Rewatched Unbreakable last night for the first time in ages

G

Guestx

Man, I bet it had been 15 years since I last watched this movie.

Recently I rewatched The Sixth Sense, Signs and The Village, so when I ran across Unbreakable on Comcast OnDemand last night I was like, "Okay, let's check this shit out." (My motivation was further fueled by its ties to a certain other film which came out recently.)

I have to say, revisiting this one really reminded me of why I have always regarded Shyamalan so highly as a director. Unbreakable was never my favorite film of his--The Village and Signs in particular I've always thought of as simply more entertaining films--which is why it took me so long to get back around to it, but there's a lot of interesting stuff going on here.

First, the cinematography is excellent. The use of color, the composition and the shot selection is master-level shit. I mean, just take a look at these screencaps:

hqdefault.jpg

640.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Unbreakable%20-%203.jpg

IZZo7ny.gif

This movie is also filled with fantastic understated performances. And once again you can really feel the hand of the director involved. The delivery of each line seems carefully crafted, with M. Night sitting down with the actors and saying, "Okay, we want to do it like THIS."

The cinematography, the performances, the score and the subject matter all come together to create what I feel like is a very interesting viewing experience. It's part Spielberg, part Hitchcock and part M. Night bringing his own unique perspective into the equation, and that's a great combination.

I enjoyed Unbreakable when it first came out, but I feel like now, being older, I am able to appreciate it more than I did then. I previously had Sixth Sense ahead of it, but I'm going to bump it ahead of that one and into third place, behind The Village and Signs.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually a very good movie IMO, one of the best super hero origin stories ever adapted to the big screen.

I think it's his best film. It has a couple brilliant scenes and a subtlety that he doesn't employ so much in his later films (eg. Willis taking off his ring on the train).

It's actually a very good movie IMO, one of the best super hero origin stories ever adapted to the big screen.

It's funny, while I have to acknowledge that it's a superhero movie, I kind of regard it as a superhero movie for people who don't like superhero movies.

If you get what I mean.

It's funny, while I have to acknowledge that it's a superhero movie, I kind of regard it as a superhero movie for people who don't like superhero movies.

If you get what I mean.

I get what you mean. That's probably what makes it better than 9 out of 10 other super hero origin movies.

Last edited:
For those who have already seen Split:

Here's a funny conversation I had last night with a friend who just watched Split (this is actually why I rewatched Unbreakable):

Him: Watched Split. Really good movie but the ending was pretty predictable. Expected something more off the wall from M. Night.

Me: I thought it was pretty good. You do understand the ending ties it into Unbreakable, right?

Him: No. Never seen it.

Me: . . . well that's why the ending didn't seem like a big fucking deal to you.

I think it's his best film. It has a couple brilliant scenes and a subtlety that he doesn't employ so much in his later films (eg. Willis taking off his ring on the train).

From a purely directorial standpoint, you might be right. There's a lot here that feels iconic and that feels like it comes from a director with an extraordinarily clear and assured vision.

But I still find Signs and The Village more enjoyable as a whole.

Loved the movie.

Too bad the hero can be taken out by a Super Soaker.
bork1}

As far as super hero origin movies I'd put it ahead of the following:

Captain America (1990)
Spider-Man (2002)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
Hulk (2003)
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Fantastic Four (2004)
Fantastic Four (2015)
Green Lantern
Green Hornet
Ghost Rider
Daredevil
Hellboy
Man of Steel
Suicide Squad
Ant Man

And probably a few more I can't think of right now.

In fact, the only super hero origin movies I wouldn't put it ahead of are:

Superman (1978)
Iron Man 1
Batman Begins
Batman (1989)

And maybe Blade 1

As far as super hero origin movies I'd put it ahead of the following:

Captain America (1990)
Spider-Man (2002)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
Hulk (2003)
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Fantastic Four (2004)
Fantastic Four (2015)
Green Lantern
Green Hornet
Ghost Rider
Daredevil
Hellboy
Man of Steel
Suicide Squad
Ant Man

And probably a few more I can't think of right now.

I dunno, Captain America (1990) was pretty good...

Op watches way to much tv , movies. I guess that's Utah for you .

Op watches way to much tv , movies. I guess that's Utah for you .

We all have our hobbies. I used to watch a lot of tv and movies until I became a father. Now I don't have much time for it, or video games.

If OP wants to watch movies, more power to him.

Its good but it's silly to think Mr. Glass would actually catch his opposite from small terrorist attacks like that. There are 7 billion people on the planet and he killed a few hundred? What is the actual probability he would find Bruce Willis? Seems like a terrible strategy.

Its good but it's silly to think Mr. Glass would actually catch his opposite from small terrorist attacks like that. There are 7 billion people on the planet and he killed a few hundred? What is the actual probability he would find Bruce Willis? Seems like a terrible strategy.

I think to get hung up on something like that is doing yourself a disservice.

Though personally, I never looked at it as there only being ONE person out there like Bruce Willis. I assumed he was one of a handful, just like there's not just one superhero or supervillain in the comic book world.

Being a filmmaker is my dream, so I consider it a mixture of research and art appreciation.
Hate to ruin your dreams but my friend went to film school at USC payed for by his dad. He is now in a completely different field because Hollywood is mean and selfish!

Hate to ruin your dreams. . .

Don't worry, you didn't.

. . . but my friend went to film school at USC payed for by his dad. He is now in a completely different field because Hollywood is mean and selfish!

Well I'm actually going the other way: Did computer work for 15 years and now I'm pursuing a passion instead. Your friend probably shouldn't have given up so easily.

Also I'll point out that not all filmmaking happens in Hollywood.

Unbreakable is the only Shyamalan movie that I have seen that I really liked. I hated Signs and thought Sixth Sense was just ok but Unbreakable gave me feels. Have not seen any of his other offerings as I didn't like the sound of them especially The Village and of course TLA :D

Hate to ruin your dreams but my friend went to film school at USC payed for by his dad. He is now in a completely different field because Hollywood is mean and selfish!

Don't listen to his bad vibes.

giphy.gif

Back