RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 Women's Super Atomweight Tournament 1st ROUND - Thread

E

Edwin

DHe_c7iUwAAP1GY.jpg

Event: RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 Bantamweight Tournament & Women's Super Atomweight Tournament 1st ROUND - Aki no Jin -
Date: October 15, 2017
Time: 1:00 AM EST
Venue: Marine Messe Fukuoka
Stream: FITE ($19.99)

RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP 1st Round ~ 3 Rounds x 5 Minutes:
RENA (4-0) vs. Andy Nguyen (5-3)

57.0 kg ~ 3 rounds x 5 minutes:
Tenshin Nasukawa (3-0) vs. Yamato Fujita (0-0)

INTERMISSION

84.0 kg - RIZIN Grappling Rules:
Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Frank Shamrock

70.0 kg ~ 1 Round x 10 Minutes + 1 Round x 5 Minutes:
Akiyo "Wicky" Nishiura (13-8-1) vs. Andy Souwer (2-2)

75.0 kg ~ 3 rounds x 5 minutes:
KING Reina (6-0) vs. Crystal Stokes (0-0)

INTERMISSION

63.0 kg ~ 3 rounds x 5 minutes:
Tatsuya Kawajiri (36-11-2) vs. Gabriel Oliveira (9-0)

RIZIN 61.0 kg GP 1st Round ~ 3 Rounds x 5 Minutes:
Shintaro Ishiwatari (22-6-4) vs. Akhmed Musakaev (5-0)

Jae Hoon Moon (10-9) vs. Kevin Petshi (12-3)

Manel Kape (6-1) vs. Erson Yamamoto (2-2)

INTERMISSION

120.0 kg ~ 3 rounds x 5 minutes:
Jérôme Le Banner (3-2-1) vs. Roque Martinez (10-3-2)

Alyssa Garcia (3-3) vs. Maria Oliveira (9-2)

Kanna Asakura (8-2) vs. Sylwia Juśkiewicz (6-4)

Irene Rivera (6-4) vs. Miyuu Yamamoto (1-3)

51.0 kg - Kickboxing Rules ~ 3 rounds x 3 minutes:
Issei Ishii vs. Jin Mandokoro

62.0 kg - Kickboxing Rules ~ 3 rounds x 3 minutes:
Yuki vs. Darvish Kurogi

58.5 kg - Kickboxing Rules ~ 3 rounds x 3 minutes:
Yoshihisa "Kyoken" Morimoto vs. RYOTA RENSEIGYM​

Last edited by a moderator:
90 k on top of purse for 1st Prize is great money for Atomweights. I think I remember hearing 3rd place bonus was 10k. Hamasaki was making 6k/6k as Invicta AW Champ.

Pancrase BW King of Pancrase Ishiwatari vs TBA is announced for the tournament.

Miyuu Yamamoto is fighting somebody, maybe in the AW Tournament. That is something I don't like.

Miyuu Yamamoto is fighting somebody, maybe in the AW Tournament. That is something I don't like.
She won the qualifier to get in and was confirmed by the latest press release
4ANAFnR.png
V4Cm87B.png

I'm usually not one to get into endless speculation about possible entrants, as I prefer to talk about actual scheduled fights, but as this is a small tournament, I'm trying to come up with a list of possible entrants.

RENA (already confirmed)
Andy Nguyen (already confirmed)
Winner of Ishioka vs. Asakura (winner confirmed entry)
Combate Americas rep (likel Kyra Batara, but would like to see Paulina Granados)
Alyssa Garcia (beat Asakura at NY show)
Shino VanHoose (has the kind of record they would use to build up another fighter, currently scheduled for Invicta in a few weeks)
Satomi Takano (Can't have just two Japanese entrants)
Possibility: Road FC representative (No way it'd be Ham, as Road wouldn't want to lend out their new champ, and Rizin wouldn't want to bring someone not named RENA who could be seen as a huge favorite. At the same time, I have a hard time seeing them lend out Ye Ji Lee, and Jeong Eun Park is fighting in September, so I'm leaving this as a possibility)
JuJu

The fighters will also get some local PR such as variety shows etc... helps with their sponsorship income.

Women's wrestling well publicized in Japan due to Olympic success. Fun fact Miyu's sister helped train, not sure how much PR vs substance, Helen Maroulis who defeated the almost invincible Yoshida.

Don't think Miyu will win the tourney but her family a known fighting name so good for promotion.

