RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 BW & Women's SAW Semifinal & Final ROUND - December 31 - Thread

A bit disappointed w edidn’t see something like this for the NYE celebration, otherwise a great event.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

What’s her name and anyone still know why she did it?

Hendo’s expression is gold. "Wait what... oh.. yeah! Damn didn’t I miss Japan!"

Check out Gabi’s emotionless golem stare from the back row.

Fuck! That moment with Kanna and her dad.

Too many feels.

feels.gif

What a great event. It was fun to relive it on this thread.

I just can't stay up that late anymore. Thanks, guys!

For anyone curious, this was Ian McCall's entrance song:

I thought it was great.

Praise For Shintaro Ishiwatari

I feel like sometimes the losers of these tournaments don't get the props they also deserve.

We praise fighters for taking two fights within a month,

Well Shintaro Ishiwatari just KO'd a tough fighter in Kevin Petshi on friday.

giphy.gif

Then two days later he came right back into the ring and went to war with a game Takafumi Otsuka - beating him as well.

giphy.gif

On top of that he stepped into the ring AGAIN, just 5 hours later, to fight probably the best Japanese fighter in the world, and fought like hell, not asking for an out when he could have.

giphy.gif

Ishiwatari may have come up short against Horiguchi, but still damn, that's a hell of a weekend and he deserves recognition for it.
He also just fought in October, so that was actually his 4th fight in 2.5 months.
And another FYI: Horiguchi remains the only unavenged loss on his resume in the last 7 years.

Poor Ishiwatari. His 1st fight with and close loss Kyoji IIRC was for a UFC spot. Losing for a 2nd time with the stakes being high again must be crushing for the guy, esp since he's been largely undefeated (exc to Jon Brookins) since the 1st fight.

Poor Ishiwatari. His 1st fight with and close loss Kyoji IIRC was for a UFC spot. Losing for a 2nd time with the stakes being high again must be crushing for the guy, esp since he's been largely undefeated (exc to Jon Brookins) since the 1st fight.

Worth noting that Ishiwatari also beat Brookins in their rematch, so Horiguchi has really been the only sour spot on his resume for years.

It probably was heartbreaking, but nonetheless I wanted to be positive and give him his due. Ishiwatari proved that he's currently one of the best Japanese fighters around, and I admired his determination to not give up in the first round vs. Horiguchi, especially after he had just been through two fights prior.

Definitely a solid fighter.

Seen him live twice - latest at the Fukuoka Rizin event and when he fought Caol Uno in Shooto - and surprised the UFC didn't pick him together with Kyoji.

Definitely a solid fighter.

Seen him live twice - latest at the Fukuoka Rizin event and when he fought Caol Uno in Shooto - and surprised the UFC didn't pick him together with Kyoji.
You were in Japan this weekend? That's awesome. Ishiwatari definitely had a great KO that night.

You were in Japan this weekend? That's awesome. Ishiwatari definitely had a great KO that night.

Nope! Wish I had been given how the 31/12 card turned out and I'm a huge Tenshin fan (he's also by far Rizin's most popular fighter among the locals). Been a huge JMA fan for about a decade now but only started making enough coin to fly over to Tokyo fairly frequently.

I actually felt Ishiwatari lost the last fight with that Russian dude but he brought the house (Korakuen Hall) down with Uno. May also find interesting that the live Fukuoka audience were surprised that Andy Souwer didn't get the dec over Wicky.

Nope! Wish I had been given how the 31/12 card turned out and I'm a huge Tenshin fan (he's also by far Rizin's most popular fighter among the locals). Been a huge JMA fan for about a decade now but only started making enough coin to fly over to Tokyo fairly frequently.

I actually felt Ishiwatari lost the last fight with that Russian dude but he brought the house (Korakuen Hall) down with Uno. May also find interesting that the live Fukuoka audience were surprised that Andy Souwer didn't get the dec over Wicky.
Oh so you saw him fight Akhmed Musakaev? Still very cool. I've road tripped to a few UFC shows but Japan would be a whole other experience.

Back