Ring To Cage C-17 Custom

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals! 1st off lemme just say thanks for supporting the youtube channel!

Okay, so I haven't done a review for quite a while and I after the long awaited C17 2.0 Came out some people still were non believers.

As I compared it to my Winnings I realized they didn't share the same features. My 2.0 were lace, my Winnings had a custom Velcro Closure. My Winning Customs had custom colors my 2.0s did not.

So I called Mohsin (Owner of Ring to Cage) and I told him everything I wanted in the newest flagship glove from Ring to Cage the C-17 2.0. But this time it would be a custom glove instead of an off the shelf glove.

Company is based out of New Jersey, and Moshin is the go to guy regarding any questions Ring to cage. What can I say about this guy? He actually listens to the consumer base. I told him what was wrong with the 1st version and he made improvements as well as for some input on how to make the glove BETTER. Really he could have been lazy and just made the 2nd version a true weight and everyone would have been happy. But he goes above and beyond and really does care about the consumer and just bringing some much needed want/desire to make it BETTER.

I yanked this from my original C17 review, after I came to him about the custom requests he was very understanding and filled the order immediately.

The video ran a bit long but that's okay, I really wanted to showcase the craftsmanship and design of Mohsin's team down at ring to cage. They certainly didn't disappoint. Why am I doing a written review? Well I always felt my thoughts are more put together and I can flow. While I know a good video review is awesome, as you can actually see the glove from multiple angles and see how it ACTUALLY is vs looking at pictures. I still think a written review is always needed because video reviews often leave out the minute details. The details that some people hold in high regard.

SO how are these different than the base model?

4 inch Velcro Closure
Custom colors
Embossed logo (Cleto Reyes Style)
Change of Logo on glove itself
THATS it! I was so happy with the base model I just wanted to improve on what I felt that was important. After all they are MY gloves.

The Look:
If you noticed from the original C-17 2.0 and this updated version (all new Retail C-17 2.0s will have this, only clamps and my 2.0s) which I reviewed the profile was wide and flat looking pretty identical to the 1.0. This custom job and new 2.0s will have a more curved profile. The integrity of the glove didn't change only the cosmetic aspect of it. If you noticed in the new video if you watched it the latest 2.0s are actually slightly more curved than my winnings.

The glove is beautiful shaped. All the stitching is in order. I swapped out the traditional logo for the square "Icon" logo. I felt a square logo would look sleeker on my custom glove and I was very pleased with the results!

The 4 inch Velcro closure looks robust and side by side with my Winnings are identical in size but not in shape. The winnings have a rounded closure whereas the C17s have a square. The Ring to Cage is far easier to grab and close gloved up.

I asked for White accents on the glove to include the stitching (Double Stitched). Ive always been a fan of 3 colors on a glove. I almost always go with white as the colors really pop when this happens.

Feel:
Putting these babies on, the liner feels identical to my Winning liner, and the hand compartment was actually a little more snug than the Winnings.

I myself constantly use Cleto Reyes which have a wide hand compartment so Im use to gloves of all shapes and sizes. For those that do NOT like your hand swimming in a glove these C17s will be right up your alley.

The thumb is picture perfect, very ideal. I doubt anyone will complain about the position of the thumb. Thumb should accommodate most thumbs.

Ring to Cage gloves always come broken in except for the thai gloves. These are broken in ready to use so you don't have to spend time breaking them in before use.

Hand is SUPER easy to close, and relatively easy to open.

Velcro closure is VERY solid. The extra inch helps out a lot which is why I HAD to get it on this glove because of the extra support that it provides completely locking the wrist and forearm in place.

Gloves stay relatively cool, I love it.

Unlike my Winnings these come equipped with a small elastic band above the closure so it prevents the glove from excessive bunching up near the palm area. Sometimes my winnings do it and I have to readjust so it doesn't feel awkward.

