Rival 10oz RFX-Velcro Guerrero Fight Gloves (Mini/initial Review)

Turbo Ace

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I bought these gloves with the intention of finding a 10oz fight glove which I can use for training (bag and pads). I was of course considering on getting a pair of 10oz Winning gloves, as these are probably regarded as the best fight gloves for training (yeah Floyd uses Grant orthopedic for training...but I don't have 1000.00 to spend on gloves...and he's probably sponsored to use those anyways). However, the moment I saw these gloves being sold I fell in love. I've always dreamed of a company producing a legitimate fight glove with a velcro enclosure, just so it would save me the time and hassle of trying to lace them up. Yes I know that Winning produces a 10oz velcro model, but I have a pair of velcro Winning's in 16oz's, and the wrist protection really isn't that great.

I bought these gloves on Black Friday, for the price of 143.00 CDN (including shipping). I only saved 15%...but I thought the hell with it and purchased it anyways. I also have a pair of their RFX Guerrero Lace-Ups and they were very high quality, so I felt that I couldn't lose.

Anyways, since I just received these in the mail, this will just be a sort of mini review since I've only been able to use them for about 5 rounds so far. I will update this post later on, once I gather more data.

Appearance: 5/5
Looks are subjective....but I personally think these are some of the sexiest gloves I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for the red and black color scheme, and for some reason the Rival logos don't seem as obnoxious compared to their traditional black and orange colorway. The logo and velcro strap also look extremely appealing, as the strap is nice and thick.

20151204_170514.jpg

Craftsmanship: 4.5/5
I'm honestly having a hard time finding any loose stitching or any imperfections with the leather. I really didn't think a mainstream company such as Rival could match Winning or Cleto Reyes craftsmanship...but I have to give credit where credit is due. The double stitching is pretty much perfect, and no blotchy paint spots anywhere. I docked a 0.5 of a mark, due to the leather (specificaly on the palm side) not feeling quite as high as a Reyes or Winning glove...but I feel that it is still extremely high quality.

20151204_170555.jpg

Comfort and Feel: 5/5
Everyone loves the feel of a good fight glove, and this is no different. The liner feels extremely comfortable, and the position of your fist is pretty much on par with a Reyes fight glove. It does feel true to weight, and there is absolutely no discomfort even with wraps on. If I really had to complain about anything, it would be that the liner is actually different when comparing the palm side, to the back of the hand. The palm side feels extremely good and gel-like, while the back of the hand is more of a traditional nylon. However, I feel that the reason why it's like this is because the palm side liner may be a bit too slippery that your hand may move around a bit more. Regardless, the comfort as a whole is pretty much perfect.

20151204_182022.jpg

20151204_182022.jpg

Durability: TBA
I've only done 5 rounds on these gloves so far, so I will give an update when I put more work into them.

Feedback (The feel of hitting the bag): 5/5
It's pretty expected that this would get a perfect score. The feel of hitting anything in a fight glove is significantly better than your typical training glove. I can pretty much feel everything, and with proper wrapping there is no discomfort. Due to this glove being a "punchers" style of glove, this score can vary as I can picture people with knuckle problems having some trouble.

Knuckle Protection: 3/5
Once again, it is technically a fight glove, so you will be feeling a lot more than training gloves. However, I did try to base this score in comparison to other fight gloves. I would say that the protection for the knuckles is quite moderate, as it doesn't protect quite as much as an Everlast Protex 3 fight glove (or I assume a Grant orthopedic foam/Winning fight glove), but I feel that it does protect more than a Reyes fight glove, and DEFINITELY more than an Everlast MX (both of which I own).

