Rickson Gracie: Modern BJJ Black Belts Remind Me of Karate Practitioners Clueless of Jiu-Jitsu

Bumblebeef

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Rickson Gracie’s opinion on modern Jiu Jitsu:

“In the past, when we arrived in the US, we were teaching Jiu-Jitsu to Karate black belts, who at the time felt like they knew everything. When they got exposed to real Jiu-Jitsu, they would say that they lost 20 years of their lives doing Karate, and now they realized what the real thing is. So somehow when I go to a (BJJ) seminar these days, I get the same impression from Jiu-Jitsu black belts. They’re like “Wow, I never taught that this existed in Jiu-Jitsu”. If we don’t do something very soon, Jiu-Jitsu will lose its fight-identity.”

https://bjj-world.com/rickson-graci...mind-karate-practitioners-clueless-jiu-jitsu/

Last edited:

“In the past, when we arrived in the US, we were teaching Jiu-Jitsu to Karate black belts, who at the time felt like they knew everything. When they got exposed to real Jiu-Jitsu, they would say that they lost 20 years of their lives doing Karate, and now they realized what the real thing is. So somehow when I go to a (BJJ) seminar these days, I get the same impression from Jiu-Jitsu black belts. They’re like “Wow, I never taught that this existed in Jiu-Jitsu”. If we don’t do something very soon, Jiu-Jitsu will lose its fight-identity.”

https://bjj-world.com/rickson-graci...mind-karate-practitioners-clueless-jiu-jitsu/

to be black belt means not much.

quote-belts-are-only-good-for-holding-up-your-pants-bruce-lee-87-37-53.jpg

Cool story Mr. Rickson.

I wonder why you did not show Royce how to outgrapple Matt Hughes.

Rickson's still delusional thinking that BJJ is the be-all-end-all martial art. Why did you avoid Marco Ruas and Bas like the plague, Rickson?

(I would also bring up Saku but Rickson's son died at that time so he gets a pass on that one)

How come Roger isnt HW champ then?

Striking practitioners are clueless about grappling technique?

What's next, grapplers who are clueless about striking techniques?

Gracie BJJ is great until you can defend it. Then back to punching in the face and wrestling. Those Brazilian wizards certainly deserve credit they get for upstaging everything but now are largely irreverent. Will we ever see another Gracie in UFC? Doubt it.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Some of these new practioners have expanded the game beyond the Gracie families wildest imagination. They have been fading into obscurity for years now. I’ve got a feeling as well that at some of these seminars there is a lot of dick sucking and politeness because they don’t want to upset the guest. Nobody wants to be that guy at the seminar that says “seen it” or “we already know that”.

People here talk as if he was a neutral party.

He doesn't sound sour or delusional, but like the representative of a brand. Which he is: he is a representative of Gracie JJ, and of his own brand which is an extension of it. In a day with thousands of academies and approaches, they have a lot of competition. Of course they are going to hype themselves up as the 'real deal'. They are a business.

You don't expect McDonalds to say they think In and Out makes a better burger.

Last edited:
seeing how ppl buy their black belts nowadays I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying of course the shit is going to get watered down when you have black belts handing them out like candy. Fucking Roan Carneiro got triangled by a purple belt in Kevin Burns how the fuck is he a black belt.

Rickson's still delusional thinking that BJJ is the be-all-end-all martial art. Why did you avoid Marco Ruas and Bas like the plague, Rickson?

(I would also bring up Saku but Rickson's son died at that time so he gets a pass on that one)
Rip rockson

He forgets that when he first showed bjj to Karate guys and they first started the UFC to showcase BJJ that nobody had a clue of what it was. No idea how to defend or submit. That's why they were so dominant. Once wrestlers realized stay in guard or side control and use ground and pound ( anybody say Coleman) that BJJ started showing it's limitations early on. Then came guys like Chuck using wrestling in reverse ,not letting guys get the takedown and knocking them out.

MMA is STILL evolving!! BJJ is only one aspect of the sport. Look at Mia who's a TOP level BJJ Black Belt , he's limited when he can't get a takedown. Even in BJJ it doesn't look like the Gracie's are evolving as much as others. Bravo and his rubber guard and twister or Danahar and his system of not only moving up the body but down to wherever there's an opportunity. His team has dominated BJJ the last couple of years subbing Gracie BB's with leg locks simply by changing the game.

All should be thankful for the Gracie's for bringing BJJ to the world. However they have to evolve their own game, develope it more for MMA if he wants to say such things. With respect I say this, but it feels like some of the family is living on the glory days of yesteryear and not paying attention to the future themselves.

he's right thought. modern sport bjj is definitely evolving away from real fighting.

Are we at Sherdog, such morons that we can't understand the quote? He is not talking about MMA as a sport, he is talking about Jiu Jitsu as a fighting style. To many, as you've just pointed out, it has become only a part of the "ring" with rounds and rules. "What about Hughes", "What about Sakuraba", we ask, but place them in an open field with no time limits or judges and things change tremendously. You may find the action boring but the results may surprise you. Two of the greatest fights I have ever seen would never have occurred or may have had different results under the new rules: Gracie vs Kimo and Gracie vs Severn. Under the new rules, I believe both fighters would have "Matt Hughes-ed" Gracie but under the old rules Gracie would have beaten Hughes. Show some respect and don't rush to elite levels of Shertardedness just because a Gracie speaks out every once in a while.

Ah the Gracies humble and not full of sh*t as always

Are we at Sherdog, such morons that we can't understand the quote? He is not talking about MMA as a sport, he is talking about Jiu Jitsu as a fighting style. To many, as you've just pointed out, it has become only a part of the "ring" with rounds and rules. "What about Hughes", "What about Sakuraba", we ask, but place them in an open field with no time limits or judges and things change tremendously. You may find the action boring but the results may surprise you. Two of the greatest fights I have ever seen would never have occurred or may have had different results under the new rules: Gracie vs Kimo and Gracie vs Severn. Under the new rules, I believe both fighters would have "Matt Hughes-ed" Gracie but under the old rules Gracie would have beaten Hughes. Show some respect and don't rush to elite levels of Shertardedness just because a Gracie speaks out every once in a while.

Rickson lost a lot of his "vale tudo/fighting" credit when it was revealed that his two most famous fights (with Zulu) had "special rules" that the Gracies didn't disclose to the public. (which the Gracies are NOTORIOUS for; just like they attempted with the Royler/Bravo rematch). Zulu wasn't allowed to punch Rickson with a closed fist or kick/stomp him on the ground; Zulu's MAIN "strengths". Sorry but they all need to be called out for their bullshit. (Renzo gets a pass though, he was always down to fight and took his losses like a fucking man)

I have tremendous respect for Rickson, but even in his prime, Rickson would be destroyed by today's fighter. Someone like Maia or Jacare or even Big Nog would embarrass him

Rickson lost a lot of his "vale tudo/fighting" credit when it was revealed that his two most famous fights (with Zulu) had "special rules" that the Gracies didn't disclose to the public. (which the Gracies are NOTORIOUS for; just like they attempted with the Royler/Bravo rematch). Zulu wasn't allowed to punch Rickson with a closed fist or kick/stomp him on the ground; Zulu's MAIN "strengths". Sorry but they all need to be called out for their bullshit. (Renzo gets a pass though, he was always down to fight and took his losses like a fucking man)
Damn it' bad when renzo' has most sportsmanship

Back