Rizin's Mayweather Gambit May be a Bad Sign

You misunderstood the context. They have the star, now. The Floyd thing has brought alien eyes and heaps of praise to Tenshin, and if you need proof of this, bc you seem to feel the need to disprove everything, go to YouTube and browse the videos of boxing/Floyd fans coverage of the news from last weekend. There are thousands, possibly millions, of videos going around as we speak about the news, and these vids by people unfamiliar with Tenshin are showing his highlights, and are letting people know that Tenshin is a monster fighter. This news was also covered by literally every news media source in the world. Conor, with his large group of followers, also tried to make Tenshin look silly, and Tenshin ended up doing it to Conor, but the important detail is that Conor was talking about him, and now more people know who is Tenshin. If you don't think he is now an international star, it's kinda delusional, bud.
You’re right, I must have misunderstood the context. Because Rizin does not have a true star. Still don’t. Floyd having what will likely be a one off exhibition doesn’t guarantee Rizin will actually earn new fans once this debacle is over and done with.

By the way, contrary to what you assert, I don’t try to disprove everything. Nothing I said can’t be backed up by the numbers. If people remain skeptical of the long term viability of Rizin, their skepticism is backed up by failed promotions of the past, ratings, cultural awareness, and a long memory.

You’re right, I must have misunderstood the context. Because Rizin does not have a true star. Still don’t. Floyd having what will likely be a one off exhibition doesn’t guarantee Rizin will actually earn new fans once this debacle is over and done with.

By the way, contrary to what you assert, I don’t try to disprove everything. Nothing I said can’t be backed up by the numbers. If people remain skeptical of the long term viability of Rizin, their skepticism is backed up by failed promotions of the past, ratings, cultural awareness, and a long memory.
Turns out all this arguing may have been for naught. According to Floyd, he was mislead, and Rizin pulled what those who have actually paid attention to “big time jmma” would refer to as “typical yakuza scumbag behavior,”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/11...own-misleading-news-of-tenshin-nasukawa-fight

Turns out all this arguing may have been for naught. According to Floyd, he was mislead, and Rizin pulled what those who have actually paid attention to “big time jmma” would refer to as “typical yakuza scumbag behavior,”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/11...own-misleading-news-of-tenshin-nasukawa-fight

My thing is, if this was supposedly an exhibition fight for a small private audience as Floyd states, why did he do a press conference for it and why was he posting about it on instagram for the world to see?

My thing is, if this was supposedly an exhibition fight for a small private audience as Floyd states, why did he do a press conference for it and why was he posting about it on instagram for the world to see?
Floyd likes to talk and show off. Is it really so hard to believe Scumbag Yakuza flunky Sakakibara would try to pull this kind of thing?

leto 1776, Tenshin is a draw and the biggest combat sports star in Japan right now. 3 of his Rizin fights peaked at over 10 million viewers on Fuji TV. Tenshin vs Horiguchi drew over 27,000 in attendance with ticket prices at 6000, 10000, 20000 and 100000 yen. That makes live gate in the $3-5 million range, depending on the average ticket price. ROAD FC would need about 10 shows to draw such an attendance and over 20 show for such of live gate. Enjoy the next ROAD FC card that takes place in a hotel lobby and if you don't like Rizin, just don't watch it.

leto 1776, Tenshin is a draw and the biggest combat sports star in Japan right now. 3 of his Rizin fights peaked at over 10 million viewers on Fuji TV. Tenshin vs Horiguchi drew over 27,000 in attendance with ticket prices at 6000, 10000, 20000 and 100000 yen. That makes live gate in the $3-5 million range, depending on the average ticket price. ROAD FC would need about 10 shows to draw such an attendance and over 20 show for such of live gate. Enjoy the next ROAD FC card that takes place in a hotel lobby and if you don't like Rizin, just don't watch it.
I’ll still be watching Road FC when Rizin is just another memory of a failed JMMA org, which, if they don’t bring their ratings up and lose their tv deal, is what they’ll become. Peak numbers don’t mean much. Advertisers want average ratings.

By the way, insulting another organization does nothing to make Rizin look good, it just makes you look petty and childish, especially considering Road has held sold out shows in both Cadillac Arena and Hebei Gymnasium

I’ll still be watching Road FC when Rizin is just another memory of a failed JMMA org, which, if they don’t bring their ratings up and lose their tv deal, is what they’ll become. Peak numbers don’t mean much. Advertisers want average ratings.

By the way, insulting another organization does nothing to make Rizin look good, it just makes you look petty and childish, especially considering Road has held sold out shows in both Cadillac Arena and Hebei Gymnasium
Why are you such a Road mark
They're still booking Fujita
Not even RIZIN are booking Fujita anymore

Yeah, not everything he said makes sense. He is definitely trying to save face. He may have been misled a bit, that seems to be a thing with Japan, but he definitely knew that this wasn't going to be something that wasn't televised. He wouldn't have been taking photos in RIZIN gloves if that were the case.

Yeah, not everything he said makes sense. He is definitely trying to save face. He may have been misled a bit, that seems to be a thing with Japan, but he definitely knew that this wasn't going to be something that wasn't televised. He wouldn't have been taking photos in RIZIN gloves if that were the case.
This is my thought. I think Rizin tried to whirlwind him into a match, and Floyd likes control. So I think he knew it was going to be broadcast for sure (he 100% wouldn't post that pic with Rizin gloves on if not) but he didn't like that he CLEARLY didn't have control of what was happening and backed out. I don't really blame him. Japan is difficult.

Maybe things worked out for the best, Tenshin and Rizin get some free recognition and they save money on not paying Mayweather.

Maybe things worked out for the best, Tenshin and Rizin get some free recognition and they save money on not paying Mayweather.

This. Tenshin finally got free press he needed to step closer to become a star. Rizin could not also cut a promo claiming that Floyd ooenly ducks Tenshin.

I don't think he was misled at all. I think they paid him to do the press conference and pretend that he was gonna take this fight. They paid him whatever they did to literally just attach their name to his for a day or 2 and get some publicity. It's the only scenario that makes sense here. From Floyd's perspective a stunt like this is no different than getting paid to go hang out with Kadryov.

I'm more interested in what they were going to pay him with. If they really have that much financial reserves, perhaps they can last a bit longer

I'm more interested in what they were going to pay him with. If they really have that much financial reserves, perhaps they can last a bit longer
They weren't. They were going to leverage something.

I don't think he was misled at all. I think they paid him to do the press conference and pretend that he was gonna take this fight. They paid him whatever they did to literally just attach their name to his for a day or 2 and get some publicity. It's the only scenario that makes sense here. From Floyd's perspective a stunt like this is no different than getting paid to go hang out with Kadryov.

I really hope so, it was such a let down to read the news that Mayweather-Tenshin isn't happening.

While it's possible, you're looking for far too much reasonable sense in the combat-sports world. The bottom line is that ridiculous stuff like this happens ALL the time in the sport's various entities but there usually isn't such a direct lens on it.

Back