Red Rising book series is GOAT. Movie in works, 4th book due in January

Read the trilogy, I can't give it a higher recommendation. It's a little young-adulty, but the action in it is awesome. Glad to hear there's a 4th book in the works, although I thought the original ending was a nice place.

I don't re-read books usually, but I'll probably make an exception once they have a movie or series in the works.
I'd rather see it as an HBO or Netflix series rather than a movie.

Just started 3rd book.

Very good series, hope they can adapt it well to film.

Ragnar FTW

Just started 3rd book.

Very good series, hope they can adapt it well to film.

Ragnar FTW

2nd was my favorite in the series, but the 3rd one is right behind it and wraps up the series nicely. I love the first one, but it's probably my least favorite in the series. The 2nd one really opens the scope and changes it to a great sci-fi story.

The cliff hanger ending in Golden Sun had me running to the store to pick up the last book.

I knew Roque was going to betray him, but I was crushed when it went down. They have epic showdown in Morning Star.

C1-dVOEUcyS._SL250_FMpng_.png

“I live for the dream that my children will be born free,” she says. “That they will be what they like. That they will own the land their father gave them.”

“I live for you,” I say sadly.

Eo kisses my cheek. “Then you must live for more.”

Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations. Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.

But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and lush wilds spread across the planet. Darrow—and Reds like him—are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.

Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity’s overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society’s ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies . . . even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i don't know how to be more clear about this, but this is the best series i have ever read, and it isn't even close. I don't read a book series twice, but i read this one three times, and have listened to it on audiobook four more times.

In the first quarter of the first book, this story hooks you when Darrow is forced to pull the feet of his father and wife, to help hang them because the gravity on Mars isn't strong enough to do the job, and then the real story starts. You will be introduced to genetically engineered color castes. Golds rule, and for good reason, their intellect and physical prowess is impressive. 7 feet tall 350lbs of pure tactical genius. They were engineered to rule. Obsidian's were engineered to fight, the blues engineered to work with machines and logic, purples are for art, pinks for pleasure, and reds for labor.

Most people i have gotten to check this series out have done so through audiobook, and everyone of them has said it is the best book series they have ever experienced.

If you have read this or listened to it, how excited are you for the 4th book Iron Gold, due out in January. I'm honestly worried as well as excited. The 3rd book was wrapped up so well that i worry if a continued series can live up to the first 3 books. I guess i will find out soon.

When this book is released as a movie, in works no date for it, this series will blow up. This will get the Game of Thrones treatment at some point, because it is a better story, i say this loving GoT.

discuss.......

About to finish 'the stand' , thinking of starting this next..

Not sure if this is dark and gritty enough for my purposes, will check out the first book.

Thanks TS.

As long as it's not too all over the place this sounds like my cup of tea.

Liked the series, but the bookends (first and fourth books) were a little bit worse than the middle books.

The first one seemed a bit overboard with the teenaged wish fulfillment (nerd becomes the coolest dude eva) and the last book seemed rushed. The entire society just becomes the one bad dude threatening everybody at the end, which definitely brings in the horizons a bit.

Overall, I would recommend the series, even if it had the potential for being so much more.

finished the first book, it's great imo,moving to the second one,
Again, thanks @VivaRevolution for the recommendation,

pax au telmanus!
pax au telmanus!
pax au telmanus!

Liked the series, but the bookends (first and fourth books) were a little bit worse than the middle books.

The first one seemed a bit overboard with the teenaged wish fulfillment (nerd becomes the coolest dude eva) and the last book seemed rushed. The entire society just becomes the one bad dude threatening everybody at the end, which definitely brings in the horizons a bit.

Overall, I would recommend the series, even if it had the potential for being so much more.
You read the 4th? I thought it released in January.

Aye, Iron Gold is not out yet as far as i know, already read the trilogy twice, really like it.

omnis vir lupus

finished the first book, it's great imo,moving to the second one,
Again, thanks @VivaRevolution for the recommendation,

pax au telmanus!
pax au telmanus!
pax au telmanus!

Golden Son, the 2nd book was my favorite in the series. I was leery at the very beginning when it starts with Darrow in the Academy and I thought it would follow the same path as Red Rising, but take place during the Academy instead of the Institute from book 1. I was really happy when it switched gears right away and went in a different direction.

There is some necessary world building as they expand on the society. Once the chain of events goes down at the Gala, I couldn't put the book down.

Only a few more months until Iron Gold!

Last edited:
Golden Son, the 2nd book was my favorite in the series. I was leery at the very beginning when it starts with Darrow in the Academy and I thought it would follow the same path as Red Rising, but take place during the Academy instead of the Institute from book 1. I was really happy when it switched gears right away and went in a different direction.

There is some necessary world building as they expand on the society. Once the chain of events goes down at the Gala, I couldn't put the book down.

Only a few more months until Iron Gold!

Just finished the trilogy @VivaRevolution

Damn, amazing series.Book 3 was great.
Only thing is seeing how,

everything seems to be nicely tied up, i wonder what book 4 will be about.

If you have an e-book, it has part of a chapter from book 4. It is Cassius, and Lysander off by themselves.

I think book 4 will have something to do with the moons of the gas giants in the rim.

January 18th. Can't wait. Been looking forward to it for over a year, since I heard it was coming out, and I will probably burn through it in 36 hours, and have to wait 2 more years for book 5.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I am buying 5 sets, of the hardcover trilogy, and giving them out as Christmas presents.

If you have an e-book, it has part of a chapter from book 4. It is Cassius, and Lysander off by themselves.

I think book 4 will have something to do with the moons of the gas giants in the rim.

January 18th. Can't wait. Been looking forward to it for over a year, since I heard it was coming out, and I will probably burn through it in 36 hours, and have to wait 2 more years for book 5.

I think remainder of the society that goes to Venus will at a big part as well. Tactus had an older brother that fled the final battle so I'm looking forward to him being a force in the next book.

Lysander is a wild card. he's either going to be a great hero or I see him flipping to the Dark side and killing Cassius.

I think remainder of the society that goes to Venus will at a big part as well. Tactus had an older brother that fled the final battle so I'm looking forward to him being a force in the next book.

Lysander is a wild card. he's either going to be a great hero or I see him flipping to the Dark side and killing Cassius.
I see Lysander being a big problem, i think he was kept alive to play a major role in the next trilogy. I bet on him being a villain.

The characters in the trilogy are very memorable. I marathoned the entire 9 books of the Dark tower series earlier this year and i can say that this was much better. My favorite characters are Pax and Ragnar (^o^)

Is this aimed at adults or teenagers?

I'm looking for some no holds barred sci-fi / fantasy (Richard K Morgan and GRRM style)
Have you tried?/You might like:

Mark Lawrence
Joe Abercrombie
Angus Watson

Back