I would like to see Melissa Wang (AKA) or Grace Cleveland (3-0) vs Miyuu Yamamoto. Those two are inexperienced, but young.

If 3rd place wins $10,000 usd. Then what's a regular fight purse earned from a female rizin fighter? Like 2k-2k or some shit?

If 3rd place wins $10,000 usd. Then what's a regular fight purse earned from a female rizin fighter? Like 2k-2k or some shit?
Invicta Atomweight Champion Hamasaki was getting 6k+6k as champion. She had at least 5 fights there before vacating the belt. The atomweight market isn't that big.

Last edited:
The fighters will also get some local PR such as variety shows etc... helps with their sponsorship income.
Nice for the Japanese fighters. Can't imagine sponso money being much for non Japanese fighters.

Nice for the Japanese fighters. Can't imagine sponso money being much for non Japanese fighters.
Mostly a modest boost for Japanese fighters though Bob Sapp did very well possibly the biggest in MMA sponsorship from his Japan stardom.

Sponsorship important to help the fighters and promotions survive. Foreign fighters of course normally at a disadvantage due to less marketable. Interesting that RIZEN got Kron. Guess he was new to MMA so easier to test capabilities. After beating Kawajiri , think Kron can compete anywhere. Whether he could be Champ or another Maia-who as a #1 contender still very respectable. Can still make a lot of money as a high tier fighter. Bisping did then finally got a belt.

RIZIN has dropped the ball with not bringing Krazy Horse back and possibly setting up an open weight fight with Wanderlei up after their interaction on NYE after Krazy Horse KO'd Kimura.

RIZIN has dropped the ball with not bringing Krazy Horse back and possibly setting up an open weight fight with Wanderlei up after their interaction on NYE after Krazy Horse KO'd Kimura.
They tried but Krazy Horse can't get into Japan now

This Atomweight tournament is Ayaka Hamasaki or bust for me.

I fucked my sleeping schedule for the Openweight tourney last year. Not doing it this year, even for RENA. And I'm certainly not doing it for the Kyoji Horiguchi tournament. Needs more Joe Warren.

This Atomweight tournament is Ayaka Hamasaki or bust for me.

I fucked my sleeping schedule for the Openweight tourney last year. Not doing it this year, even for RENA. And I'm certainly not doing it for the Kyoji Horiguchi tournament. Needs more Joe Warren.
Highly unlikely Hamasaki is in it as she is a regular training partner and coach of RENA and she recently vacated her Invicta championship because she wants to stay at Strawweight to pursue the UFC (even though it will probably never happen with Sean Shelby).

The Bantamweight tournament still hasn't even had half of the participants announced yet, I would think Warren is definitely a possibility as a Bellator rep.

What changed exactly from his last fight in RIZIN?
I think he might have gotten arrested again but I don't remember for sure. It's more of a question of how did he get into Japan for all of these years with a rap sheet as long and bad as his.

I think he might have gotten arrested again but I don't remember for sure. It's more of a question of how did he get into Japan for all of these years with a rap sheet as long and bad as his.

I swear I saw him fighting in a Shootboxing ring fairly recently. Strange.

I'm usually not one to get into endless speculation about possible entrants, as I prefer to talk about actual scheduled fights, but as this is a small tournament, I'm trying to come up with a list of possible entrants.

RENA (already confirmed)
Andy Nguyen (already confirmed)
Winner of Ishioka vs. Asakura (winner confirmed entry)
Combate Americas rep (likel Kyra Batara, but would like to see Paulina Granados)
Alyssa Garcia (beat Asakura at NY show)
Shino VanHoose (has the kind of record they would use to build up another fighter, currently scheduled for Invicta in a few weeks)
Satomi Takano (Can't have just two Japanese entrants)
Possibility: Road FC representative (No way it'd be Ham, as Road wouldn't want to lend out their new champ, and Rizin wouldn't want to bring someone not named RENA who could be seen as a huge favorite. At the same time, I have a hard time seeing them lend out Ye Ji Lee, and Jeong Eun Park is fighting in September, so I'm leaving this as a possibility)
JuJu
I'm gonna go fly over to fukuoka for this cos ill be in tokyo that week.

Are tix available already? Doesnt seem to be any on stubhub

I just saw on Instagram a new commercial, they added:

Shinju Nozawa-Auclair 1-0

Erson Yamamoto 2-2

Tatsuya Kawajiri 36-11-2

Hendo still active?.......Hmmmm Interesting.

So much talk of H-Bombs lately. Coincidence? I think not!

Back