20151204_170607.jpg

20151204_170607.jpg

Wrist Protection: 5/5
Yep... you read that correctly. This is the first time I've tried Rivals velcro "V" strap, and I gotta say that it's literally some of the best protection I've felt outside of a lace-up and a Hayabusa Tokushu (when I review those gloves, I will be giving them a 5+/5 for wrist protection). When done up properly, I can barely bend my wrist back, and the unique velcro system can almost provide a custom feel. I have skinny ass wrists, and these are one of the few pairs of velcro gloves that I can actually properly strap around my wrist. In the picture below, I am literally trying my hardest to bend my hand backwards.

20151204_184156.jpg

Value: TBA
I can't put an exact score on the value yet, simply because I have yet to truly test the durability of them. However, if the durability is great, I will gladly give these a close to perfect (or even perfect) score. BTW, the gloves came in a cool little glove bag. The bag feels quite cheap, but still a good gesture nonetheless.

20151204_173739.jpg

Overall: TBA
Once again, these haven't been fully tested. I will update once I put in more work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, I've been really interested in the "V" strap and it's good to know its quite effective.

P.S. Floyd actually trains in Winnings as well as Grants and he also use to fight exclusively in Winnings. I think you're right in that Floyd is endorsed by Grant (despite what Elvis Grant says) and as a result in his more recent fights he has fought solely in Grant gloves.

Thanks for the review, I've been really interested in the "V" strap and it's good to know its quite effective.

P.S. Floyd actually trains in Winnings as well as Grants and he also use to fight exclusively in Winnings. I think you're right in that Floyd is endorsed by Grant (despite what Elvis Grant says) and as a result in his more recent fights he has fought solely in Grant gloves.

Yeah no worries. Yes Floyd does train in Winning gloves majority of the time. But I was mainly referring to 10oz gloves. I dont think I've ever seen Floyd train in 10oz Winning's before (seems like it's either 12 or 14...probably 16 when he's sparring). Seems like all the Grant gloves he trains in though are 10oz's. Probably trying to get used to the feel of what he is going to fight in.

Nice review bud. I think Rival had a genius idea to do a velcro fight glove. If I am not mistaken, the padding is horse hair on these ?

Nice review bud. I think Rival had a genius idea to do a velcro fight glove. If I am not mistaken, the padding is horse hair on these ?

I do believe they are horsehair. But it is a bit hard to tell since the padding isn't as malleable as a Reyes and Everlast Mx. One thing that Rival doesn't tell you, is that they actually make two fight gloves. If you see one that says "LDE" on the cuff, it is the horsehair punchers glove. If you see one that says "HDE", it is a grant style foam glove. I personally emailed Rival about this one time. I think I will make a new thread in the gear and equipment discussion, because I think it is important that people know.

The glove does feel close to the LDE version though. I have a pair in lace up and it feels very similar.

Will they ship these to the us? I only see them on the Canada site

Will they ship these to the us? I only see them on the Canada site

You might want to email them or msg them on instagram. I do believe they posted a picture on instagram saying that they are for sale. Strange how it is not on the US website.

Any updates on these gloves? I was torn between getting these and the d30 gloves but I went with the velcro guerreros because I liked the color better, just waiting for them to come in now lol

3pac stay away from d30. You might have missed it in past threads but d30 doesnt last.

3pac stay away from d30. You might have missed it in past threads but d30 doesnt last.
Interesting. Went with the velcro guerreros anyways, should be here in a couple days. My main concern is how long these gloves will last on the bags, given that they are a pro fight glove in design.

Interesting. Went with the velcro guerreros anyways, should be here in a couple days. My main concern is how long these gloves will last on the bags, given that they are a pro fight glove in design.

Hey sorry it has been a while since I have checked these forums. I have been using these for the double end bag, as well as an aqua heavy bag almost everyday. They are holding up great so far. However, I cannot comment on using these on a traditional heavy bag. The one time I used them on a traditional heavy bag, there was definitely some knuckle pain. So wrap up well if that is what you intend on using them for.

Hey sorry it has been a while since I have checked these forums. I have been using these for the double end bag, as well as an aqua heavy bag almost everyday. They are holding up great so far. However, I cannot comment on using these on a traditional heavy bag. The one time I used them on a traditional heavy bag, there was definitely some knuckle pain. So wrap up well if that is what you intend on using them for.

