Robin Black sees more sparring footage - gives insight to Mac's gameplan

Robin Black is a more of a pundit than an analyst. He decided that in his mind, Mcgregor has a shot of winning, so he's just saying what he can to justify that chance over giving actual analysis.

To think that in 100 years of boxing Mcgregor is going to figure something out that thousands of high level athletes didn't is ridiculous.

What makes Robin Black qualified to give analysis, again?

I wish he would stop adjusting the fooking camera...

Ugh, this guy is a turd. Go do some more lines buddy. You look like you've been on a bender for days.

I actually kinda liked this one lol.

I watched about 10 minutes and actually started laughing. I don't understand why these MMA goofballs think they have somehow cracked a code that nobody has been able to figure out for a hundred years. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Boxing is not simple. MMA is not simple. You cannot watch a sport for a bit and go, "Oh okay, I figured this shit out, I'm going to make a youtube video about it," without coming across completely silly.

Boxers do not approach things the same way. Floyd is nothing like Pacquiao, Pacquiao is nothing like Marquez, Marquez is nothing like Mosley, Mosley is nothing like Prince Naseem, etc.

In what world do these UFC fans live? Are you guys really under the impression that all boxers and trainers think of things the same? It just seems like nobody associated with the UFC really understands much about boxing.

F. truth !

Yeah the "we so smart" part I didn't agree with. For me it's more about maximizing athletic ability in order to limit technical skill - no need to complicate it beyond that. When Fury leaned on Cunningham or when Randy cage humped his opponents you could've similarly dressed it up in all these hazy theories, but at the end of the day it's just guys being smart about their limitations and using their athletic strengths to their advantages. Like if you got Jon Jones reach and skinny chicken legs that allows you to throw a ton of headkicks, then fuck yeah you should poke em with those all day unless someone has the antidote.

In Conor's case he's got reach, size, movement and wrestling advantages so he should attempt to force the game into that territory. Duh.

I also think Floyd knows it though and it is a bit disrespectful to assume that he doesn't. He's been saying "I gotta go to him" so he's more than likely aware that's he's got to find that medium range and pressure him. The caveat however is that Conor might potentially control two ranges. It is usually Floyd that controls long range and bullies his opponents with neck pulls and forearm crushes on the inside, using the medium range to mostly hide behind his shell and return counters, so if Conor takes those ranges from him it could get interesting because it would force Floyd being aggressive in a range where he's normally not the aggressor.

On the flipside Nate smashed Conor in that range though so lets see what happens.

I watched those fights, and I thought Conor was clearly the better "boxer" of the two. Nate seems to rely on being able to throw and receive punches in volume. He is kinda the Antonio Margarito of the UFC, in that way.

In an actual boxing match against a boxer, Conor is better suited to have some success because he seems to have some creativity behind what he does (like all good boxers do).

I don't have any criticism for people who believe Conor has a chance of having success. I just think it's ridiculous when the reasoning revolves around the basic argument of, "Boxers are stuck in a box, while Conor is creative." That is just not true, at all. I think MMA fans just have trouble seeing the creativity in boxing because, by necessity, it's often more intricate. After all, you are only using your hands. Most people cannot spot all that is really going on in there.

I watched those fights, and I thought Conor was clearly the better "boxer" of the two. Nate seems to rely on being able to throw and receive punches in volume. He is kinda the Antonio Margarito of the UFC, in that way.

In an actual boxing match against a boxer, Conor is better suited to have some success because he seems to have some creativity behind what he does (like all good boxers do).

I don't have any criticism for people who believe Conor has a chance of having success. I just think it's ridiculous when the reasoning revolves around the basic argument of, "Boxers are stuck in a box, while Conor is creative." That is just not true, at all. I think MMA fans just have trouble seeing the creativity in boxing because, by necessity, it's often more intricate. After all, you are only using your hands. Most people cannot spot all that is really going on in there.
Nate only started to have success against Conor after Conor's gas tank went.

His cardio is by all accounts much better now, but his defense in the past has relied so much on fast movements and explosive counters, that I wonder whether he'll be able to keep Mayweather off of him after a few rounds.

Nate only started to have success against Conor after Conor's gas tank went.

His cardio is by all accounts much better now, but his defense in the past has relied so much on fast movements and explosive counters, that I wonder whether he'll be able to keep Mayweather off of him after a few rounds.

The best chance that I see for McGregor to land a big shot is on a break from a clinch. His reach is deceptively long, maybe he can surprise Mayweather immediately following a clinch when Mayweather does not think he's in range. Honestly, I think that's what happened in the Paulie footage, with the straight left. It's also what happened to Chad Mendes on the knockout blow (thinking he was out of range when he wasn't).

What Conor usually does is pretty reliant on his opponent telegraphing a punch and Conor just using far superior control of range and to slip it and counter. That is not something I would put much faith in against Floyd Mayweather, who pretty much makes other great boxers look ordinary in that regard.

Watch the knockout of Eddie Alvarez. The guy actually makes a fist and leans in, and gives Conor a a couple seconds to recognize it's coming. He might as well have said, "Hey man, I'm gonna throw this, get ready...here it comes."

