retailers worry over food stamp cut

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
Maybe having a starving kid might motivate mom and dad to not be poor.

<Y2JSmirk>

"Hey mom, dad; can you not buy cigarettes or alcohol or weed for one week so hat we can buy nutritious food?"

Sadly the answer to this question is usually, "No".

I agree. But people don't spend a lot of time on "how it is run", they spend the time on why people shouldn't have it and how to minimize it's use, regardless of need.

I always have an issue with stricter work requirements because the people imposing the stricter requirements don't have the ability to guarantee access to work. They don't control the market place. And the areas most likely to need those programs - rural areas and inner cities are already impoverished because employers don't want to go there. So it's a tone deaf approach.

Gov: "You need a job to qualify for benefits."
Person: "Great, I want a job. Where can I get one?"
Gov: "Just look for one."
Person: "I am but I only have a high school education."
Gov: "Well, you shouldn't have had kids then."
Person: "Uhm...how does that help me get a job?"
Gov: "It doesn't but that's your fault."
Person: "Ok, sure. But I still need a job and my government provided education is inadequate for any work that gets me off welfare."
Gov: "Move."
Person: "Ok, sure. But the type of work that I qualify for isn't going to pay for moving expenses."

I could go on but my point is that the issues of low income in this country that lead to low income and use of social service programs are intrinsic to how our economy has evolved. And how the programs are run doesn't work if those elements aren't acknowledged in an honest manner.

It's like when they tell some single mom to go get a job. Well, to go to an interview, she needs someone to watch her kid, transportation fare, etc. That costs money. She needs a job to get the money. So, it's a Catch-22 for her. There are too many issues like that running around.
Correct.

What it comes down to is that the Right just doesn’t want poor people to exist. Period.

Basically, they want the economy to be a cut throat competition... BUT one where there are no losers... or, more accurately, where the inevitable losers just fucking disappear so the winners don’t have to think about them (or about which parts of the playing field may have been uneven).

This, of course, is Christian.

Last edited:
"Hey mom, dad; can you not buy cigarettes or alcohol or weed for one week so hat we can buy nutritious food?"

Is that what you tell yourself so you don't have to justify what is really an indefensible view?

I get why people don't want benefits going to irresponsible adults but it's mind blowing that so many people are ok with their kids getting zero aid.

i see that it might hurt Amazon as well. Well, i would really hate to see them lose some of their profit

Is that what you tell yourself so you don't have to justify what is really an indefensible view?

I get why people don't want benefits going to irresponsible adults but it's mind blowing that so many people are ok with their kids getting zero aid.

It's what my mother and I experienced when we volunteered to help low income families in the Toronto area and tried to meal plan and went shopping for food (which we paid for sometimes). It was very depressing.

It's what my mother and I experienced when we volunteered to help low income families in the Toronto area and tried to meal plan and went shopping for food (which we paid for sometimes). It was very depressing.
Hopefully people are smart enough to realize that their personal experience may not be reflective of the whole. Also, this doesn't address my point.

If these kids have degenerate parents that is more of a reason to get them aid, no? The kids are not responsible for their parents and as a society we would want them to have the best chance to get out of that shit and be productive. Sounds like some of you guys are saying "fuck em". It's both heartless and bad policy.

That doesn't sound like my problem.

Hopefully people are smart enough to realize that their personal experience may not be reflective of the whole. Also, this doesn't address my point.

If these kids have degenerate parents that is more of a reason to get them aid, no? The kids are not responsible for their parents and as a society we would want them to have the best chance to get out of that shit and be productive. Sounds like some of you guys are saying "fuck em". It's both heartless and bad policy.

I think if you read my OP you would understand where the blame lies --- it's not on the kids. Some of these degenerate parents use their kids as a crutch for their own indefensible (to use your term) behavior. I don't know what you do about it.

Are there people who are in need? Absolutely.

Are there real shit stains who are terrible parents --- absolutely.

I'll ask you something; have you ever been poor? Ever lived in a poor area among poor people? If you have then you know how hard it is to break the cycle of poverty, while at the same time you would understand what it means when I say, "poor people life decisions".

Meh, it's a pretty understandable view. People are waiting until 30 or 40 to have children so they can provide a decent future for them. They're not interested in subsidizing some 25-years old family of five children from nameless fathers. You're basically subsidizing the reproduction of the most stupid and useless members of society. We should be giving them money for sterilization if anything.

I think if you read my OP you would understand where the blame lies --- it's not on the kids. Some of these degenerate parents use their kids as a crutch for their own indefensible (to use your term) behavior. I don't know what you do about it.

Are there people who are in need? Absolutely.

Are there real shit stains who are terrible parents --- absolutely.

I'll ask you something; have you ever been poor? Ever lived in a poor area among poor people? If you have then you know how hard it is to break the cycle of poverty, while at the same time you would understand what means when I say, "poor people life decisions".
Depends how you define poor, but my parents were factory workers before my father was disabled and couldn't work at all and I went to a pretty shitty school system (which bordered a fairly high crime neighborhood). We had enough food to eat and my parents were pretty good people, but we didn't have shit outside of necessities. I worked my way through college (along with taking out loans) and I'm doing incredible now.

It's not the same as food stamps, but I can say with absolute certainty we would have been absolutely fucked without disability benefits.

To address the main point, the thing to not do is take benefits away that help feed kids. If you want them to break out and be productive making sure they don't get enough food is the sure to fail. It's not a magic bullet and I don't have the answers either, but kids need to fucking eat man.

Last edited:
Meh, it's a pretty understandable view. People are waiting until 30 or 40 to have children so they can provide a decent future for them. They're not interested in subsidizing some 25-years old family of five children from nameless fathers. You're basically subsidizing the reproduction of the most stupid and useless members of society. We should be giving them money for sterilization if anything.
Again, you missed the point. The food stamps are going to feed their kids too, so how do you justify making the kids go hungry?

Hmm... I seem to recall 30% of food stamp money goes to junk food. So 20% actually seems quite low.

Again, you missed the point. The food stamps are going to feed their kids too, so how do you justify making the kids go hungry?

I'm not for or against food stamps. I think it'd be better if the minimum wage was raised. In Canada it's around $11 depending on the province, and rising rapidly.

Painting all people in poverty in this light is disingenuous as fuck.

I'm not for or against food stamps. I think it'd be better if the minimum wage was raised. In Canada it's around $11 depending on the province, and rising rapidly.
Ok.

Painting all people in poverty in this light is disingenuous as fuck.

I was follow up commenting on a specific post. Where do you see that I painted all recipients of aid in the same light? Point that out.

And just to be clear, if you're spending your money on bad habits at the expense of your kids absolutely no fucks are given by me. I lived in gov't housing as a kid and the idiocracy there was hard to put in words. Food banks are a great idea, quality meals for kids at community centers/schools are great as well, and I'd happily pay an optional tax item to support that.

$14 in Ontario.

I was follow up commenting on a specific post. Where do you see that I painted all recipients of aid in the same light? Point that out.

And just to be clear, if you're spending your money on bad habits at the expense of your kids absolutely no fucks are given by me. I lived in gov't housing as a kid and the idiocracy there was hard to put in words. Food banks are a great idea, quality meals for kids at community centers/schools are great as well, and I'd happily pay an optional tax item to support that.
Yes. A post about families with starving kids. If you didn't mean it to include all poor people, maybe you should clarify what you meant.

The post you quoted didn't say, "The drug addicted parents of starving kids."

It just referenced parents with starving kids, to which you replied:

So, to you, all parents with starving kids are spending their money on cigarettes, drugs, and booze. If I'm wrong here, you need to clarify your position.

Back