Robocop (1987) question

Just give me my goddamn phone call...

Bitches.... leave

GiddyElementaryFlea-max-1mb.gif

Both one and two are sweet movies I love the commercials in the second one.

Frank miller wrote the second one.

That is the strange situation with a lot of those R rated sci fi actioners from the late 80's and very early 90's to me, people on both sides of the debate seem to look back on them as some kind of age of right wing politics yet the films themselves generally had a pretty strong anti establishment message.

I would actually say part of the weakness of the remakes of Total Recall and Robocop is that there so spineless when it comes to there social criticism compared to Verhoeven's pitch black originals.

Generally I tend to think action blockbusters have tended to move towards being more establishment friendly from the 90's onwards. Notice the trend for glorification of the US armed forces for example, in the past you might have had individual soldiers glorified but very often dealing with a corrupt establishment(Predator for example).

I didn't see this until now, but you make a good point. Rambo and Predator were both about one soldier who didn't play by the government's rules. Commando too. Now the movies, like Zero Dark Thirty, which I thought was really good (I might be the only one), are more focused on the military itself.

He was athletic and explosive when he needed to be.

But then Red Foreman punctures his armor by thrusting a rusty piece of sharp metal into him.

I'm not one to look for plot holes in movies at all. I get immersed and it becomes like a dream in that everything somehow makes sense. But when I saw that, I was like "wtf? Bullets couldn't penetrate him but that could?"

Robocop got off easy. Red was setting him up for the foot up the ass.

I didn't see this until now, but you make a good point. Rambo and Predator were both about one soldier who didn't play by the government's rules. Commando too. Now the movies, like Zero Dark Thirty, which I thought was really good (I might be the only one), are more focused on the military itself.

More into action blockbusters as well you have stuff like ID4, Battleship, etc as well were the whole US armed forces play very positive roles, again I think a very different direction that showing us the view of one or a few good soldiers fighting a corrupt establishment.

In a lot of those films(the Robocops, Running Man, Total Recall) the US itself is shown as descending into some facist/capitalist hell hole in a way you very rarely see depicted in big blockbusters these days.

Personally I think one issue is that serious sci fi as a genre really tanked after the early 80's(Blade Runner flopping perhaps part of the cause?) so it tended to be that ideas which would have made it into such films in the 70's or more recently actually ended up in action films instead, hence the whole genre being far more interesting and creative than many gave it credit for.

He was athletic and explosive when he needed to be.
More into action blockbusters as well you have stuff like ID4, Battleship, etc as well were the whole US armed forces play very positive roles, again I think a very different direction that showing us the view of one or a few good soldiers fighting a corrupt establishment.

In a lot of those films(the Robocops, Running Man, Total Recall) the US itself is shown as descending into some facist/capitalist hell hole in a way you very rarely see depicted in big blockbusters these days.

Personally I think one issue is that serious sci fi as a genre really tanked after the early 80's(Blade Runner flopping perhaps part of the cause?) so it tended to be that ideas which would have made it into such films in the 70's or more recently actually ended up in action films instead, hence the whole genre being far more interesting and creative than many gave it credit for.

I couldn't disagree with you more about sci-fi. There have been a lot of great sci-fi movies made since the 80s. Primer is a fantastic example.

Also, I couldn't get through 15 minutes of ID4 it was so corny. And Bsttleship is definitely not my speed either. I like shit like Band of Brothers. IMO, it doesn't get any better than that or when Michael Bolton sings When a Man Loves A Woman.

I couldn't disagree with you more about sci-fi. There have been a lot of great sci-fi movies made since the 80s. Primer is a fantastic example.

Also, I couldn't get through 15 minutes of ID4 it was so corny. And Bsttleship is definitely not my speed either. I like shit like Band of Brothers. IMO, it doesn't get any better than that or when Michael Bolton sings When a Man Loves A Woman.

I mentioned "or more recently" with regards to more interest in harder sci fi that I do think definitely picked up towards the end of the 90's, the last decade or so has I think actually been very strong, Under The Skin, Ex Machina, Sunshine, Moon, Her, Source Code, etc.

Its more I think you had an era in the 80's and early 90's were not that much serious sci fi was made so directors and material tended to be pushed towards Arnie style blockbusters instead resulting in those films having a lot more creativity and depth to them than the typical violence and one liners image many have of them.

Robocop is one of my favorite movies of all time. I grew up on that shit.

Both one and two are sweet movies I love the commercials in the second one.

Frank miller wrote the second one.

I actually liked the second one. Sure, it wasn't as great as the first, but I enjoyed the darker, satirical direction they went. The third was pretty bad, though.

Robocop is one of my favorite movies of all time. I grew up on that shit.

I actually liked the second one. Sure, it wasn't as great as the first, but I enjoyed the darker, satirical direction they went. The third was pretty bad, though.
Yeah the third was awful, and I think the second one is great. The whole satirical aspect made it awesome. And nuke is an awesome drug.

One of the best satires ever made. Paul Verhoeven also made Starship Troopers and Total Recall. Great director.

Back