Recommended BJJ schools around Weehawken/Union City, NJ

Ninja Pants

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for a BJJ school in NJ close to Weehawken/Union City. I know that I'm close to NY and there are a lot of great schools in NY, but I'm specifically looking for a school in NJ to avoid the additional costs of commuting in. I'd also prefer one that isn't in Hoboken because parking there can often be a huge pain.

Thanks!

If you change your mind about Hoboken, come check out Edge Hoboken, it's a 10 minute walk from the 2nd Ave Light Rail if you are close to the Light Rail. BJJ classes are led by Renzo BB David Branch, who just beat Paulo Filho at WSOF 2 last Saturday.

They also have a wrestling class once a week that's led by former Div-1 wrestlers. I really like it considering I've never wrestled before.

There's a Renzo school in Newark, in the Ironbound section.

if you change your mind about hoboken, come check out edge hoboken, it's a 10 minute walk from the 2nd ave light rail if you are close to the light rail. Bjj classes are led by renzo bb david branch, who just beat paulo filho at wsof 2 last saturday.

They also have a wrestling class once a week that's led by former div-1 wrestlers. I really like it considering i've never wrestled before.

+ 1

The Curuma Academy at East Coast Fitness Gym in North Bergen. 5 min from Weehawken. Only evening classes so it may not fit your schedule, but a great group of guys and coach is awesome black belt from Brazil.

Saddle Brook is 20 minutes away. Silver Fox BJJ is an excellent school with a parking lot. Two black belt instructors and two brown belt instructors. Karel Pravec, in particular, is a 2nd degree black belt under Renzo Gracie.

Theres new renzo school in fort lee which is very close by. Parking n ft lee is usually very good. I may actually check it out at some point.

Edge hoboken is really good btw. I forget their parking situation but their facility is like luxury sports club. Instructor was good and many high level students. Some of their div 1 wrestlers are really good to roll with.

Doesnt Marcos Santos have a school in Edgewater? Anyways there is some mean grub on that little highway there. You can eat good after you train.

I'd love for you to try my school www.SilverFoxBJJ.com (our beautiful facility is about 1/4 mile from Garden State Parkway/Rt. 80 intersection), but I think the closest school to you will be Jamal Patterson's place in Kenilworth? - www.AllStarBJJ.com
Jamal is Renzo Gracie BB, and one of my team mates. Very good school.
Karel (Silver Fox) Pravec
www.SilverFoxBJJ.com

Thanks for the responses guys! I know it is an old thread but I wanted to share my experiences so far...I called one school this week and asked what their beginner class schedule is. It is important for me to have weekend options due to a tight work week and the guy on the phone wouldn't tell me. He kept insisting that I come in for a 20 minute tour to "answer all my questions." I told him I don't live super close and don't want to waste my time if there's no basic schedule fit, so again I asked if he could just tell me if they had classes on Sunday because that's something I really need and he still wouldn't budge. I hung up in frustration. You could tell everything he said was scripted like he was prepping for an 80's fitness gym membership pitch.

The second gym I visited and the teacher almost kicked me out because he thought it was strange I was watching a class and texting my wife about how the class was (if I'm going to drop a few grand a year on lessons I'm going to pay attention to the teacher's style and share the info with the spouse). Ultimately, he accused me of being a spy for a TKD school down the street. I offered to show him my texts and he just shrugged it off. I left completely turned off. It is too bad because I was seriously considering this school strictly based on its schedule fit.

When did customer service go to die at small businesses?

It seems like fewer schools put their schedules on their websites now, Sadly, it probably comes from LI marketing tactics. They want you to call to ask about the schedule, like you did, and then you have to put up with all their annoying bullshit on the phone.

Thanks for the responses guys! I know it is an old thread but I wanted to share my experiences so far...I called one school this week and asked what their beginner class schedule is. It is important for me to have weekend options due to a tight work week and the guy on the phone wouldn't tell me. He kept insisting that I come in for a 20 minute tour to "answer all my questions." I told him I don't live super close and don't want to waste my time if there's no basic schedule fit, so again I asked if he could just tell me if they had classes on Sunday because that's something I really need and he still wouldn't budge. I hung up in frustration. You could tell everything he said was scripted like he was prepping for an 80's fitness gym membership pitch.

The second gym I visited and the teacher almost kicked me out because he thought it was strange I was watching a class and texting my wife about how the class was (if I'm going to drop a few grand a year on lessons I'm going to pay attention to the teacher's style and share the info with the spouse). Ultimately, he accused me of being a spy for a TKD school down the street. I offered to show him my texts and he just shrugged it off. I left completely turned off. It is too bad because I was seriously considering this school strictly based on its schedule fit.

When did customer service go to die at small businesses?

wow...I can't imagine Marcelo Garcia or any of his instructors or staff acting like this.
this is insane..

get on the ferry and come to MG's

Jcashkid will welcome you
:wink:

I know this is an old post but I wanted to add that I will be opening up a location on River Road in Edgewater NJ. I currently teach out of Maspeth Queens. I am a blackbelt under 3rd Dan Joao Zeferino (Team Renzo Gracie)

https://www.brazilianjiujitsuacademyofnewjersey.com/

Professor Alan Teo runs a great academy out of Fort Lee as well. However, all of these schools listed here previously are great schools.

Back