Revisionist History with Jones-Cormier I

I thought it was a clear win for Jones, but not a blowout. If anything I was biased the other way as I am not a jones fan and had money on Cormier.

Outside of the vocal minority of craziness that exists here I think most people saw it as a competitive fight with a definitive Jones win.

The problem with threads like these is starting with a straw man argument that most people thought the fight was a blow out.

Most people didn't...

But I'm sure you can find some threads where some people did because there's always the outliers.

Getting amped for this rematch. At work bored and just watched the full replay of the first fight on YouTube. Had it 48-47 live and on replay. There is no argument Cormier won, but going into the 5th round it was even to me. Is it MMA in general or just the Jones fanboys who think this was some blowout? Or was it because these guys hate each other so much, the one fanbase has to exaggerate the victory?

Makes me wonder how many people actually watched the full fight or scored it because it's either 48-47 Jones or 49-46 Jones. But I thought it was very competitive and will be again.
Good post, George, especially with all of the hype from both sides. I, too, was caught up in the hype and when I watched the fight, live, I thought it was a clear victory for jones because of the Rogan commentary but watching the fight, again, last week, I missed a few things. The first round was close and I had jones winning, until the last minute, but I didn't notice, the first time, how badly DC had hurt jones at the end of the round. He had jones backing up for about 45 seconds and wobbled him with a few shots that left jones stutter stepping to his corner and he wasn't even able to put the water bottle in his mouth when he sat down. If the judges missed that exchange or didn't deem it damaging enough then I have jones 3-2. The next two rounds, I gave to DC and 4 and 5 weren't monster rounds for jones, as it was mostly "wall and stall", but he did win them, nonetheless. It was a lot closer fight than the fanboys are claiming and this fight should be just as competitive. The "unknown" factor, to me, will be if jones' ring rust is offset by DC's age. It will be entertaining either way.

*Sidenote* the "take down" game was won by jones, 3-1, but he was not able to capitalize on any of them. jones fanboys rave about how jones was able to take DC down "at will" but those were not, anywhere, close to a display of dominance.

I think it's viewed as a blowout because of the incredible hype around DC's wrestling going into the first fight. No one had ever out wrestled DC and a very loud and vocal group of people were making stupid claims about DC being able to take down Jones at will, that he would throw Jones around in the air worse than Henderson, DC himself said he could take Jones down 100 out of 100 times.

Then the fight happened and we saw DC struggle to get Jones down and it seemed like Jones was the one who could take DC down at will. This was something no one had ever seen before.

This is 100% how I feel about it. Prior to the fight I had told some friends that Jones had never been tested by a wrestler of DC's caliber and that if DC could get inside Jone's reach and get his hands on him that it would be a long night for Jones. Then the fight happened, DC got inside and Jones picked him up and spiked him back down like a grown man beating on a child. I remember talking about the fight the next day and describing it as a blowout, but when I rewatched it, I was surprised how close it actually was.

I would completely agree that the TD defense played a big part in the skewed perceptions.

Only people over analyzing it that see thing that aren't really there think it was close.

DC had some moments but the win was decisive, Jones was one round away from a 5-0 shutout.

Mods need to post a sticky.

There's a new "just rewatched Jones/Cormier I" thread every other day.

I'll be rooting for Cormier but I don't see this fight being any different than the first. I think for DC to win he needs a big first round.

DC was doing just fine for 3 but gassed in the championship rounds. He couldn't do much after that & JBJ couldn't finish him. Neither a bad loss nor a strong win.

DC was doing just fine for 3 but gassed in the championship rounds. He couldn't do much after that & JBJ couldn't finish him. Neither a bad loss nor a strong win.
That was a very strong win for Jones.

He just clearly beat an undefeated former HW that a good amount of people thought he would lose to.

Thanks for the replies and I agree with what most of you are saying. As for the confusion, yes I meant "there is no argument to be made that Jones lost the fight". I said that because I figured some clown would come in here thinking I was trying to troll and say DC won. I just saw a 48-47 fight. I remember watching it with 5 buddies and a few of us had it 2-2 going into the 5th but knew Jones was more fresh. I just believe the animosity makes people take sides. I'm a huge boxing fan as well and noticed the same with Pacquiao-Mayweather. The fight sucked but I thought it was a 7-5 type win for Floyd. Even if you had it wider, there was such little action yet you had people saying "he kicked his ass" and there was not ass kicking by either in that fight.

Good points about the TDD. I think that indeed did make people view it as more lopsided.

EDIT: Sorry guys slow day at the office lol. My job is in the legal field and contract negotiation. So I'm not avoiding saving anyone's life or neglecting power lines.

I think it's viewed as a blowout because of the incredible hype around DC's wrestling going into the first fight. No one had ever out wrestled DC and a very loud and vocal group of people were making stupid claims about DC being able to take down Jones at will, that he would throw Jones around in the air worse than Henderson, DC himself said he could take Jones down 100 out of 100 times.

Then the fight happened and we saw DC struggle to get Jones down and it seemed like Jones was the one who could take DC down at will. This was something no one had ever seen before.

It's like seeing Conor knocked down over and over again by someone throwing left hooks.

So, to many, that left an impression that Jones steamrolled DC.

By Floyd, for example.

Getting amped for this rematch. At work bored and just watched the full replay of the first fight on YouTube. Had it 48-47 live and on replay. There is no argument Cormier won, but going into the 5th round it was even to me. Is it MMA in general or just the Jones fanboys who think this was some blowout? Or was it because these guys hate each other so much, the one fanbase has to exaggerate the victory?

Makes me wonder how many people actually watched the full fight or scored it because it's either 48-47 Jones or 49-46 Jones. But I thought it was very competitive and will be again.

Fanboys always believe their guy won, even if he got knocked out in the first second of the first round.

If DC thinks he won that first fight, he should separate Bones from his senses on Saturday.

I thought it was a clear win for Jones, but not a blowout. If anything I was biased the other way as I am not a jones fan and had money on Cormier.

Every human being is biased, guy (except me, of course.)

I'm a Jones fan, but I usually pull for DC as he seems like a good person.

I can't prove that Jones is in DC's head. That's just my assessment based on DC's reactions to Bones' goading. DC can prove me wrong this Saturday.

Score wise, yes, it was competitive.

But DC seemed up to his neck and Jones didn't seem like he was digging too deep.

4-1 honestly most accurate scoring.

That was a very strong win for Jones.

He just clearly beat an undefeated former HW that a good amount of people thought he would lose to.

To be clear, I'm saying that in the sense that it wasn't a blowout/lopsided victory. But yes, considering DC's "legitness", it was one of JBJ's best wins, maybe his best. Legititude should be a real word.

Competitive fight. Cormier could've won with a better game plan.

The 4th was the only clear dominant round of the fight. That was clearly for Jones. Every other round was close rounds. I had it 3-2 to Jones.

Back