Rewatched HEAT

... in like 6-7 years since the last time I saw it. What a great movie! Every character was acted perfectly and the gunfight scene is just as good as I remember it. The reason I haven't watched it in awhile is because I was worried that it has aged poorly and didn't want to ruin my memories of it, but it's still fantastic and perfectly captures the era it takes place in, and took me back, down to the TV sets and mid-90s KISS-FM jingle I grew up on

Still feel bad for the black guy they hire to die like immediately

I couldn't stop thinking about how similar it is to GTA V with Michael being Neil , Trevor being waingro and franklin being Donald (the black guy who wanted to go legit but became a driver for criminals)

1221146_0.jpg

Yep, it's one of those quintessential LA movies you must watch before you die. It's right up there with Boyz in the Hood, LA Confidential, Chinatown, The Big Lebowski, and Pulp Fiction.

102.7 KISS FM! I remember that jingle!

I used to listen to KBIG 104 Disco Saturday Nights back in the late 90's, lulz.

... in like 6-7 years since the last time I saw it. What a great movie! Every character was acted perfectly and the gunfight scene is just as good as I remember it. The reason I haven't watched it in awhile is because I was worried that it has aged poorly and didn't want to ruin my memories of it, but it's still fantastic and perfectly captures the era it takes place in, and took me back, down to the TV sets and mid-90s KISS-FM jingle I grew up on

Still feel bad for the black guy they hire to die like immediately

I couldn't stop thinking about how similar it is to GTA V with Michael being Neil , Trevor being waingro and franklin being Donald (the black guy who wanted to go legit but became a driver for criminals)

1221146_0.jpg
I actually thought that was quite poignant. In hollywood those "one last job" things always go great, but this is probably more realistic. Career con just can't go straight and pays the price for living the life.

HEAT does the opposite of aging poorly

I actually thought that was quite poignant. In hollywood those "one last job" things always go great, but this is probably more realistic. Career con just can't go straight and pays the price for living the life.
It actually did end up reasonably well for him tho. After getting killed driving a car he's now doing TV commercials for car insurance

It actually did end up reasonably well for him tho. After getting killed driving a car he's now doing TV commercials for car insurance
yeah and before that he managed to parlay it into a successful Presidential bid. Though that didn't end quite so well...

yeah and before that he managed to parlay it into a successful Presidential bid. Though that didn't end quite so well...

That's because he is a man of faith that prays to God.....
IMG_1320.JPG

I like that it was still his 30 second rule that cost him. Though it was revenge that he couldn't leave

I love crime movies like this where it's not based around street gangs or the mob (I like those too though!). True professionals flying under the radar who are all about the score and the juice.

Last edited:
There are a few things that annoy me, but it's 8/10 fo sho.

I was working at the Union Bank building downtown when they filmed some of that stuff. Used to eat lunch at the Bonaventure (cylindrical glass building) all the time. Still a quality shootout movie.

I love crime movies like this where it's not based around street gangs for the mob (I like those too though!). True professionals flying under the radar who are all about the score and the juice.

bro, for me, the action IS the juice

I think the whole point of this was to show just how much of a professional De Niro was. He was a meticulous man when it came to planning his heists. All about the details. And the thought of running away with one loose end left behind just didn't sit right with him. So between the professional side of him, and the personal side which wanted revenge for Waingro setting everything into motion, he had no choice but to go after him.

Which stayed true to his philosophy of not forming attachments. The irony being, if he had broken his personal rule in this one instance, he'd have gotten away from the cops and would still be alive. Classic example of a [admittedly dark] hero with a tragic flaw that leads to his downfall.

Right before Neil kills Waingro, Vince says to Justine:

"It's like you said. All I am is what I'm going after."

At this point in the movie the audience is like well yeah. It was in the hospital after Vince's stepdaughter tried killing herself. Very next scene is Neil knocking on Waingro's room door

The whole movie Neil is trying to live by the 30 sec mantra but in the end he's the same as Vincent, all he is is what he's going after

The whole movie Neil is trying to live by the 30 sec mantra but in the end he's the same as Vincent, all he is is what he's going after

"It's that, or we both better go do somethin' else, pal."

Yeah , it was an uncharacteristic mistake by Neil , but i believe the point was to show how serious he was and how personal it was for him.
And also that he had principles and it was against his code to let waynegro live if he knew where to find him. It was that which was weighing on his conscience when he did that uturn after the phone call about his whereabouts..

Which I guess fit t Neil's character perfectly.

I think the whole point of this was to show just how much of a professional De Niro was. He was a meticulous man when it came to planning his heists. All about the details. And the thought of running away with one loose end left behind just didn't sit right with him. So between the professional side of him, and the personal side which wanted revenge for Waingro setting everything into motion, he had no choice but to go after him.

Which stayed true to his philosophy of not forming attachments. The irony being, if he had broken his personal rule in this one instance, he'd have gotten away from the cops and would still be alive. Classic example of a [admittedly dark] hero with a tragic flaw that leads to his downfall.

Holy shit you nailed it. Great job of explaining and writing this. Fantastic work and I enjoyed reading this.

Back