Ring to Cage Mini Mitt Review/Update!

ClampXVII

Bravado Muay Thai Trainer
@Black
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations readers. I'm gonna be doing an update of a review that I've done before. Earlier I reviewed Ring to Cage's Mini Punch Mitts (Review | Ring To Cage Mini Punch Mitts) They scored very well (8.5/10) but had a few things they needed to work on. Well in this review we'll be discussing their new mini punch mitt with safety cover.

If you haven't read or don't want to read the original review then I'll give you a short summary. The mitts are very well made. When you hear that big things come in small packages, they are probably referring to these mitts. They're extremely tough and light (8 oz.) and can handle a pounding. You don't get a lot of shock being transferred to your elbows or shoulders thanks to the gel lining, but it also doesn't let you get those loud pops during use. I thought the mitts worked especially well for training people to throw fast punches and combinations as well as slipping and developing punch accuracy. I've used them for elbow work and combinations with elbows but only with more experienced students so I'd hold off on letting a beginner throw an elbow on these little suckers. I think these are perfect if you're the kind of guy who carries a Jansport backpack as a gym bag that's stuffed to the brim or just want to challenge yourself and training partners. I use these on a regular basis but when it comes to updating the old fight bag these are the mitts that will be going on the road with me.

If you haven't looked at the pictures I suggesting do so now. Because it's pretty much the reason for the whole review. Everything that made that mini mitt great is still in tact but with a new mesh cover, slitted hand compartment, and hook and loop strap. One new feature that can't be seen but felt is the extra piece of foam inside the cover that touches and protects the fingers. I'll be honest I didn't think it was comfortable at first BUT I found it to be very useful. It protects the fingers from jamming whenever a punch lands directly on them. The mesh hood keeps things cool when I'm doing lots of rounds and when I'm moving fast I look like a human squirt gun. The mitts air out fast and hasn't gotten stinky despite all the sweat I've poured into it. The hand compartment is something that kept the original mitt from getting a solid review but thankfully they went back and fixed it. It's now slit at the left and right side so it'll accommodate even Lesnar's meat hooks. Finally the hook and loop strap just keep the mitts from shifting and keep the wrist feeling secure. It's added security for anyone who wants to use these.

So there you have it an update on a product that earned a respectable score. It's funny that a couple years after I talk about this product it gets the update I wanted to see and even a feature I didn't think about. Great work from Mohsin and his company! Now is there a bad about these mitts? Nope. They're pretty much perfect and if you're an owner of the original then I suggest you take a look at these, and if you're new to the mini mitts I highly recommend these over anything else.

Final Score: 10/10

For those who don't like to read:

+Updated design
+Excellent craftsmanship
+Hook and loop strap
+Foam padding inside the hand compartment
+Finally a hood
+Gel Lining
+Looks cool
+Comfortable
+Lightweight

You can buy these here http://www.ringtocage.com/geltech-mini-punch-mitt-safety-cover/

Pics
100_2554.jpg

100_2556.jpg

100_2555.jpg

100_2557.jpg

100_2558.jpg

Last edited:
I have the originals and like them very much. Just used them today for my private lessons.

Nice review! Funny how both this mitt and the ringside have the nub to make the mitt look like a cobra. I have these:
GelTech Cobra Curved Punch Mitt (thanks to DSP's review!)
and they also have the funky nub. I wonder if there's a purpose for it, or is it just to make it look cool?

I think it's to help it's concave look/shape but I could be wrong.

Back