Rewatched my 2017 FOTY (Canelo/GGG)

That's all anyone ever quotes as a response to this debate from the "GGG won" side of the fence. Compubox numbers.

Can't form opinions of their own, and believe the numbers like the 100% accurate (they're not) and assume every punch counted is equal.

The criteria isn't compubox, or like the ammies. You actually have to LOOK at the punches that landed, effectiveness, defense, ring generalship, etc... Canelo landed the hardest, most effective work while navigating around GGG'S normally effective jab and pressure game. Canelo looked relaxed and fought his normal fight, countering and exploiting GGG all night while GGG looked off his game and missed a lot. Looked like he was getting hurt too. It was a great fight, but GGG looked like the one trying to save himself from a loss with a higher output (and much higher number of missed punches Canelo made him pay for), Canelo looked the 12 round fighter pacing himself and not rushing a damn thing, the only thing that wasn't Canelo fighting "Canelo's fight" was he didn't KO GGG. That man can take a punch.

I can't believe people are on here unable to "fathom" a Canelo win. Like it's totally inconceivable lol. Ok, GOD.
i was being intentionally facetious. i never even looked up the numbers until some asshole on this board said canelo won because he landed more power shots. he did, in fact, land more power shots. a grand total of 4 more power shots.

golovkin looked exactly like he always looked, moving forward, jabbing, throwing right hooks and uppercuts behind the jab. so canelo won because he fought his fight, but golovkin didn't? they both fought exactly the way they always do, that's what made it an awesome fight. golovkin moves forward and looks for the kill, canelo fights off the back foot and counters. they fight right into eachother's games - if golovkin wasn't getting old, they could fight 15 times and every one of those fights would be exciting.

and lol at golovkin looking like he was getting hurt. get the fuck out of here. in the 9th (i think?) canelo landed the kind of right that would've maimed a regular middleweight, and golovkin ate it like a cookie. if there is one thing gennady didn't look, it's hurt.

canelo's victory is not completely inconceivable. but i'd have to lean so hard towards him i'd snap my neck. no one can objectively score that fight for him. but if we're judging by saying the guy pressing forward and landing more was just trying to save himself from a loss, then that's a different thing entirely. but it's not objective.

Ummm existing biases exist in everyone. Holy fuck if you thought I didn't include myself in there. I even gave my opinion, which, being an OPINION would make it bias. So when I said this thread was digging up something that was beaten to death, I was incredibly correct. Read this whole thread, it is evidence proving my claim to be valid. You think I walk around pointing fingers at bias not recognizing my own? Seriously? That self-recognition is "smug" and "condescending"? Where can we see that someone is not running through the forum with pointy objects here (I'm not). Should we round corners and pad rooms now for the inept?

You can quote me from wherever, the fact remains that you chose accuse me of things that were utterly false. You chucked some lame picture of a dude with cornrows, which, given the lack of context, is either giving a brief, offputting grin, or battling constipation and trying to hide it. Like I said, use your words (the English language is a beautiful thing). Better yet, ask for clarification. The tone you were looking for was not in my original post.

You accuse me, cast aspersions against me, and resort to a picture?

Shoemaker, I like some of your posts, but this is not your night (or morning, depending on where you are).

What? You said I quoted you from a different thread. What are you talking about? I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you until I know you're speaking rationally. This post is all over the place, and somehow still proves my point.

FWIW I like your posts too and if you didn't mean to say that people who saw the fight must be biased then I misunderstood your post. That's how it read and that's why I posted Xzibit laughing. I'm not going to lie, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably just find a bigger picture of him.

Last edited:
What? You said I quoted you from a different thread. What are you talking about? I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you until I know you're speaking rationally. This post is all over the place, and somehow still proves my point.

FWIW I like your posts too and if you didn't mean to say that people who saw the fight must be biased then I misunderstood your post. That's how it read and that's why I posted Xzibit laughing. I'm not going to lie, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably just find a bigger picture of him.

