retailers worry over food stamp cut

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
"Some food retailers were alarmed by a separate proposal by the Trump administration, which in February suggested shaving about $129 billion in SNAP spending over a decade by shifting food-stamp dollars from benefit cards to a food-box-delivery program that would be state-run."

I don't see how this would be a cheaper option.
It would ensure that they are using the food money for legitimate food. No more selling your card no more buying Doritos and Funyuns. Even if it wasn't cheaper it would be better.

I get your point, but steak isn't all bad or unreasonable.

I can understand having a problem with people blowing their SNAP on $39/lb filet, but there are lots of reansonably priced steak options that eat good with a little finesse in the kitchen.

I hear ya. To be honest tho, in against snap altogether. I think people should be fed, not given vouchers

I hear this stuff from leftists all the time, but it's hard to believe people seriously think this. Do you think there is no welfare or care for the poor in right wing states? Do you think the growing shanty towns of homeless people living in left wing metropolises like Seattle represent better care for the poor? I think the Left does care for the poor, but their polices do seem to have massive blind spots in terms of creating perverse incentives. I also think the Right cares for the poor, and they come off as uncaring, but it's really a sensible demand that people be responsible for themselves and their families whenever feasible.

Truth is, it's hard to help people. Anyone who has ever tried to help someone knows this. I've spent more than a decade working closely with the homeless. It's a balancing act of challenging them to achieve on their own and be independent and helping alongside whenever needed. I've seen a lot of government programs help people, and I appreciate that. I've also seen a lot of right wing people committing lot of time and money in the effort to help people. I appreciate that too.
Homelessness is mostly an urban phenomenon because that’s where public resources are located. Large cities vote Democratic. Homelessness is a problem that liberals HAVE to deal with because liberals TRY to deal with it.

I mean, if you are a homeless person, where are you crashing— a Republican suburb where the locals will call the cops on you and the cops will arrest you (and possibly kick you teeth in), or a city that has emergency shelters, libraries, parks, panhandling traffic, food handouts, public buildings and businesses to loiter in, etc?

Don’t expect me to feel bad about the left’s shortcomings until the right TRIES.

This reminds me of the gun debate where the right says the problem is mental health, not guns, so the left says, “Great, so we can expect your enthusiastic support for increased public mental health services, correct?”... *Crickets*

Last edited:
The entire population of Scandinavia isn’t even half of a California

These comparisons will never work.

What comparison will never work? What I said is that the Scandinavian countries have figured out that you have to mitigate the natural process of capitalism forcing some people into economic poverty because not every person and not every company can be successful.

I didn't mention any specific policies only a general concept so I'm not not sure what comparison you're referring to? Capitalism should be operating the same whether it's Scandinavia or the U.S.

What comparison will never work? What I said is that the Scandinavian countries have figured out that you have to mitigate the natural process of capitalism forcing some people into economic poverty because not every person and not every company can be successful.

I didn't mention any specific policies only a general concept so I'm not not sure what comparison you're referring to? Capitalism should be operating the same whether it's Scandinavia or the U.S.
This is just the meme the right spam whenever anyone mentions the government programs that have produced excellent social outcomes around the world: we’re to big; it won’t work.

Funny, no one applies this logic to military spending.

This is just the meme the right spam whenever anyone mentions the government programs that have produced excellent social outcomes around the world: we’re to big; it won’t work.

Funny, no one applies this logic to military spending.

1. US is too big

2. US has brown people fvking things up

Usually one of those two.

don't give a fuck about these people.. get a job.. or two.. GO to the job.. and try to stay employed by them for more than 3 weeks

Back