Rick and Morty season 3 discussion

People who think there is a hidden Obama commentary or critique splayed all over the season 3 finale are forgetting Dan's politics and his targeting of government beyond any one person's involvement. If you know anything about the writer, you'd know he doesn't like compartmentalizing all synthesis into any one person, he's all about Zeitgeist and popular opinion, and the dangers of crowd-sourcing our morality and decision-making.

The guy is post-structuralist at heart, anachronistic in philosophy, improvisational in training, cynical in framing all human competency, and none of those impulses are going to give you your "Evil Morty" boss battle for a season cap. You'd be ten times more likely to get a season finale that consists of 20 minutes straight of rick and morty eating a fucking sandwich and taking a nap if what you wanted to see more than anything in the world was a boss fight. As justin roiland's 15,000 improvised GVP podcast characters would say, "fuck you" because every single one of his inventions, without exception, pursues his anachronism alongside harmon. You don't get to see what you want to see, because that's what every single other show on television is for.

Rick isn't a "red-pill, by-any-means-necessary-troll-the-sensitive" self-satisfied genius, he's hurting from his awareness, in exact parallels to Dan. Dan sees bullshit in almost everything he puts his mind to, and it curses his ability to genuinely invest in those emotional high-notes. He'd rather undermine everything with heart or value to people, but going full-tilt in that direction too, makes him disgusted with its aloofness.

So he, like his titular character rick, frequentlt oscillates between giving zero shits and teleporting back to the scene to preserve what he wants at the very last minute.

It means he absolutely "un-wrings" the bells of his episodes despite the crying from AV club and reddit, because to commit to any one path will ruin his enjoyment. That same spirit of cynical vs salvation infuses real emotional monents of empathy and simultaneous indifference throughout his show's characterizations and plot points. Too much criticism of the show's "smart" deus ex machina and self-parody ignores that very real duality in the writer's philosophy.

TL;DR version:
Criticize nothing of the show's format or character arcs if you haven't heard 500 hours of the writer simultaneously self-deprecating and rebuilding his faith in humanity and story potentials.

Listen to the early harmontowns if you haven't seen anything from it. The latest shows are less about story structure given the changing weekly political climate, and won't illuminate as much about Harmon's writerly and philosophical instincts
I cannot tell if this is some kind of super meta commentary on the Rick and Morty process vs. popular reaction, or the most pretentious post ever made about a cartoon.

I cannot tell if this is some kind of super meta commentary on the Rick and Morty process vs. popular reaction, or the most pretentious post ever made about a cartoon.

@SidJustice you do know what authorial intent is right

You're going to need to be more specific if you want to summarize all of that as pretension, because it is literally a list of examples demonstrating authorial intent

and your two sentence aloofness isn't going to change that

I can put David Hume's treatise on Human Nature

inside a quote box on an internet forum

and call it pretension,

but unless i refute specifics it's just posturing to sound cool, ignoring the argument presented

Last edited:
People who think there is a hidden Obama commentary or critique splayed all over the season 3 finale are forgetting Dan's politics and his targeting of government beyond any one person's involvement. If you know anything about the writer, you'd know he doesn't like compartmentalizing all synthesis into any one person, he's all about Zeitgeist and popular opinion, and the dangers of crowd-sourcing our morality and decision-making.

The guy is post-structuralist at heart, anachronistic in philosophy, improvisational in training, cynical in framing all human competency, and none of those impulses are going to give you your "Evil Morty" boss battle for a season cap. You'd be ten times more likely to get a season finale that consists of 20 minutes straight of rick and morty eating a fucking sandwich and taking a nap if what you wanted to see more than anything in the world was a boss fight. As justin roiland's 15,000 improvised GVP podcast characters would say, "fuck you" because every single one of his inventions, without exception, pursues his anachronism alongside harmon. You don't get to see what you want to see, because that's what every single other show on television is for.

Rick isn't a "red-pill, by-any-means-necessary-troll-the-sensitive" self-satisfied genius, he's hurting from his awareness, in exact parallels to Dan. Dan sees bullshit in almost everything he puts his mind to, and it curses his ability to genuinely invest in those emotional high-notes. He'd rather undermine everything with heart or value to people, but going full-tilt in that direction too, makes him disgusted with its aloofness.

So he, like his titular character rick, frequentlt oscillates between giving zero shits and teleporting back to the scene to preserve what he wants at the very last minute.

It means he absolutely "un-wrings" the bells of his episodes despite the crying from AV club and reddit, because to commit to any one path will ruin his enjoyment. That same spirit of cynical vs salvation infuses real emotional monents of empathy and simultaneous indifference throughout his show's characterizations and plot points. Too much criticism of the show's "smart" deus ex machina and self-parody ignores that very real duality in the writer's philosophy.

TL;DR version:
Criticize nothing of the show's format or character arcs if you haven't heard 500 hours of the writer simultaneously self-deprecating and rebuilding his faith in humanity and story potentials.

