Revisting Tank Abbott vs Don Frye from back in the day…

Tank Abbott and Don Frye were really the last of that different kind of American Breed. Now we are represented by Sean Soyboy Strickland and Colby Duckington....

I tend to agree -- it was close, but I feel it was a matter of time before Frye won. Tank didn't have the stamina to defeat Frye, and Frye already took his best shots (albeit not cleanly).
Don was in big trouble and rocked multiple times, if he wasn't so aggressive and pushing forward shortening the distance he would have been dropped multiple times. It was this same desperation to survive that caused Tank to slip (thred on his foot). Don showed toughness and capitalised on 1 moment.

The real question is how would have fight looked if Don wasn't given a free ride in the fight before

Tank was giving Don Frye all he could handle with those big stiff shots to the dome, if Tank doesnt fall I think its entirely possible that Don gets dropped after eating a few more of those power punches
Just by watching that fight, I agree.

Tank Abbott and Don Frye were really the last of that different kind of American Breed. Now we are represented by Sean Soyboy Strickland and Colby Duckington....
Don’t forget Splenda Sean O’Malley and his rainbow 🌈 hair…

Don was in big trouble and rocked multiple times, if he wasn't so aggressive and pushing forward shortening the distance he would have been dropped multiple times. It was this same desperation to survive that caused Tank to slip (thred on his foot). Don showed toughness and capitalised on 1 moment.

The real question is how would have fight looked if Don wasn't given a free ride in the fight before
Don Frye must have slapped you back in the day… no doubt.

Dude, there are SO many stories about juice-head Ken treating people badly.

Don’t know if you have seen “Blood Brothers” Frank Shamrock’s story but if not, watch it.

Ken was an asshole to Frank and used to torture his students at Lion’s Den. Ken was very jealous when Frank started to become a star and then Frank became FAR better then Ken.

Even guys they both fought like Tito and Bas, they all liked and respected Frank and hated Ken.

I used to feel bad for old Ken after watching Tito beat him into a “living death” multiple times but after hearing these kinds of things(like you shared) on many occasions, he deserved all the beatings he got.
Very cool and very interesting. I remember hearing about blood brothers but never checked it out. Will remedy that. And I always thought that Frank seemed like such a nice guy, especially in comparison to Ken. One seemed happy with life, and the other always bitter, complaining, and then taking it out on everyone else.

Yeah it was awesome, that was a great event too Ultimate Ultimate 96. Everything was bigger, badder and better then.

I remember seeing a interview with Frye some years after and he said Tank's punches hurt like hell and that he has serious power and he felt every shot like an electric shock.

I always have fond memories and love for the Ultimate Ultimate events, its a shame they only did 2 of them, they were very successful. You know my favorite fighter ever Dan Severn totally dominated and beat everyone in the first Ultimate Ultimate 95, thats why I love it. No one could even land a punch on him. Great memories.

I'm not sure why they didn't continue the Ultimate Ultimate events, I was expecting Ultimate Ultimate 97 but nothing.

So at times they fought Unsure of which killer guys they hadda fight more
than once in a night. Seeing those badasses throw down as it happened is too cool, hespect !

Thanks for sharing !​

Last edited:

Very good question indeed

Back