• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Review: Tatami Fightwear 'Zero G' gi

Meerkatsu

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Continuing my review of British BJJ gi companies, I review Tatami Fightwear's ultra light gi which they call the 'Zero G'.

You can read the detailed full comparison review on my blog here:
MEERKATSU: Great British Gi Review - Black Eagle v Tatami Zero-G v Malvado

But here is a summary of my findings:

This gi costs 57GBP plus shipping - the website states special rates for US customers.

The first you notice when the gi arrives is that it comes in a nylon gi bag:

4329236472_6a7ef1e261.jpg

which is a handy place to stuff your sweaty gi after training I guess.

The gi is patches quite heavily, with bright blue 'Zero G' patches on the shoulders, trousers and the rear skirt:

4328503445_415ec54db6.jpg

One thing that proved an interesting topic of discussion in other forums was the Tatami Fightwear logo (Yin Yang Tao symbol). Some people liked it, lots expressed their dislike. Me personally, I'm not a fan but not enough to stop me wearing the gi.

Some stats (first figure is brand new, second is after two 40 deg washes):

Weight (Kg): 1.56
Arm length (shoulder - cm): 78/77
Arm length (armpit - cm): 54/52
Jacket length (cm): 79.5/78
Sleeve width (cm): 17/16.5
Inside trouser leg (cm): 73/68
Outside trouser leg (cm): 97/94
Knee width (cm): 27/26.5
Ankle width (cm): 23.5/23

At 1.56kg, this gi is very light.
The collar and lapel is about 1cm thick, so not too chunky but not too think..very similar to Vulkan or Koral:

4328503523_c0b04661ca.jpg

The coolest thing about this gi, apart from the light weight) is the trouser ties - these are really thick and chunky rope with knotted ends. They don't come undone when training and don't get lost within the trouser hem:

4328503141_506fef22d4.jpg

But the trousers are very wide, not tapered like other gis. It doesn't bother me but some people might not like this (plus that logo again):

4329237234_d08dd26d23.jpg

When rolling, this gi is very big on me compared to other A2's I have worn. After two washes, it did not shrink that much, so continued to feel quite 'baggy' on me. However, it is so light that I didn't think the bagginess was too problematic. The overall cut and design reminded me very strongly of my Vulkan Pro Light, but not as soft. It also has a really long skirt portion which could be handy if you like using your own gi to do chokes, but a bit of a pain if you don't like the extra material 'flapping' around when you roll.

4351743131_e3813848aa.jpg

This gi is very good quality for the price. Check the website and order according to the recommended sizing chart as this gi does not shrink and it is a big cut anyway.

Links:
Tatami Fightwear

My What gi Should I Buy FAQ

Back