Rickson Gracie: Modern BJJ Black Belts Remind Me of Karate Practitioners Clueless of Jiu-Jitsu

2 things. First, his mouth. Saying how he'd still beat the best MMA fighters in 2008. Second, (what I've already stated) He preferred style vs style fights and not fighting "top competition". Plus, Rickson was also asking for astronomical amounts of money to fight. (Millions)

He can say what he feels like saying. But the idea of him ducking Bas in 1995, who was being submitted by Ken Shamrock, sounds ridiculous. In 1995, a fight against Bas was in essence a style vs style fight.

He can say what he feels like saying. But the idea of him ducking Bas in 1995, who was being submitted by Ken Shamrock, sounds ridiculous. In 1995, a fight against Bas was in essence a style vs style fight.
Once again, I stated that Bas had been CALLING HIM OUT SINCE 1995 and Bas OBVIOUSLY [and self admittedly] significantly improved his ground game by the time Rickson chose to fight Funaki.

Bas' interview http://www.cagepotato.com/unforgettable-bas-rutten-discusses-his-greatest-opponents/ "I never faced Ken with my new and improved ground skills, After my last loss against Ken, I finally found one person who would train with me. We would go crazy, only ground, two or sometimes three times a day. From my next eight fights, I won seven by submission. I got “the bug.”

I'm not remotely saying Bas would've subbed Rickson but he would've beat him and Rickson knew that. And no, Rickson was a purist, Bas trained in 5-6 martial arts so it wasn't "style vs style"

Last edited:
Why did Rickson pick Funaki and not Ruas or Bas to fight in 2000? Rickson tried to avoid fighting "complete fighters" his entire life. Look at his record and even his "challenge matches" videos. (Wrestlers, judokas, kung-fu, street fighters) ETC. Rickson preferred style vs style fights; not well rounded opponents. Hell, Rickson even had to "cheat" and throw Yuki Nakai over the ropes to stop from being submitted. Someone he outweighed by 30-40 pounds.

Funaki was a big name in Japan from his pro wrestling days, not only that he had an excellent record in Pancrase, the former translated to a big money fight; whereas Bas (who was 1-1 against Funaki) and Ruas wouldn't have meant much to the Japanese audience. Rickson wanted a big payday. Ruas' shine also wore off by the time Rickson faced Funaki, Ruas lost his last two, one to the Diet Butcher of all fighters.

Funaki was a big name in Japan from his pro wrestling days, not only that he had an excellent record in Pancrase, the former translated to a big money fight; whereas Bas (who was 1-1 against Funaki) and Ruas wouldn't have meant much to the Japanese audience. Rickson wanted a big payday. Ruas' shine also wore off by the time Rickson faced Funaki, Ruas lost his last two, one to the Diet Butcher of all fighters.
That fight ALSO had "special rules" [no knees or elbows standing or on the ground] plus Funaki was already one dimensional. Rickson avoided "complete fighters" one way or another.

If Rickson was the big dick he likes to say he was, he would've joined the IVC and WVC in Brazil to fight all the murderers in the 90s.
Pele, Wand, Ruas, Kerr, Oleg, Gurgel, Rizzo, Vernon White, etc.

Once again, I stated that Bas had been CALLING HIM OUT SINCE 1995 and Bas OBVIOUSLY [and self admittedly] significantly improved his ground game by the time Rickson chose to fight Funaki.

Bas' interview http://www.cagepotato.com/unforgettable-bas-rutten-discusses-his-greatest-opponents/ "I never faced Ken with my new and improved ground skills, After my last loss against Ken, I finally found one person who would train with me. We would go crazy, only ground, two or sometimes three times a day. From my next eight fights, I won seven by submission. I got “the bug.”

I'm not remotely saying Bas would've subbed Rickson but he would've beat him and Rickson knew that. And no, Rickson was a purist, Bas trained in 5-6 martial arts so it wasn't "style vs style"

Done debating. We are both set in our opinions. We are now just wasting time. Maybe I’ll catch you in another thread.

Some of you shitting on people for "disrespecting Rickson" are the same douches running their mouths about Fedor, GSP, Jones, Silva, etc. Rickson hasn't done anything more to deserve respect than they have, so STFU.

If Rickson was the big dick he likes to say he was, he would've joined the IVC and WVC in Brazil to fight all the murderers in the 90s.
But those orgs didn't allow "Gracies special rules" so there was no way in hell Rickson was getting in that ring other than by being handcuffed kicking and screaming.

Some of you shitting on people for "disrespecting Rickson" are the same douches running their mouths about Fedor, GSP, Jones, Silva, etc. Rickson hasn't done anything more to deserve respect than they have, so STFU.

Nature of MMA fans, showing of their intelligence, prowess and experience by exposing the fake and horrible fighters.

So many people missing the point. He isn't wrong; not every school has a high standard on those black belts.

It's obvious to anyone who actually read the OP. At least it should be obvious.

most of you are missing the point

Most of them didn't read beyond the thread title, saw Rickson, and already knew what they were gonna say without reading the OP at all. Welcome to Sherdog.

This thread was wasted in the UFC discussion with all the short bus window licking mouth breathers.

The original Rei Zulu sherdog interview was right here. It looks like Sherdog took it down but there has to be another out there.
http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videointerview/Zulu-Talks-Long-Career-Rickson-Bout-1434 .

His son Zuluzinho did an interview in Portuguese in 2004-05 (before he fought Fedor) and it was brought up by the interviewer and confirmed by Zuluzinho too. I'm at work right now but I'll try to find it later.

I don't believe it, no way. It's a salty Zulu excuse, Gracie's fought for decades with fewer rules than any style, sport or organization, I call BS. Rickson was so good it looked like Zulu couldn't punch him because, technically be wasn't capable of it. Rickson went from to state to state and challenged anyone and everyone he could find until it became a professional sport and he held out for top paydays but he was head and shoulders above those who claim now they could have beaten him in the 90's. Nope, he was the man.

Instead he avoided those guys, along with Sak, Frank and Ken Shamrock, Bas, Igor V, .etc in Japan, the UFC and elsewhere.

those who claim now they could have beaten him in the 90's. Nope, he was the man.

To quote Sonnen (who was quoting some pro wrassler): "To be the man, you have to beat the man."

Rickson avoided the best fighters in the 90s. So no, he wasn't "the man."

Gracie BJJ is great until you can defend it. Then back to punching in the face and wrestling. Those Brazilian wizards certainly deserve credit they get for upstaging everything but now are largely irreverent. Will we ever see another Gracie in UFC? Doubt it.

You might. If Kron Gracie ever opts to
fight more consistantly and join US promotions.

There’s too many Gracie’s and upcoming Gracie’s for there not to eventually be one that can put a high level all around game together. I think the Roger, Rolles, Ralek generation just weren’t properly brought up to be MMA fighters since the belief was still that BJJ was enough to dominate like the Royce and Rickson days. They’ll keep coming though and they’re all born into BJJ.

Last edited:
Modern Gracies remind me of Woolly Mammoth. They were heavy on top until the world passed them by.
fh_mammoth_hunt2.jpg

Back