Recurring back injuries

DoubleAAZ

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
So I used to wrestle and have been getting back into it slowly last year. I know my body is not what it was I'm about 88kgs and used to wrestle at 66kgs. I doing the big 3 at home and when I have been getting into my wrestling I seem to injure my back within about 2 months of training. I always hoped deadlifts and squatting would kind of keep me strong but it doesn't seem to be preventing me hurting my back. Its not always the same place on my back its upper and lower. I always end up wrestling bigger guys in sparring and I feel like that definitely plays a part in getting the injuries.

Are deadlifts and squats actually helping? Should I lose weight and wrestle the midgets? I'm not fat but could lose about 5 kgs. Does anyone have any good exercises that will translate well to protection for my spine in wrestling?

Lose weight. And look up Foundation Training.

Don't know if this is any help, but I had a couple of nasty back sprains last year. Kept me out of training for about a month in total. Since I just lift for fun, I don't have to use a barbell for Deadlifts. I switched to using a Trap Bar and so far haven't had any back problems.

Also, you might consider posting a video of yourself Squatting and Deadliting so more experienced lifters can check your form. Use weights light enough not to injure you. If it's not an obvious form issue, it may be physiological, in which case you need to see a Sports Doc or Physiotherapist.

Look up the back mechanic and purchase it. It's a book by the leading authority in back issues Stu McGill. There is tons of info worth its weight in gold.

Deadlifts and squats may be detrimental depending on what you have and how far along you are in said injury but those are two excercises that, when done correctly, will bullet proof your back.

Also if you aren't already stretch the shit out of your hips and foam roll your lower extremeties like it's your job.

Mine is actually piriformis syndrome. So I start at my hamstrings and go to my hips. Stretch everything thoroughly every day at least once.

Thanks guys I'm going to look into it. I've thought about doing form check stuff but maybe not on this site sherbros can be harsh .I will definitely look into that book back mechanic. I have a foam roller and I'm not great at using it so that figures. The last chiropractor gave me some exercises which is really unweighted hip thrusters and I have been doing those too

Lighten the weight you are using. If you injure your back again. Lighten the weight again or QUIT doing that movement.

Let me disclaimer this post with a big TO EACH HIS OWN so I don't get eaten alive...but I had chronic lower back pain and regular visits to a chiropractor have helped tremendously.

Not saying it works for everyone but it did for me.

Thanks guys I'm going to look into it. I've thought about doing form check stuff but maybe not on this site sherbros can be harsh .I will definitely look into that book back mechanic. I have a foam roller and I'm not great at using it so that figures. The last chiropractor gave me some exercises which is really unweighted hip thrusters and I have been doing those too

By posting a video you will get honest criticism which should be the point of posting the video. No one on here will be an over the top dick--at least not in my experiences

Back