Rib Injury (Torn Cartilage?)

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Achilles00, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Achilles00

Achilles00 Cleveland's Finest

Hi, everyone. I was an early practitioner of BJJ, having started in the late 90s when I was 17. In 2006, I took a very long break and just started up again about 6 weeks ago. I've kept myself in good shape, but boy does this stuff feel different on a 35 year old body.

Anyway, about a week ago I was grappling with a much heavier guy who was using his weight aggressively. Etiquette gripes aside, my real concern is that I felt a sharp pain in my ribs as he was stacking me. Not a crack or a pop, but a sharp, localized pain. I rolled with a few other partners without much or any additional pain, but at some point I went to roll to escape an omoplata and I felt another sharp pain in the same area and stopped.

The first couple of days afterward were rough, but I took it easy and it's been getting better each day. However, it's still sore to the touch, and my rib(s) are noticeably swollen/protruding in that area. I guess I could have broken something, but it doesn't feel that tender. Some of the guys at the gym said that I "popped" a rib and that my ribs would be permanently misshapen.

I probably should have seen a doctor right away, and I'll go see one this week, but I'm also interested in hearing some feedback from everyone here. Has anyone else had a similar injury? What was your experienced like? Thanks for your input.

2. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    sounds like its dislocated.

3. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

OP, like you said yourself, go see a doctor. Guys here are going to throw out all sorts of injuries. It's way better to get that stuff looked at by a professional

Sano likes this.
  4. BOWHUNTER

BOWHUNTER Gender: Attack Chopper Banned

I have come back after a 7 year lay off. Im 42 now. Im always getting hurt. Everyone wants to go hard on the 200lb guy.

I may start wrecking people.

My neck is fucked and my knee.

LatFlare likes this.
  5. Achilles00

Achilles00 Cleveland's Finest

See, that's the thing. I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs, and I roll pretty methodically. Always have. Seems like everyone wants to beat up on the little guy, too.

Anyway, I saw a doc today who said that the cartilage seems like it gave in/folded, which is making my rib stick out. Said the only treatment is rest.