REVIEW: Nutty Buddy-Protectin the Boys!

Yeah I stopped wearing mine during rolling the sides of the cup just kill me when working half guard. I am looking now for one with more flexible sides maybe the shock doctor would do but i am not sure. Maybe the titan with the gel edge maybe better??? Any one use one?

the only thing that's preventing me from getting one right now is the complaints i'm hearing from the guys that say it digs in too hard on edges when rolling.

i roll with a lot of much larger, stronger guys that are basically all ex high school wrestlers so i'm in the guard quite a bit. i absolutely need a cup that's comfortable when getting crushed into me lol.

i might get one anyway for muay thai though and just use my old one for bjj and mma sparring.

for the guys that have this and a steel cup, which would you rather use in a muay thai fight?

Can't tell you how much of an investment the steel cup I got was, I bought the title mma cup, it's sound, secure, and it doesn't bother me in stand up or when rolling. So yeah, tossing my hat in for the steel cup.

I just got my nutty buddy about a week ago and its much more comforable than your standard cup I would recomend it to all

I just got my nutty buddy about a week ago and its much more comforable than your standard cup I would recomend it to all

Have you worn it while someone is trying to pass your half-guard? This is when the pain of the NuttyBuddy just kills me.

JD

OK, I ordered this thing and their sizing info is bizarre. I ordered the Hog and it was trying to cut my tip off so I returned it for the Mongo.

I wore it for the first time last night while rolling and I absolutely hated it. I was rolling with Mike Lee the 2x Arnold No-gi champ and had him in a quarter guard while he was real tight working for the kimura. This thing bruised the hell out of me. I'm still hurting today. What a piece of crap.

I also wore it to work with my MT coach and I ended up not wearing it for long cuz it dug into my groin with every movement. This might be ok for baseball or something but it sucks for any kind of MMA or BJJ.

I'm going back to my SD bioflex. However, I do think I might wear it the same way they recommended for the Nutty Buddy... Anybody else tried this?

-J

Yeah I had the same problem. I thought I was the only one who hated the nutty butty seeing how everyone around here seems to swear by them. $40 bucks down the crapper.

I switched to the nutty buddy recently and can recommend it for stand-up (I train MT exclusively). I don't roll anymore so I don't know how it performs there BUT I could see it being uncomfortable while rolling for reasons stated above.

I switched from just a regular old Bike cup which was AWFUL.. even grazing shots sent a jolt up the gut, direct blows crumpled me on more than one occasion.

With the nutty buddy I hardly notice indirect shots. I've taken a few solid knees and it performs amazingly well. True, after hard shots you feel where the poorly padded rim digs but I do think the design dissipates that impact and I'd much prefer that to battering the boys.

I've been thinking about it (probably way too much) and I think what makes the design so effective is the the outward bulges on the sides and top give your junk somewhere to go when an impact drives the cup inward at any given point. With a standard cup the rim digs into your body and the boys have nowhere to go but outward into the walls of the cup. Thus they let you know they aren't happy about that particular situation. I sort of expected the steel cup design would have the same issues (especially with some of the comments above about "thai" sizing) which is why I opted for the nutty buddy.

On another note the sizing methods (where they even exist) for ALL cups is CLEARLY in need of some revision. I was thinking that someone should adopt a water displacement sizing technique for their product: like get a quart-sized pyrex measuring cup filled to the brim with water, do a pushup so your equipment is submerged and then measure how much water ran out over the sides (or is left, whatever) and correlate that to a size chart.

Too much?

Ha. I'm done now.

I was thinking that someone should adopt a water displacement sizing technique for their product: like get a quart-sized pyrex measuring cup filled to the brim with water, do a pushup so your equipment is submerged and then measure how much water ran out over the sides (or is left, whatever) and correlate that to a size chart.

Too much?

Ha. I'm done now.

I thought about this too, however, sometimes the twig is bigger than the berries and vise versa. This would require a depth and width measurement along with displacement. It would end up being way to many choices in the line of cups. We would be right back to small, medium, lerge, etc.

I am waiting for the line of cups for the prince albert wearing practitioner. Then i will be a happy man. :icon_lol:

JD

I thought about this too, however, sometimes the twig is bigger than the berries and vise versa. This would require a depth and width measurement along with displacement. It would end up being way to many choices in the line of cups. We would be right back to small, medium, lerge, etc.

