Remember When Woodley Used to be a Player?

He once said that in order to be a legend, he has to beat a legend. And that’s why he wants to fight Nate Diaz.

True Story.

Oh look. A Conor stan complaining about another fighter being inactive, and a guy who had four title fights in a calendar year no less.

This is like a Conor fan complaining about another fighter being too arrogant and disrespectful.

Dont think he complained about that lol he pretty obviously asked who's the #1 contender. Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing.

woodley was a player only in 2014 but he got schooled by rory and is now asking for money fight because he got gifted a title shot for hendricks not making weight, won the best match up possible for him and robbed thompson in the rematch.

Lol at best matchup possible. He schools the one-dimensional grapplers like Maia, Colby and Usman. Wonderboy didn't do enough and got rocked repeatedly, the loss is his fault. Got to beat the champ to be the champ.

RDA should be #1 contender, but Woodley has the infuriating habit of talking down all his opponents. "They haven't done enough." "I'm not impressed." "He's not a big enough name."

Motherfucker, you keep wanting big money fights, but you are going out of your way to downplay every potential opponent. You've got to talk UP your potential opponents. Make us think your belt is under threat from a goddamn savage, so when you beat them it's impressive. But no. Woodley will just bitch and moan until he's forced to fight a guy he's been downplaying for months, at which point, no one really cares.

Genius.

Exactly. GSP used to play that game perfectly. He always talked up his opponent as super dangerous, biggest challenge to date kind of thing. Whether it was true of the opponent or not, it always worked - his fights had huge hype to see if the new contender could knock off the champ, and a lot of it was based on Georges ability to hype up his challenger. He was a top 5 PPV draw consistently for 7-8 years, even though a lot of folks didn't like his style later on in his career.

Woodley has no idea how to market himself, bitching about not getting 'Money Fights'. The Conor McGregor gimmick will never work with Woodley as he does not have the personality. When you don't have the mic skills and the natural drawing power, you have to fight often and keep winning. Fans always want a dominant champ. Woodley can do that but he's playing the wrong angle.

Dont think he complained about that lol he pretty obviously asked who's the #1 contender. Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing.

What's the title of this thread? It's an implicit dig at Woodley.

RDA should be #1 contender, but Woodley has the infuriating habit of talking down all his opponents. "They haven't done enough." "I'm not impressed." "He's not a big enough name."

Motherfucker, you keep wanting big money fights, but you are going out of your way to downplay every potential opponent. You've got to talk UP your potential opponents. Make us think your belt is under threat from a goddamn savage, so when you beat them it's impressive. But no. Woodley will just bitch and moan until he's forced to fight a guy he's been downplaying for months, at which point, no one really cares.

Genius.

<{clintugh}>
Great post.

I remember when he bitched out against Conor and gave him his belt at UFC 205.

He might as well have just got down on his knees for him

woodley was a player only in 2014 but he got schooled by rory and is now asking for money fight because he got gifted a title shot for hendricks not making weight, won the best match up possible for him and robbed thompson in the rematch.
That's one way to describe winning the title by 1st round ko and then defending it 3 times...

Genius.

<{clintugh}>

So he's supposed to be his own promoter? He's supposed to not try to get money fights during this window of time he's earned and defended?

The only people who hear him downplay his opponents are us, reddit, underground, etc. The casuals likely never hear it. So it likely wouldn't affect views. You have a logical point but I'm not sure it applies to anyone but hardcore fans, who will watch anyways

What the hell happened to the UFC WW Division?

Who's the #1 contender?
I'd like to say that the belt changed Woodley but he's always been demanding of things he doesn't deserve. He lost to Shields got a two fight win streak and demanded the belt. Lost to Rory badly won a close decision against Gastelum and demanded a title shot again. Lucky for him he stepped in on short notice and got the belt. Denied Wonderboy his shot when he was the clear front runner. Finally fights him to a draw and says he doesn't deserve a rematch because he clearly won because you have to beat the champion to be the champion. Now since he won by a majority decision Wonderboy won't be getting a title shot no matter the amount of wins he gets as long as Woodley is champion. Luckily we have the interim fight so he at least is forced to fight someone.

I think Woodley is a great fighter but the way he carries himself is really annoying and to top it all off he thinks people criticize him for all this because he's black.

Don't worry TS, Colby is going to game over that player after he sends RDA back to LW.

Genius.

<{clintugh}>

This 100%. GSP made a lot of fans because he would ALWAYS talk up his opponents. No matter who he faced, he would always point out their strengths, and say "this is the most dangerous opponent I've faced" or "this is the biggest fight of my career".

That way when GSP beat people, everyone was impressed, regardless of how far ahead of the competition GSP really was. And in doing so, GSP didn't turn down fights. He just accepted fight after fight, until he became the money fight.

I don't remember Overeem getting all bent out of shape when they were promoting Browne vs Werdum at UFC 203 by showing Browne KOing Overeem, despite Overeem being the headliner of UFC 203.
Or Stipe Miocic when they showed his knockout loss to Struve in the lead up for Struve vs. Volkov:

Back