Remember That Legend About Someone Killing Themselves On The Set Of The Wizard of Oz?

After watching the 2nd video it sure looks real to me damn it!
Well there was movement so maybe he literally hung himself minute or two before they walk down the yellow brick road? Why do people say hung around set all day and no one noticed. Might of literally just happened for the final scene.
OK so he hung himself as they shot the scene and no one noticed someone fall from a tree, hanging from a rope noisily struggling to breathe 10 feet away from them?
That shit doesn't happen silently bro

Oh shit. Looks real to me, that bird is added in. That's dark.

there is a clear difference in the videos. one resembles a man swinging, presumably hanging from his neck and the other a bird walking around and unfolding its wings.

they must be two different videos or teo different takes because there is no way they had the technology back then to superimpose one or the other.

<LikeReally5>

I'm sure we've all heard that one, right? That one of the munchkins in The Wizard Of Oz actually hung themselves and it was caught on tape? The explanation has always been that it was a crane bird spreading its wings, and if you watch the colorized version, that seems the logical explanation.

However, many are claiming that footage of the old VHS version tells a different story and that the bird may have been edited in in later versions. And if you compare the two, they seem to be right:

Newer Version:

Original VHS Version:

What do you think? There's clearly no bird visible in the original print and that definitely looks like a person (a fully grown one at that, most certainly not a munchkin) that's swinging back and forth from a noose. Even if we assume it isn't a live one, it still has the figure of one and MGM must have edited it over with a bird for some reason, right? It's an interesting find nonetheless.

No tape in 1939.

This story has been gospel for everyone 25 years old And older. Maybe the scene was just where they yelled "action" and the midget hung humself
I'm 43 and have never once heard of this ridiculous "legend". I'd be willing to bet no one else did either until the internet became a thing.

Bloody hell.

Okay after looking into this more, I trust my bro, Scaretheatre with this one.

Last edited:
Why do you think the Lion was so cowardly or afraid? He was threatened that he would be next if he blabbed about the dead munchkin.

I'm 43 and have never once heard of this ridiculous "legend". I'd be willing to bet no one else did either until the internet became a thing.
I heard of it from that horror "urban legend" film if remember right.

Did you guys know that Phil wrote the song "In the Air Tonight", about a cardboard cutout of Ted Danson, and then spotted it at a concert? No word on if the crane was in attendance.

Real or not, the story still creeps me out. There's something unsettling about a munchkin's suicide inadvertently caught on camera in an otherwise cheerful and corny movie from the 30's.

I'm sure little people were treated like absolute shit back in those days too.

Did you guys know that Phil wrote the song "In the Air Tonight", about a cardboard cutout of Ted Danson, and then spotted it at a concert? No word on if the crane was in attendance.
Beat me to bringing up the Three Men And A Baby conspiracy.

Something is definitely altered. Even if it really wasn't a hanging munchkin they would have modified in the remastered version just because of how it looks.

Real or not, the story still creeps me out. There's something unsettling about a munchkin's suicide inadvertently caught on camera in an otherwise cheerful and corny movie from the 30's.

I'm sure little people were treated like absolute shit back in those days too.
Well theyre foul little creatures who were brought to this life through cursed parents from a vengeful God, they dont deserve to be treated good imo

No.
Nobody killed themselves on the set. It's a silly rumor based on nothing.
The cinematic version of Bigfoot.

Bloody hell.

Okay after looking into this more, I trust my bro, Scaretheatre with this one.

I saw this after my post earlier. It looked so real. Well I guess this myths exposed

Maybe so

I remember this in 1997 which I wasn't in 7th grade. Along with the boner in the little mermaid, the boner in Alladin, the "take off your clothes" in alladin, and the "sex" in the lion king. Internet was kinda a thing even back 1997 and before in 1995ish. But nobody really used it that much.

Back