Listen to the early harmontowns if you haven't seen anything from it. The latest shows are less about story structure given the changing weekly political climate, and won't illuminate as much about Harmon's writerly and philosophical instincts
The very idea of you over analyzing his show makes him both cream his pants, and hate you at the same time. That's Harmon.

just found this show and its awesome. anyone know where I can watch from season 1? I got netfix and prime and this show is not on there
http://kimcartoon.me/Cartoon/Rick-and-Morty
Enjoy and season 1 was by far my fav season love the meeseeks episode and the dark matter aliens episode, too funny
Btw vids are all naturally in a 360p but all have a hd option with no lag/commercials.

Last edited:
The very idea of you over analyzing his show makes him both cream his pants, and hate you at the same time. That's Harmon.

Nah

The entire post is about views and philosophies expressed on harmontown and how they relate to story structure

Saying it's "over-analysis" is just lazily whitewashing all the specific ideologies behind the post bud

Nah

The entire post is about views and philosophies expressed on harmontown and how they relate to story structure

Saying it's "over-analysis" is just lazily whitewashing all the specific ideologies behind the post bud
Oh, I love the enthusiasm. Just staying, Harmon has a love/hate relationship with fans, especially SUPER fans.

Oh, I love the enthusiasm. Just staying, Harmon has a love/hate relationship with fans, especially SUPER fans.

I don't enjoy being summed up by posters trying to quip neatly where some serious discussion could be had here regarding the nuts and bolts of story structure and ideology so that's what's behind the prickly tone, its not personal towards any one thing or poster

Harmontown has existed for years before rick and morty

"Superfan" is just more labeling cast on a fan of this specific writer's podcast and how it relates to all of his projects

I don't go around outlining Mr Poopybutthole's story arc in Rick and Morty but I know a thing or two about 400+ hours of a writer's podcast confessional and i think giving a shit about the rhetoric behind the show's ideology is a rarely seen investment from fans of the show or neo-cons trying to desperately co-opt rick into their memeverse

God I can't wait to get this fuckin sauce

I cannot tell if this is some kind of super meta commentary on the Rick and Morty process vs. popular reaction

Henrik Ibsen wrote A Doll's House featuring the character Nora, a wife who leaves her patronizing yet loving husband behind to pursue a life for herself, even if it meant dying in a gutter in a world that did not sustain unmarried older women

It was one of the first Scandinavian stories to feature an outspoken, confident female character with agency and narrative sympathy to her defiance of social roles

Ibsen did not create the story with any progressivism or advocacy in mind, he simply "wanted to tell a story with conflict" and repeatedly fended off accolades from progressive literary, dramatic organizations and award circuits

The grumpy old man would literally receive awards, walk up to the podium and declare that he did not understand their cause and walk off

He also wrote the play "Ghosts" featuring one of the rarest examples of broaching the subject of STDs for its time period across all of europe. To create a story in which an attractive young man dissolves into syphillytic madness was extremely controversial and praised for raising awareness to STDs even existing, popularly denied by most of the population during the time of its release

Again, Ibsen was confused and declared himself "in service to writing stories about conflict and loss" not to make any statement

Towards the end of his life he took to sitting in his attic and literally throwing stones at fans of his work who would visit his home to heap praise on his open-minded story constructions

That is the opposite end of the spectrum of authorial intent, one that speaks to how the world at large can interpret stories within a framework beyond the author itself, and mark them for years to come, as such. Ibsen is taught in schools within the progressive context, that reading of his work outlives him to this day

Do we allow that same extension on Rick and Morty to provide politics or parallel attitudes where Harmon did not intend? That's the tough question.

His anachronism and nihilism can go in several directions of interpretation, historical/political context, and that's the rhetorical argument you have to reconcile with yourself

I approve the historical contexts that make Ibsen's plays progressive and advocates for their time beyond his intent. I don't know if I feel the same way about Harmon, I think his ideology needs to remain intact here

Last edited:
just found this show and its awesome. anyone know where I can watch from season 1? I got netfix and prime and this show is not on there
its on hulu but you can also find live streams of season one and two on youtube

lol the analysis of the show is a bit overboard. just fuckin enjoy it. its a cartoon comedy for crying out loud. yeah its a lot deeper than most and some analysis is cool, but jesus christ who wants to read a high school english art analysis on rick and morty.

lol the analysis of the show is a bit overboard. just fuckin enjoy it. its a cartoon comedy for crying out loud. yeah its a lot deeper than most and some analysis is cool, but jesus christ who wants to read a high school english art analysis on rick and morty.

NOBODY.png

So you came to a discussion thread about rick and morty and you're triggered by how much discussing is going on?

Do you eat peanut butter sandwiches while bragging to your girlfriend how peanut butter sandwiches are only eaten by losers

I thought this season wasn't as good as the first two. The finale was a major letdown, but the end gave me hope that shit will get a little more back to normal for this show.

Back