McGregor%2BKTFOS%2BAlvarez.gif

robin black is considered a fucking retard by the MMA community btw

I enjoyed this video..and with his confirmation of more footage the haters need to stfu.
we've gone through mc g wouldn't touch a real boxer
to if there was footage he'd release it
to there was ONLY the footage he released

McGregor has been shown to have been consistent and truthful throughout and it's only 6 days till he knocks mayweather out.

Wow, Robin has seen the entire footage, and basically Paulie, a 2 weight world champion who fought for a WBC title 16 weeks ago, got destroyed by Conor.
Robin only saw the clips Conor edited and offered to showtime - couple of min of footage out of 36. He admitted it in the beginning, delusional.

Use your extension, reach and north south movement to pop him with single shots from the outside.

Uh.... Agree with most of the rest of what you said (its a small chance but Conors only chance), but this here is fucking suicide against Floyd. Reach advantage or not, Conor (and really anyone going against Floyd) is not going to have much success trying to land from the outside. Floyd is as good as we have ever seen on the outside. A few people have landed some OK shots on the outside (Mosley, Judah), but they had mind blowing speed that Conor doesn't have. He will get countered all night on the outside, and his north south movement isn't strong enough and will have Floyd creating angles on Conor all night. IF (and its obviously a small if) Conor wants to win his only chance is making it a dirty, gritty IN fight.

Last edited:
In Conor's case he's got reach, size, movement and wrestling advantages so he should attempt to force the game into that territory. Duh.

LOL come on man. You know damn well that Floyd has a MASSIVE movement advantage. Both with his feet and upper body. No one but Lomachenko moves as well as Floyd does in a Boxing ring

I think MMA fans just have trouble seeing the creativity in boxing because, by necessity, it's often more intricate.

We must be living in parallell universes because all I see from the "boxing fans" on Sherdog are shallow statements mixed with ad hominens. On the other hand I've noticed more than one "Conor fanboy" with actual boxing knowledge and nods to boxing legends in the sigs and avatars that goes way beyond casual knowledge. But oh well...

I do agree that the creativity in boxing by necessity is more intricate in some aspects, but in other aspects it's also by necessity way more dogmatic and crude in terms of game plans. B-Hop is lauded as a brilliant game planner for example but what he's doing is what every MMA gym routinely does when figuring out not only different variations but completely different styles and finding strategies to mitigate them. That's not to say there aren't exceptions to the rule, and Mayweather is in my opinion one of them, but as a whole boxing as a sport does not have as refined game plans.

Other things like distance management, clinching, parrying, footwork, head control and so on are also by necessity MMA strengths because they're built in to the recipe of success in the sport and often frowned upon in boxing and when they do reap success only the fighter gets the recognition, not the techniques.

For example I, like anyone around the world with an interest in amateur boxing, grew up idolizing Felix Savon as the Ali of my time. But he got thoroughly shat on by boxing pundits as a poor technician.

"Uncoordinated", "awkward", "sloppy"... he like Roy Jones and Cassius Clay among others have been called every name in the book. But do he or they fit that description? No because it's retarded. Only when viewed from an extremely limited filter does it makes sense, so Robin is definitely spot on there. And McGregor could be one of those guys. He's certainly that guy in MMA and we've yet to see how it actually translates to boxing under the lights.

The best chance that I see for McGregor to land a big shot is on a break from a clinch. His reach is deceptively long, maybe he can surprise Mayweather immediately following a clinch when Mayweather does not think he's in range. Honestly, I think that's what happened in the Paulie footage, with the straight left. It's also what happened to Chad Mendes on the knockout blow (thinking he was out of range when he wasn't).

What Conor usually does is pretty reliant on his opponent telegraphing a punch and Conor just using far superior control of range and to slip it and counter. That is not something I would put much faith in against Floyd Mayweather, who pretty much makes other great boxers look ordinary in that regard.

Watch the knockout of Eddie Alvarez. The guy actually makes a fist and leans in, and gives Conor a a couple seconds to recognize it's coming. He might as well have said, "Hey man, I'm gonna throw this, get ready...here it comes."

McGregor%2BKTFOS%2BAlvarez.gif

Watch how he bring his elbow back and loads up on and telegraphs his punches. The poor balance on his extension. The stiffness in his legs:

$

Notice the poor angle on his attack. The awful foot position. The clumsy movement when he stumbles like a dork. The inability to slip as he's moving forward:

$

I'm being facetious but I think you get the point.

robin black is considered a fucking retard by the MMA community btw

And it would be really fucking tragic if he wasn't. The guy sounds like he got into this stuff a couple of months ago.

Other things like distance management, clinching, parrying, footwork, head control and so on are also by necessity MMA strengths because they're built in to the recipe of success in the sport and often frowned upon in boxing and when they do reap success only the fighter gets the recognition, not the techniques.

This is kinda a good example of what I'm talking about.

What in the world are you talking about here? Distance management, clinching, parrying, footwork, etc, are "frowned upon in boxing"? That is blatantly ridiculous. I do not understand where you guys come up with this stuff.

The rest of what you said is similar. "Boxing does not have refined gameplans" is one of those statements that just sounds like you pulled it out of thin air.

At this point, we'll just watch the fight and see what happens. After the fight, you can either go on saying these things, or you can take it back. Or you can pretend you never said it, which I think is going to be a huge trend on this forum.

Back