How many rounds have you put in with these?

I reviewed the pure fight gloves in the past back in 12 or 13. So im going off memory here, but they are a quilted foam/horsehair design so they will indeed last longer than the normal fight glove life. But Im not sure there is a hard number here. Using them on the heavy bag will indeed shorten the life span of them, especially if its a rockhard heavy bag. But with the double end or even mitts, they should last a very long time.

How many rounds have you put in with these?

I cannot put an exact number on the amount of rounds I have put on them, but I would say I am probably either approaching or slightly over 100 rounds so far. They are holding up great atm.

I reviewed the pure fight gloves in the past back in 12 or 13. So im going off memory here, but they are a quilted foam/horsehair design so they will indeed last longer than the normal fight glove life. But Im not sure there is a hard number here. Using them on the heavy bag will indeed shorten the life span of them, especially if its a rockhard heavy bag. But with the double end or even mitts, they should last a very long time.

Yes I believe you are correct with the construction. I predict that the wear and tear on them would probably be a lot higher using them on a traditional heavy bag, but since I am using an aqua punching bag, I think the lifespan will be much longer (it is a great investment if you want to save on gloves).

Thinking of getting these things soon now. Love the look, dont know what ill be doing with 10oz gloves though

double end bag and mitts? i use mine fore speed bag too sometimes
Double end bag for sure good thinking and yeah mitts but i just dont think its worth it for just those you know? I guess im being stupid haha but man $150 for mitts is a lot. The look of these things is amazing though

Double end bag for sure good thinking and yeah mitts but i just dont think its worth it for just those you know? I guess im being stupid haha but man $150 for mitts is a lot. The look of these things is amazing though

Yes they are great for double end bag. Also, one of the reasons why I got these was to also use them for technical heavy bag work (on an aqua bag, specifically). I find that using heavier gloves on a heavy bag can give you a great work out, but imo I sometimes forget about technique as I get more tired. I noticed a lot of pros happen to use 10oz Winning gloves to hit the heavy bag, but I didn't want to spend that much and also have the hassle of laces. So for me, these gloves were the perfect compromise.

Also, I probably sound like a broken record, but if you feel like 150 is a lot because they won't be as durable as other gloves, I highly suggest investing in an aqua punching bag. Yes it feels great to hit, but I feel like it is also a great money saver due to my gloves not taking as much of a beating in comparison to a harder, traditional bag. When I go to the gym, I use my older and heavier gloves due to the bags being in pretty terrible condition, but if I box at home then I use my nice gloves on the aqua bag.

Yes they are great for double end bag. Also, one of the reasons why I got these was to also use them for technical heavy bag work (on an aqua bag, specifically). I find that using heavier gloves on a heavy bag can give you a great work out, but imo I sometimes forget about technique as I get more tired. I noticed a lot of pros happen to use 10oz Winning gloves to hit the heavy bag, but I didn't want to spend that much and also have the hassle of laces. So for me, these gloves were the perfect compromise.

Also, I probably sound like a broken record, but if you feel like 150 is a lot because they won't be as durable as other gloves, I highly suggest investing in an aqua punching bag. Yes it feels great to hit, but I feel like it is also a great money saver due to my gloves not taking as much of a beating in comparison to a harder, traditional bag. When I go to the gym, I use my older and heavier gloves due to the bags being in pretty terrible condition, but if I box at home then I use my nice gloves on the aqua bag.
I have an aqua bag man.

Im the opposite though, heavier gloves make me feel more technical because its like i focus on it more. For bag work and stuff i try using 16oz+. Part of the reason why i like my Powerlocks is because they're 20oz.

Ill probably end of getting these things but i can't really justify them for now i guess. They look amazing though, like the look has sold me on them i WILL get them haha thats for sure. But i can definitely wait for now

Back