Reinforcing striking points

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whether it's Karate, Muay Thai, or something else, lots of styles condition not just the muscles and cardiovascular system but the bones and skin as well. What insight do you folks have into this topic? I got made fun of for punching rice, but how can I legitimately make my striking points more durable and resilient? I'm specifically interested in knuckle conditioning, but I'm still interested in all aspects of this practice because I'm sure many principles overlap.

Lots of reps on the heavybag with bare shins for your kicks. Lots of teeps, lots of heavy mid kicks and lowkicks to the densest part of the bag.

As far as your knuckles... I don't know. I guess you can wrap your hands and punch using bag mitts. I would be careful punching anything without wraps or hand protection

If you try to condition your hands to be clubs- they might turn into clubs. Clubs that hurt when you open pickle jars, or hold pencils, or ache when its about to rain.

Be very careful with your body.

Just carry brass knuckles or sap gloves instead

more time on the bag. work on your hand positioning how do you make a fist? how is your wrist? knuckle push ups and repeated contact.

I am unsure whether the bones/skin get conditioned or that we don't abuse them so much with cleaner technique???

I am unsure whether the bones/skin get conditioned or that we don't abuse them so much with cleaner technique???
i think its a little bit of both your hands get tougher and with proper hand positioning and technique you get better penetration with the knuckles and delivery of force making your punches more damaging and keeping your hands safer.

Just carry brass knuckles or sap gloves instead
Already done.
59354_019_01.jpg

Yeah tbh I don't know about having big callus' on my knuckles that can get ripped off, but I do want to make my knuckle bones harder to break.

Lots of reps on the heavybag with bare shins for your kicks. Lots of teeps, lots of heavy mid kicks and lowkicks to the densest part of the bag.

As far as your knuckles... I don't know. I guess you can wrap your hands and punch using bag mitts. I would be careful punching anything without wraps or hand protection

If you try to condition your hands to be clubs- they might turn into clubs. Clubs that hurt when you open pickle jars, or hold pencils, or ache when its about to rain.

Be very careful with your body.
This actually a good point.
i heard from a kung fu teacher that iron bone and shirt training is kind of pointless in his view. Mainly because he said he has seen lots of practitioners who did the whole breaking and rebreaking bones, and extreme forms of conditioning to make your hands into bricks etc..
he said it didn't really matter most of those masters rarely fought and even if they did they might not even know how to land their punches, even worse they had debilitating effects later in life.That is why he respected boxers and their training methods more. One of his successors is my training partner because said kung fu coach told him that cross training in boxing would make him a much better martial artist.

the karate dudes should have some good input on this. I believe the concept is the same as conditioning for the shins.

Back