you’re staying in?
Only booking the accommodation this week, although it looks like it will be lower Manhattan as this area seems to have the best prices. Long island city may also be an option if it is significantly cheaper, at the minute it looks to be but Itrying to price and travelling i would have to do.

What kinda music you into?
I like rock, guns n roses, red hot chilli peppers, oasis would be some off the top of my head. but i dont mind country music and rap(older stuff none of this lil' crap")

Eat our pizza. It is best to go to cheapest looking place you can find. There are some yuppy/hipster pizza places out their trying to be prententious. It has to have some minority working there.

Try a street cart hot dog, get some chicken/gyro over rice, and I guess eat at a diner. Anyone will do.
Ive heard about a few pizza places, a friend was telling me about 99 cents pizza? Maybe pizza is very cheap over there but it sounds like this might be a sacrifice of quality at that price lol
Gyro and rice, Halal guys are the standard here are they or has that changed?

Only booking the accommodation this week, although it looks like it will be lower Manhattan as this area seems to have the best prices. Long island city may also be an option if it is significantly cheaper, at the minute it looks to be but Itrying to price and travelling i would have to do.

I like rock, guns n roses, red hot chilli peppers, oasis would be some off the top of my head. but i dont mind country music and rap(older stuff none of this lil' crap")

Ive heard about a few pizza places, a friend was telling me about 99 cents pizza? Maybe pizza is very cheap over there but it sounds like this might be a sacrifice of quality at that price lol
Go to Williamsburg, check out Rocka Rolla,Duffs Brooklyn,Union Pool all walking distance from each other.

There's so much pizza in New York. Try a bunch of different places and specifically stuff you don't have where you're from.

Also, go to Katz's.

Ok so slightly off topic, but how are the buses and subways for getting around. rather then getting the city sightseeing bus for so many days can you get a subway pass or normal bus pass that allow unlimited transport for a week or so?

Ok so slightly off topic, but how are the buses and subways for getting around. rather then getting the city sightseeing bus for so many days can you get a subway pass or normal bus pass that allow unlimited transport for a week or so?

You can get a 7 day unlimited. Manhattan is also pretty small depending on how much you like walking and looking around the city.

A regular slice used to be around 99c before the gentrification, and the GFC, and all that. Nowadays people are making smaller pies, and selling smaller slices at 99c. But its just NY pizza a little smaller. Toppings are expensive though now, and have been since gentrification.

I believe Halal Guys started in NYC. They still have cart at I think 53rd, and 7th Ave or something. I personally dont like it that much. I prefer other street carts. Any of them actually. Halal Guys is kind of dry to me.

I actually found ellis island really interesting. Had a few drinks in the dead rabbit and got the subway up to grand central station, impressed by that place too. A good broadway show, the east village has some nice bars. Last time I was there I stayed beside MSG, so was visiting bars all around midtown mostly. Joshua tree was a bit of fun. There's something really cool about leaving a bar on a good buzz and seeing the empire state and other buildings all lit up. I love NY

Back