Rickson vs. the best

-c4610820dc765944_JPG.jpg

You sir are my hero.

Toasting epic bread

“I have trained with the toughest guys formed by Carlson Gracie. They were all great and I for sure don’t want to diminish anybody, but I have to say that no one ever did to me what Rickson Gracie has done during training these last days.” - Former WEC champ Paulo Filho

circa 2006-2007 ish

in a no time limit submission only gi match, I can see rickson still being able to win

with points and a timelimit, no way

Rickson by armbar.

If Ronda Rousey wins by another armbar we need to start calling her Honda Housey.

Could Karl Gotch submit Rickson if they were both in their prime? Would Gene Lebell throw Rickson if they were both in their prime? What if Sakuraba would have fought Rickson in the early Pride days?

So many what ifs....

WHO CARES!

Rickson would own Gotch easily, just by the fact that he learned and developed techniques in an era of a much more refined grappling.

Who would win in a fight between Attila the hun and Genghis khan or perhpas Caesar vs Alexander the great.

The ONLY way to find out would to build a spaceship and slingshot ourselves around the sun to go back in time. Somehow capture a prime Rickson and doing the same for Sakuraba etc and taking them to the present day.

Then we set up an exclusive fighting tournament that is set on an island where you can only get there by boat from Hong Kong. Let them duke it out there and finally we will know who would of won.

I can't imagine any other way making sense.

Rickson would own Gotch easily, just by the fact that he learned and developed techniques in an era of a much more refined grappling.

Well, given he trained with guys like Kimura, Thesz, LeBell, etc., one would think Gotch's technique was pretty dang refined. 99% of us have never even seen the basic submission flow that he taught most of his students and all people can really say is that Fujiwara, Sayama and other students have used his submission flows as a foundation for the lock-flows they teach their own students. But as far as I know and I have looked--Gotch's own lock-flow hasn't been featured on a published instructional. What I'm saying is that most of us can only really critique him as a teacher and that only indirectly because we haven't actually seen him in action or even experienced his instruction or even a video of his grappling instruction.

You could certainly compare the lock-flows his students taught and probably get a sense of what Gotch's was like based on the similarities but even then you're getting into speculation.

An interesting what-if, for me, at least, is what would have happened had the Kosen guys, the catch guys, the sambists, the luva livre fellows, the BJJ'ists and so forth not been so splintered prior to the 90's and all trained together and competed against each other.

Last edited:
The top guys today would beat Rickson the talent pool for BJJ has never been larger.

Well, given he trained with guys like Kimura, Thesz, LeBell, etc., one would think Gotch's technique was pretty dang refined. 99% of us have never even seen the basic submission flow that he taught most of his students and all people can really say is that Fujiwara, Sayama and other students have used his submission flows as a foundation for the lock-flows they teach their own students. But as far as I know and I have looked--Gotch's own lock-flow hasn't been featured on a published instructional. What I'm saying is that most of us can only really critique him as a teacher and that only indirectly because we haven't actually seen him in action or even experienced his instruction or even a video of his grappling instruction.

You could certainly compare the lock-flows his students taught and probably get a sense of what Gotch's was like based on the similarities.

An interesting what-if, for me, at least, is what would have happened had the Kosen guys, the catch guys, the sambists, the luva livre fellows, the BJJ'ists and so forth not been so splintered prior to the 90's and all trained together and competed against each other.

You don’t need to guess that much.

Bjj leglockers today is what would’ve happened. Crazy guard entries to devastating inverted hh... pretty much the submission wrestling scene of now...

Back