RENATO CANUTO vs EDDIE CUMMINGS 2018 KASAI Pro 2

Bigboot

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
If this is where we are heading I don't think I want to be a part of this anymore. how do you tell people what you do and then show them this?

Canuto ran from Cummings until he received a penalty. This match highlights the importance of stalling calls and their under utilization in BJJ and submission grappling. This is particularly bad in submission only. This can be somewhat mitigated by adopting wrestling's stalling calls or using judges decisions.

If submission grappling had simar stalling calls to wrestling Camuto would have been DQed within the first minute of the match as he only moved backwards and disengaged from the action the vast majority of the duration of the match.

Some people criticize Eddie but the reality is submission grappling and BJJ do not penalize guard pulling, and the top person is expected to engage the guard of the bottom person or they are considered stalling. This may not reflect combative effectiveness but that's a shortcomings of the rules, not the athlete. Canuto agreed to these rules, which puts the oweness on him IMO.

Sitting down and wiping your ass all over the mat? I don’t consider that pulling guard.

Sitting down and wiping your ass all over the mat? I don’t consider that pulling guard.
I absolutely hate butt scooting, and don’t even like pulling guard. I consider Eddie’s guard-scooting to be his single biggest flaw as a competitor - he’s my favorite guy to watch compete but I’m not going to defend scooting.

I entirely blame Canuto. The rules for the match were known. Canuto agreed to them. He ran the entire time. That was rightly penalized. Cummings was chasing him the entire time. I don’t think that scooting should be allowed but that all goes out the window the minute a match starts. Then it’s just about trying to win.

Canuto didn’t live up to the match he agreed to. That’s on him.

Cantudo won via DEFNESIVE DOMMINENCE.

MORALMENTE VICTORIA de REANTO CANTUDO.

giphy.gif

Back