Robert Whittaker has qualified for the 2018 Commonwealth games Australian wreslting team

Says a lot about the state of Aussie wrestling

He could be a weak conventional wrestler for all I know but his MMA wrestling is elite. He's like a mini Liddell that sprawls the crap out of all takedown attempts and then throws HEAVY leather. It's a joy to watch. War Bobby Knuckles!

He could be a weak conventional wrestler for all I know but his MMA wrestling is elite. He's like a mini Liddell that sprawls the crap out of all takedown attempts and then throws HEAVY leather. It's a joy to watch. War Bobby Knuckles!

I don’t even know what those two dudes problems are Rofl.

They would be the same people who would be giving shit to the Jamacin bobsled team.

Just angry sad pathetic haters who think they are witty or clever.

Type of turd covered dicks I would tell to go pound sand if I ever met them face to face lol

Outwrestled Yoel and Jacare.

What's the issue?

Don’t be a moron. It’s already been discussed at nauseating length, the difference between amateur wrestling and mma wrestling.

This happened awhile ago I think though (him making the team)

Nah, you're thinking of him winning gold at the nationals, which obviously was a strong indicator he would likely qualify if he wanted to. The confirmation of his qualification appears recent though, based on the social media post.

In the 2015, 2016 and 2017 World Championships and Olympics, the only two commonwealth countries to medal were Cananda and India with 7 medals (1 gold, 6 bronze) total. Six of these were won in women's division which, while growing, always have less participation than the men's divisions.

Just to give an idea of how the commonwealth matches up to the rest of the world in wrestling.

Australia only has Wrestling to the Node thanks to our government.

Outwrestled Yoel
What's the issue?
Issue is that he didn't outwrestle Yoel.
Just defending doesn't get you to outwrestle someone.That's like saying Aldo outwrestled Edgar.I don't remember takedowns from him in that fight.

Issue is that he didn't outwrestle Yoel.
Just defending doesn't get you to outwrestle someone.That's like saying Aldo outwrestled Edgar.I don't remember takedowns from him in that fight.

You just told me that he completely negated an Olyympic steroid monster's wrestling, and that's a bad thing?

People gotta realize that stuffing a few takedowns in an MMA cage is not at all comparable to pure, high level competitive wrestling on a mat. Olympic wrestlers can struggle to apply even the basics in an MMA setting where they have to worry about being punched in the face; likewise guys who are only versed in defending basic single/double leg takedowns with a fence to their backs would be helpless against real world class wrestlers on a mat. Bobby Knuckles isn't ever going to be wrestling in the Olympics or anything comparable just because he stuffed a few of Romero/Jacare's takedowns in a UFC fight.

Still impressive for a guy who's background was originally in karate to be able to qualify for something like this regardless.

If he qualified for the commonwealth games wrestling team it means he would of also qualified for the olympic wrestling team as it is the same process. The commonwealth games is just a mini olympics, all countries put there best athletes in it. So if he decided too enter the olympic trials he would probably qualify for them also.

The stigma of a “violent sport” still sticks to wrestling over here so it is unlikely to gain any real traction in grass roots gov sponsered programs while the old fuddy duddy conservatives are still around (same cunts who refuse R-rated games from being released over here)

As a former coach I have campaigned hard for wrestling in the past to no avail. we have a incredible pool of genetic talent just waiting to be tapped MMA is delving into it slowly now and having Rob as champ and now part of the Commonwealth wrestling team will shine some light on the sport. Governments love success so even a decent showing at the games will go a long way.
This happened awhile ago I think though (him making the team)

Its bizzare to think that wrestling could be considered violent. Probably comes from the pro-wrestling side of things. I remembered the local PCYC I attended way back had martial arts programs incl boxing with participation from young teens, and no wrestling.

You just told me that he completely negated an Olyympic steroid monster's wrestling, and that's a bad thing?

Robert was "taken down" 4 times by Yoel. In amateur wrestling it doesn't matter if you only touch the mat for a millisecond the other guy still gets points. Considering Yoel had to worry about the all the other aspects of MMA and he still got 4 take downs i'm pretty sure he'd blow Whittaker out in a pure wrestling match. You can give up 5 points or get pinned if you give up a grand amplitude throw or expose your back for a second or two.

Now Whittaker is a good wrestler I'm sure he can do fine at the Commonwealth Games, but there are levels to this and offensive wrestling is harder than defense, and you don't get points for take down defense.

He defended Yoels take downs sure but GSPs takedowns are different than Yoels. NO i am not saying GSP is a better wrestler than Yoel alright relax... but for mma purposes GSPs timing and take downs are something whittaker hasnt delt with before. I really hope GSP decides to fight him i think its a very very interesting fight.
The striking opens up the td to buddy

Robert was "taken down" 4 times by Yoel. In amateur wrestling it doesn't matter if you only touch the mat for a millisecond the other guy still gets points. Considering Yoel had to worry about the all the other aspects of MMA and he still got 4 take downs i'm pretty sure he'd blow Whittaker out in a pure wrestling match. You can give up 5 points or get pinned if you give up a grand amplitude throw or expose your back for a second or two.

Now Whittaker is a good wrestler I'm sure he can do fine at the Commonwealth Games, but there are levels to this and offensive wrestling is harder than defense, and you don't get points for take down defense.

Hendo got taken down all the time, he didn't care. Works both ways.

Whittaker defended Romero's wrestling ffs. He's pretty good..

Outwrestled Yoel and Jacare.

What's the issue?
Lol he defended their takedowns likes a bar room brawler....bulldogging them face down while controlling their neck then rolling with them in circles til they ended up back on their feet

Granted it was effective as hell(ive never seen yoel or jacare so despondent at how sucessfull whittaker was with this style)

But its not the types of wrestling that gets a guy on any high level team or competition

He'd have rolled himself and yoel out of the circle in a real wrestling match

<36>

I don’t even know what those two dudes problems are Rofl.

They would be the same people who would be giving shit to the Jamacin bobsled team.

Just angry sad pathetic haters who think they are witty or clever.

Type of turd covered dicks I would tell to go pound sand if I ever met them face to face lol

This situation funnily enough draws parallels to GSP's career.

Karate guys who became quite good at wrestling that they brush with joining their national teams. Both were/are being ridiculed by wrestling heavy countries whose wrestlers can't seem to get the job done against them.<CerseiPlotting>

Wrestling in Canada is probably slightly higher than in Australia though, but not by much. Our country is more heavily vested in hockey...Heavily being an understatement.

Bobby Knuckles has grown on me, respectful and hard working. As a GSP fan I am worried for Georges in their fight, but I wouldn't be angry at all if Robert won.

Good guy to pass the torch to.

But its not the types of wrestling that gets a guy on any high level team or competition

He'd have rolled himself and yoel out of the circle in a real wrestling match

So he completely negates a top caliber wrestler and somehow in your mind, that's a dig at the guy.

Are you listening to yourself, you sound daft.

Who said its a bad thing?Do you even read bro?
I'm saying he didn't outwrestle him.He did a great job defending most of it but its one thing to defend and other thing to really outwrestle someone.

Lol. They obviously don't wrestle in Australia.

That's like Dan Henderson qualifying for the fencing team in Saudi Arabia.

Can confirm, we do not wrestle.

lived here my whole life NEVER met anyone who has wrestled or where you could even get training in it.

Def not a high school sport like in the USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back