Recycling: What We Can Do To (Finally) Reduce & Reuse Plastic Waste Instead of Exporting To China

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Arkain2K, May 29, 2018.

1. mb23100

mb23100 Silver Belt

I have definitely noticed a lot of restaurants don't give out straws anymore unless requested.

HomerThompson likes this.
  2. Bloodworth

Bloodworth Silver Belt

For a long time China has been buying America's contaminated plastics and recycling them back into water bottles and toys.

Then sales them back.

But no other country would allow those chemicals in their plastic toys and water bottles.

China dont Give a f.

And they do this all in a coal burning factory.

uppercutbus likes this.
  3. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

4. regmma123

regmma123 Purple Belt

Of course it’s profitable

It’s also pigheaded, shortsighted and reckless

HomerThompson and Bald1 like this.
  5. Arkain2K

Travel industry takes aim at reducing plastic waste
    Nancy Trejos, USA TODAY | May 31, 2018

[​IMG]
    Marriott International is replacing small amenity bottles with re-usable Paul Mitchell Tea Tree dispensers

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...tting-rid-plastic-straws-and-waste/658804002/

Bald1, HockeyBjj and HomerThompson like this.
  6. regmma123

regmma123 Purple Belt

that’s a recent development

7. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

I wasn’t on the team, but in college a senior design group made a project that took plastic milk jugs and water bottles, heated them with nothing but solar energy, and at the end was a shingle that was actually Durable and waterproof to be good for 20 years on a hut

It was a painfully slow process, but the capability is there judging by that working prototype I saw

Arkain2K likes this.
  8. Fugazy

Fugazy Aka Ferrari Houseshoes

Shingles, siding, that kind of stuff I believe. Entire buildings, support structures, I am skeptical of that.

HockeyBjj likes this.
  9. JonnyRingo84

JonnyRingo84 Gold Belt

i think about shit like this all the time. the grocery store cashiers where i live are always trying to put drinks/beer with handles that i buy in plastic bags for me to carry out. wtf for? they have F'ing handles on them already.

Sohei and Neph like this.
  10. Arkain2K

We're not talking about high-rise office buildings here.

The framing structure of the typical one or two story house is still just good old dimensional lumber.

[​IMG]

If this stuff is four times stronger than concrete, it's sure as hell sturdier than wood.

11. Fugazy

I'm sure it is initially. But I'd be highly suspect of how it holds up over time, especially in areas with hot summers or cold winters.

One of the links say these houses should last 60yrs, there are houses in my area made of wood and stone that are 200+ years old on their original frames.

Even quality, high density, high rigidity plastics sag. Look at vinyl decking or smaller storage buildings that are made of plastics. I get that the overall idea here is new, but building with plastic isn't new at all.

I'd hope that something like this would work out, but I'm just skeptical right now.

bufetadanacara likes this.
  12. Arkain2K

What's there to be skeptical about that incredible rated lifetime, consider that these affordable pre-fab houses are aimed squarely at the temporary shelters segment?

60 years is an enormously long life for a temporary refugees shelter, like the $6,800 units in Colombia mentioned on Page 1. Chances are they would serve their intended purpose wonderfully, then dissembled and put in storage after the job is done, until they are needed again.

Many governments around the world are also thinking about building homeless shelters to replace the tent cities in their neighborhoods, my own County included. These pre-fab houses would make an excellent choice.

And since they only take less than 5 days to put together, they are also great for emergency situations for the families who REALLY needs a roof over their heads. Sure as hell beats the U.N-issued canvas tents that desperate families had to live in like dirty rats for months after the Haiti earthquake, or the frankenstein sheds that poor Asian villagers along the coasts pieced together with debris after the Asian tsunami.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  13. Fugazy

I see where you are coming from but i am thinking of them in place of the kind of housing I normally see.

In the types of situations you described this plastic housing would be more than adequate.

14. Black Helicopters

Black Helicopters Green Belt

If this is as good as this post makes it seem it’s a welcome alternative on many levels. Building houses has pretty much been the same for a long time now unlike say building a car and is one of many reasons why housing is expensive now. That it’s environmentally friendly is more important though not what companies and consumers actually care about lol

15. Neph

Neph Purple Belt

Whale dies in Thai waters after swallowing 80 plastic bags

[​IMG]

Photo:
    An autopsy found 80 plastic bags in the whale's stomach after it died in Thailand.

Thailand coastal authorities say a whale found in the south of the country died after swallowing 80 plastic bags.

Thailand's Department of Marine and Coastal Resources says the small male pilot whale was found last week.

The whale was spotted in a canal near the Malaysian border, unable to swim.

Officials tried to help by covering it with a sunshade and attempting to use boats to help it float, the BBC reported.

But it suffered convulsions during the rescue attempt and vomited five plastic bags shortly before it died.

An autopsy revealed plastic bags weighing eight kilograms inside the whale's stomach.

Thailand is one of the world's largest consumers of plastic bags, which kill hundreds of marine creatures living near the country's beaches each year.

Last month, the Thai government said it was considering a levy on disposable plastic shopping bags.

A study published this year revealed there was up to 16 times more waste in the Pacific Ocean than previously thought.

Drag netting and an aerial survey showed the Great Pacific Garbage Patch covered 1.6 million square kilometres — an area almost the same size as Queensland.

16. Arkain2K

Over 60 countries have introduced bans, fees to cut single-use plastic waste
    CBS/AP June 5, 2018

[​IMG]
    A seagull pecks at a plastic bag in Venice Beach, California, January 30, 2017.​

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/over-60-countries-introduced-bans-fees-single-use-plastic-waste/

Bald1 likes this.
  17. Arkain2K

18. Arkain2K

Your Recycling Gets Recycled, Right? Maybe, or Maybe Not
    Plastics and papers from dozens of American cities and towns are being dumped in landfills after China stopped recycling most “foreign garbage.”
    By Livia Albeck-Ripka | May 29, 2018

I[​IMG]
    Bales of recyclable waste in Seattle. American waste managers are struggling to find plants to process their recyclables.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/climate/recycling-landfills-plastic-papers.html

19. Gunny

Gunny Silver Belt

That’s fascinating but would it work for the low quality recyclables that are currently being exported? I’d also have a number of safety/toxicity questions about the structure before I was ready to live in one.

20. Gunny

Gunny Silver Belt

I don’t know about Halal but it is absolutely not a kosher requirement.