Performance:
Ive been made a true believer of these gloves. The shock absorption is great! You can really put your punches together without feeling that "sting" that sometimes other gloves do when you hit the heavy bag really solidly.

The padding is a great medium density and does a superb job of mitigation. Those with bad hands or injuries looking for a protective glove look no further.

In sparring the padding is very forgiving but you still have enough feedback to know you landed a solid hit. These gloves aren't overly padded either. What I mean by that is some gloves have 22 inches of padding they not only look ridiculous but they feel ridiculous.

No, these C17s are perfectly balanced with the feeling of power coupled with the element of protection.

Costs:
Custom Ring to Cage gear costs $130 with a 5-7 week wait. So be patient if you place an order :wink:

Normal C-17s will run around $99 and come in both lace and a 3" Velcro

Weight:
16 3/4oz
They were well within the margin of weight, I know the 4 inch Velcro closure added to the weight no doubt but hey I love it. And its always better to be heavier than light for sparring.

Overall:
I know there will still be believers and non believers. I know that some people will pass off Ring to Cage as another "Non Boxing brand" but hey if you are open minded and looking for one of THE BEST gloves on the market look no further. The C-17 sits atop the pinnacle of performance, and protection. To be perfectly honest I'd get another pair of these before I even though about ordering custom Winnings again. The quality and performance are razor thin. But the Pricing is not. You have a $400+ glove vs Ring to Cages $130 glove. I think I'll just stick to Ring to Cage. Excellent customer service, the owner TRULY cares. And for anyone that's ordered on the phone with Mohsin or online you know he really goes out of his way to make sure your experience was a memorable one. If there is ever any issue he takes care of it as well.

Ordering Info:
These should be on the webpage on 2/24/14 but you can always call on the phone to place an order with Mohsin.

Score:
A+
Outstanding value without sacrificing performance

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited:
Comparison with my Custom Winning

kzlt.jpg
1ux4.jpg

npr1.jpg

Few subtle differences.

The Ring to Cage is slightly more compact

The Ring to Cage is more rounded on the back hand of the glove

The Ring to Cage has a small elastic over the palm area to keep the glove from bunching up on itself.

And the Ring to Cage Closure has a more square closure vs the Rounded closure of the Winning. The Squarish design is easier to close gloved up.

Last edited:
Thanks for yet another great review. Sounds like you've really hit the jackpot with these, It's a shame that shipping is around $60 for me.

Yeah being in the USA, we are spoiled with gear choices!

Also im starting to notice my Winnings kind of look beat up now on the pics lol.

They have served me very well that's for damn sure!

Yeah being in the USA, we are spoiled with gear choices!

Also im starting to notice my Winnings kind of look beat up now on the pics lol.

They have served me very well that's for damn sure!

Yeah for sure, there's a number of gloves I'd love to get my hands on but it just doesn't make sense financially.

How long have you had the winnings for? Love the gold they've used for your gloves.

My next set of gloves after top boxer winning clones.

Yet another fantastic review Strat!!!! Those R2C gloves are beautiful!!!

Love the pictures!!!

The logo is bad for OCD people though:icon_chee

Great review as usual, thank you! Based on your last review I picked up an early pair of the C17 2.0's (December, 2013). I love them, but they are quite wide - about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wider than a pair of Winnings. Is the newer version any narrower than than the ones you reviewed last year?

I think the dimensions are the same as Winning I thought only clamp and I had the wide 2.0s I still use my black ones but to me they are about the same.

but yeah the newest ones are still 2.0 just more rounded everything thing else is the same. So its not a different glove from what you bought other than the look.

The pair coming to me are the wider ones I believe also based on pictures.

Yeah I did, but its the same exact one as can be ordered (base model) all I did was change the color and I already have a review on the face-saver :)

I blasted a dude in the face earlier tonight with the 2.0s....It was sweet.

Glad you like them IW, they were worth the wait wouldn't you say?

Back