Rival 10oz RFX-Velcro Guerrero Fight Gloves (Mini/initial Review)

Double end bag for sure good thinking and yeah mitts but i just dont think its worth it for just those you know? I guess im being stupid haha but man $150 for mitts is a lot. The look of these things is amazing though

Agree brother. These look great and the idea is cool, but I'm going with lace up Death Star for 10 ounce. It's just that i know the T*U Death Stars will perform and hold up great, maybe try the Rivals eventually.

Also, I probably sound like a broken record, but if you feel like 150 is a lot because they won't be as durable as other gloves, I highly suggest investing in an aqua punching bag. Yes it feels great to hit, but I feel like it is also a great money saver due to my gloves not taking as much of a beating in comparison to a harder, traditional bag. When I go to the gym, I use my older and heavier gloves due to the bags being in pretty terrible condition, but if I box at home then I use my nice gloves on the aqua bag.

This is a good point. Also, the Aqua bags are great if you're nursing an injury.

I do believe they are horsehair. But it is a bit hard to tell since the padding isn't as malleable as a Reyes and Everlast Mx. One thing that Rival doesn't tell you, is that they actually make two fight gloves. If you see one that says "LDE" on the cuff, it is the horsehair punchers glove. If you see one that says "HDE", it is a grant style foam glove. I personally emailed Rival about this one time. I think I will make a new thread in the gear and equipment discussion, because I think it is important that people know.

The glove does feel close to the LDE version though. I have a pair in lace up and it feels very similar.

Rival told me that the Velcro version is only available in the hard foam type (HDE?).

And they also said that both the Soft and Hard types protect equally.

I was under the impression that the HDE would protect better.

How have they held up? Is the padding still good?

I have been considering getting these... and if the knuckle protection isn't to my likings (I use the Winning pro fight gloves alot for bagwork)... I may use the Winning NG2 knuckle guards with them.

Even if they're protective enough, over time when the padding breaks down, I figure I would use the NG2s with them at that point.

Also, Rival has a sparring version of the Guererro in production. Interesting.

Rival told me that the Velcro version is only available in the hard foam type (HDE?).

And they also said that both the Soft and Hard types protect equally.

I was under the impression that the HDE would protect better.

How have they held up? Is the padding still good?

I have been considering getting these... and if the knuckle protection isn't to my likings (I use the Winning pro fight gloves alot for bagwork)... I may use the Winning NG2 knuckle guards with them.

Even if they're protective enough, over time when the padding breaks down, I figure I would use the NG2s with them at that point.

Also, Rival has a sparring version of the Guererro in production. Interesting.
+1 on this whole post.

So I guess I'm not the only one looking at this as a possible Black Friday/next sale thing, right?

Knuckle Protection: 3/5
Once again, it is technically a fight glove, so you will be feeling a lot more than training gloves. However, I did try to base this score in comparison to other fight gloves. I would say that the protection for the knuckles is quite moderate, as it doesn't protect quite as much as an Everlast Protex 3 fight glove (or I assume a Grant orthopedic foam/Winning fight glove), but I feel that it does protect more than a Reyes fight glove, and DEFINITELY more than an Everlast MX (both of which I own).

2 quick questions I hope proves to provide further insight to this thread.

1) It was assumed by the initial reviewer that the Rival RFX (assuming it's the HDE version, and correct me if I'm wrong in saying this) was not as protective as either Orthopedic Grants, Winning, or Everlast PROTEX 3 pro fight gloves. Can anyone confirm that this is true regarding the Everlast PROTEX 3?

Also,

2) Assuming this is the HDE-L version as sold on RIVAL's Canadian website, can anyone share his/her experience on the protection provided on the SL-L version of Rival's RFX Guerrero pro fight glove (also sold with the "V-strap" velcro closure)? Overhearing Russ Anber make the comment in an interview that the HDE version is more protective, I was curious to learn if adding the "horsehair" padding over the laminated foam actually provides more impact absorption (perhaps with less feedback than the firmer HDE version) when hitting the bags, mitts, etc.

Eager to hear anyone's thoughts on this, thank you in advance for your contribution to my inquiry.

Re. 2) above, I should have written HDE-F and SF-F (instead of HDE-L and SF-L...

Not related at all to your post, but do you have a special affinity for Joseph Caryl?
Nothing extraordinary, aside from a partial reading of his voluminous exposition on the book of Job, of which I enjoyed quite a number of years ago.

Nothing extraordinary, aside from a partial reading of his voluminous exposition on the book of Job, of which I enjoyed quite a number of years ago.
Are you a fan of John Owen?

Are you a fan of John Owen?
Out of all due respect to this forum and its readers, I'd suggest we best keep to the subject matter at hand (namely, Rival RFX bag gloves, or of things related thereunto).

But to answer your question directly— I love to spend my free hours with John Owen, John Bunyan and many of their contemporaries (and furthermore—their heirs and successors). Some of the richest hours of fellowship I've had "under the sun" have been with these "Giants," among whom JI Packer states that many of us in our day stand as "mere pigmies."
;-)

Last edited:
Out of due respect to this forum and its readers, I'd suggest we stick to the subject matter at hand (namely, Rival RFX bag gloves, or things related hereunto).

But to answer your question directly— I love to spend my free hours with John Owen, John Bunyan and many of their contemporaries (and furthermore—their heirs and successors). Some of the richest hours of fellowship I've had "under the sun" have been with these "Giants," among whom JI Packer states that many of us in our day stand as mere pigmies. ;-)
Pretty good. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Back