Remembering when Maia outgrappled Gunnar Lúðvík Nelson

Danis_champ

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What a fight! One of my all time favorites

Enjoy the scrambles

Boring ass fight dude lol

There’s a reason why everyone forgot about it.

Nelson's BJJ was highly rated going into this fight, and still is. But Maia just showed that he is at an entirely different level in grappling. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to help him capture a title.

16-164271_bag-clipart-dora-backpack-dora-the-explorer.png

“Remember when I outgrappled Maia”

2912ltw.jpg

I prefer Maia at 185 vs MacDonald.
He was the first guy to go to the ground with Maia and they had a intense battle.
Maia won the fight. IIRC Rogan went bat shit that MacDonald want to the ground with Maia.

Nelson's BJJ was highly rated going into this fight, and still is. But Maia just showed that he is at an entirely different level in grappling. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to help him capture a title.
Yeah I think Gunnar's fans consensus was that Gunnar would keep the fight standing and use his karate movement to out strike Maia. Maia can get anyone on the ground except big black explosive wrestlers.

Maia is likely 15lbs heavier than Gunnar. The fight had some great BJJ and Gunnar even swept Maia at one point.

Maia is likely 15lbs heavier than Gunnar. The fight had some great BJJ and Gunnar even swept Maia at one point.
Yup forgot that one. Fun fact indeed. Gunnar does not cut weight at all if I'm not mistaken. Dude would be an animal at LW

I prefer Maia at 185 vs MacDonald.
He was the first guy to go to the ground with Maia and they had a intense battle.
Maia won the fight. IIRC Rogan went bat shit that MacDonald want to the ground with Maia.
Rory won and it wasn't controversial.

I've heard that Maia is unbelievably strong.
His last 4 fights made me forget how relentless this guy used to be and how next level his back control was. The guy didn't even use his arms to hold on and Gunnar Nelson still couldn't shake him off.

Back