You misunderstood and this seems like a post about refusing to accept the senseless outcome from a picture born from that very misunderstanding (the fact that you'd need to "go big or go home" with a larger one next time is a rather unremarkable thing to say).

Let's move on.

You misunderstood and this seems like a post about refusing to accept the senseless outcome from a picture born from that very misunderstanding (the fact that you'd need to "go big or go home" with a larger one next time is a rather unremarkable thing to say).

Let's move on.
2bnvi6.jpg

Let's move on.

@Kovalev's "Man Bag" did it for me. And I chuckled. So maybe not remarkable but kind of fun.

i was being intentionally facetious. i never even looked up the numbers until some asshole on this board said canelo won because he landed more power shots. he did, in fact, land more power shots. a grand total of 4 more power shots.

golovkin looked exactly like he always looked, moving forward, jabbing, throwing right hooks and uppercuts behind the jab. so canelo won because he fought his fight, but golovkin didn't? they both fought exactly the way they always do, that's what made it an awesome fight. golovkin moves forward and looks for the kill, canelo fights off the back foot and counters. they fight right into eachother's games - if golovkin wasn't getting old, they could fight 15 times and every one of those fights would be exciting.

and lol at golovkin looking like he was getting hurt. get the fuck out of here. in the 9th (i think?) canelo landed the kind of right that would've maimed a regular middleweight, and golovkin ate it like a cookie. if there is one thing gennady didn't look, it's hurt.

canelo's victory is not completely inconceivable. but i'd have to lean so hard towards him i'd snap my neck. no one can objectively score that fight for him. but if we're judging by saying the guy pressing forward and landing more was just trying to save himself from a loss, then that's a different thing entirely. but it's not objective.

@wilddeuces if you felt singled out, my bad, but here's another dude in this thread talking like seeing the fight for Canelo is so wrong it's against "facts", which is ridiculous. The fight was very close and hard to score many rounds, but some of us saw it for Canelo.

7-5 Canelo is not a slam on GGG or anyone who scored it for him.

no way was it fight of the year. only in hype maybe. what is with people picking foty based on popularity of the combatants rather than the quality of the fight. canelo didn't want none it made for a fairly slow fight.

no way was it fight of the year. only in hype maybe. what is with people picking foty based on popularity of the combatants rather than the quality of the fight. canelo didn't want none it made for a fairly slow fight.

It wasn't FOTY, but it was a very good fight.

It wasn't FOTY, but it was a very good fight.
i though canelo fought a smart fight and kept it really close with his defensive strategy. i think ggg would have blown him out of the water if it had of turned into the scrap fans were hoping for.

Well if the compubox numbers say so, it must be true!

People bitched and complained about how computer scoring ruined the amateurs. But every once in awhile computer scoring pops back up to justify a decision (or justify what they think a decision should have been).

i though canelo fought a smart fight and kept it really close with his defensive strategy. i think ggg would have blown him out of the water if it had of turned into the scrap fans were hoping for.

Was anyone expecting Canelo to just brawl with Golovkin?

no, but they weren't exactly expecting him to fight as defensively as he did either.

He stood in plenty, especially in the early and late rounds. Canelo's cardio remains mediocre, though, so he did try and rest a bit in the middle rounds. All in all, though, it was a solid fight.

He stood in plenty, especially in the early and late rounds. Canelo's cardio remains mediocre, though, so he did try and rest a bit in the middle rounds. All in all, though, it was a solid fight.
to me it looked like he tasted golovkins power early and didn't what a part of it. then at the end when ggg had lost some of the power and canelo had his timing a bit more, he stepped it up, so he didn't look so defensive for the judges.

It is a drawish fight. I changed my mind several times about Hagler - Leonard and I can see how this one will be similar on that regard.
Yeah and imagine if those guys never fight again...

Depends on what you like to see in a fight. For me, this fight was amazing, no other fight was as exciting for me in 2017. Relevance only added to it's intensity.

Back