I am waiting for the line of cups for the prince albert wearing practitioner. Then i will be a happy man. :icon_lol:

JD

That's true. But once everything is gathered beneath compression shorts or in the cup (or both in the case of the nutty buddy) into a single scoop of twig and berries ice cream.. isn't it just a matter of small medium or large scoop?

I'm suddenly wondering what kind of crazy brainstorming discussions took place during the development of the Nutty Biddy and the subsequent marketing of it.

Either way maybe they will come out with an 'Alberty Buddy' for you. :icon_chee

I have just switched from the nutty buddy to a shock doctor flex cup with x-fit jock and can safely say I much prefer the sd to the nutty buddy. I stopped rolling in the nutty buddy as the pain caused by any pressure put on the cup on the side around my groin was worse than actually getting hit in the nuts. With the sd rubber edge I can wear it for striking and rolling and I don't even notice it but it keeps all the important stuff protected

I have just switched from the nutty buddy to a shock doctor flex cup with x-fit jock and can safely say I much prefer the sd to the nutty buddy. I stopped rolling in the nutty buddy as the pain caused by any pressure put on the cup on the side around my groin was worse than actually getting hit in the nuts. With the sd rubber edge I can wear it for striking and rolling and I don't even notice it but it keeps all the important stuff protected

Do you put this over your compression shorts? I was thinking of switching to something like this but i like the idea of wearing the cup over the shorts. just not sure how it would work with the SD.

JD

JudasD - Yes I wear the jock over my compression shorts and then pop the cup into the jock. This has worked very well for me so far. Rolled with it on again last night and was doing a lot of half guard stuff with a few bigger guys who were putting a lot of weight down onto my groin and I felt not pain at all :)

JudasD - Yes I wear the jock over my compression shorts and then pop the cup into the jock. This has worked very well for me so far. Rolled with it on again last night and was doing a lot of half guard stuff with a few bigger guys who were putting a lot of weight down onto my groin and I felt not pain at all :)

Ok, that's it. I'm switching. I already have the SD bio-flex cup from a previous cup attempt. Now i just need to find the SD pouch jock to put it in. I have the pouchless Bike jock from the nutty buddy. Maybe i'll just look for a pouch Bike jock. Probably the same as SD's.

JD

Ok, that's it. I'm switching. I already have the SD bio-flex cup from a previous cup attempt. Now i just need to find the SD pouch jock to put it in. I have the pouchless Bike jock from the nutty buddy. Maybe i'll just look for a pouch Bike jock. Probably the same as SD's.

JD

Have you used the nutty buddy?

I can't comment on the bike jock compared to the sd one. Its a real pain not being able to order the sd jock on its own. You can get the compression shorts on their own (Which I am also going to try) but not the jock :( I suppose its only

Have you used the nutty buddy?

I can't comment on the bike jock compared to the sd one. Its a real pain not being able to order the sd jock on its own. You can get the compression shorts on their own (Which I am also going to try) but not the jock :( I suppose its only

I have a helluva time trying to set up arm locks from the guard. The extra movement the NB allows tends to cause the cup to move around and even slip out of the jock when trying to set up subs. I've actually had the cup fall out on the mat a handful of times.

This could be, however, due to my small junk. :(

I have a SD jock that I put on first and put my cup in that, then I put a pair of compression shorts over the jock. Works perfect.

I just got the system (cup, Bike shorts and jock) the other day. Its less comfortable than my ShockDoctor system (cup in jock with SD shorts over that). The edges are hard and drive into my thighs--not so bad as to be unwearable though. My biggest issue is that it "rotated" several times while I was rolling the other day. Not sure whether it impacts the protection any, but it was uncomfortable and worrysome (especially with how hard the edges are--kinda concerned with what would happen if I slipped out).

Well, I think I'm probably going back to the SD system. The cup slipped out of its pouch yesterday and I had to stop rolling to put it back in. It would really suck if that happened during a tournament when I couldn't stop... I'll probably experiment with a few different setups (maybe putting the shorts over the strap instead), but so far it looks like I just wasted $60. Really disappointed seeing as how many people swear by them.

Back