Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin

I would say its wasn't "acceptable" but it wasn't as unacceptable as it would be today and by all accounts it was rather common for girls under 16 to be groupies back then.

I mean Jerry Lee Lewis married his 12 year old cousin just over a decade before that.

I was under the impression the JLL incident was a massive scandal in itself? (Again if it were a less talented artist, would he have been blacklisted permanently?).

Saw him a while back, and think he only played "Whole Lotta Love".

He played 5 Zeppelin songs at the show I went to. Plant based a lot of his song writing on American Blues musicians. The rest of the band members could be his grandchildren. His band is called "Sensational Space Shifters".

saw zep many times in the early days.
lately, I like his collaboration with alison kraus.

so pure IMO

I think you really see the difference in that Page was heavily involved in the music biz pre Zep as a session player and in the Yardbirds plus was until near to the end generally viewed as the bands creator/leader. When Zep ended he never really had the same drive to prove himself as Plant did which probably also explains why the latter was less keen on Zep reunions.

I was under the impression the JLL incident was a massive scandal in itself? (Again if it were a less talented artist, would he have been blacklisted permanently?).

Yeah it definitely hurt his career(partly I'd guess because rock was more dependant on TV at that point) but it wasn't actually illegal as far as I'm aware, I just tend to think that age of consent is something where social views tend to shift a lot over time compared to actual rape. You look back to that era and there were actually a lot of references to "schoolgirls" in songs(to the degree Spinal Tap took the piss out of it) that seem very dodgy now so I don't think it was purely that people were unaware of it.

Saw zep many times in the early days. Lately, I like his collaboration with Alison Kraus.

You were one of the lucky ones. The song above with Kraus sounds more like country music.

Last edited:
If there’s a bluray of “How the West Was Won” and you’re a fan, it’s essential viewing.

You were one of the lucky ones. The song above with Kraus sounds more like country music.

well, yea it is. plant has said he's always been fascinated and drawn to american country music. I think their voices compliment each other well.

I do tend to think though that whilst yes it would be nice to see them play again it wouldn't be the same as those early shows. You listen to the Albert Hall reunion and its a nice enough tight performance but it doesn't have the crazy energy and improvisation of something like How The West Was Won or that Japanese show I posted.

I think it tends to be forgotten a bit now but really Zep becoming superstars in the US was as much down to the concerts as anything in the 68-73 era were they were touring almost constantly.

Bonam (sp?) Died after taking over 80 shots throughout a day and performed flawlessly before his demise from alcohol poisoning.

Rockstar shit

I love this band. I love it all, this shit will never get old. Timeless amazing music.

I wish there was a single artist or band that made me feel even a fraction of love this band brings to my life.

I served Plant a muffin and coffee once. I think he could tell i knew who he was and respected the fact i didn't make a scene (this was in Austin's international airport)

Amazing band.

Love Bonham...

tumblr_p687u923qM1woefeso1_250.gif

The band only ended because the drummer died in 1980. Page and Jones would like to form the band back up, but Plant does not. Christ, a £500 million offer to reform. Anyway, 12 glorious years from 1968 to 1980.

It should be left alone too. Their work is flawless all the way thru (yeah yeah I know about the ripped off rifs too but whatever)

They’re the GOAT rock band. Beatles are up there too but I’m not a huge fan of everything they did. I dig everything LZ did.

How do we feel about Jimmy Page fucking underage groupies?

Yes, it was a different time, and yes he was far from the only one, but still..........kidnapping a 14 year old and effectively using her as a sex slave is never a good look.
Ginger Baker was accused of that due to the Blind Faith album cover

GOAT band. Don't care where they got their inspiration. They were the kings.

You got to see him live? I'm envious he's a legendary vocalist. Good to see he is still holding up and not washed up like guys like Meatloaf.

Big Log is a great track post Zep. Guy could always rip it up.

Anyone listen to Dream Theater’s covers of Zeppelin songs in their Change of Seasons album ? Some might be on par with the originals IMO

Back