Rolled with a purple belt in BJJ

@jack36767 came here to relate a similar story.

I have to say this is legitimately the first time I've been pissed off at a white belt. There's a new guy, 25ish. Very athletic, played baseball or soccer at a D1 school, forgot which sport.

The first time I rolled with him it was his third class. I let him pass into side control and try to work the choke we were drilling in class that day. Of course I escape. Afterwards he starts going on about how he almost had me. I told him man I let you get that position. He insists he almost had me. I let it go. Whatever.

A couple of days ago. Open mat. I'm playing open guard. I let him take side control and then mount me. Escape, reverse, arm bar. Reset. I catch a triangle. He's getting very frustrated. "Dammit, I fucked up." I say, "Hey, don't worry about it. I screw up 50 times a day. We're not in the finals at the worlds here, we're just playing around." Then I catch him in the exact same triangle, exact same setup. I guess this really pissed him off. We reset, I end up in side control pretty quickly. This is where it goes bad.

I'm inside control and he starts digging his far side thumb into my throat. Hard. From side control obviously I can do the same only much worse. But I just say, "Hey dude, get your thumb out of my throat." He says, "I'm just grabbing your fucking collar." I just get up and walk back to the wall and sit my happy ass down. There's still 3 or 4 minutes left on the clock.

So now I'm wondering what I should do next. Sit him down and tell him basic Jiu-Jitsu courtesy? Get the word around so everyone knows to smash him? I'm kind of thinking next roll with him to just make it suck for 8 minutes. Fist to throat from closed guard, knee on belly, cross face pressure, elbow grinds, chokes on his jaw. Good old Ralph Gracie style.

I helped to open this academy and am a charter member. Never dealt with this type of asshole before.

Thoughts and suggestions?

I'd start with talking to him, just let him know that pain for the sake of pain doesn't really help anyone and that he needs to check his ego. If he doesn't, then avoid rolling with him and when you do just stay on top and smash him the whole time. In my experience people with attitudes like that rarely last long. Really athletic people are sometimes so used to just being good without effort that a deeply technical sport like BJJ or wrestling (really any combat sport) doesn't seem to give them fast enough reward.

I have to say this is legitimately the first time I've been pissed off at a white belt. There's a new guy, 25ish. Very athletic, played baseball or soccer at a D1 school, forgot which sport.

The first time I rolled with him it was his third class. I let him pass into side control and try to work the choke we were drilling in class that day. Of course I escape. Afterwards he starts going on about how he almost had me. I told him man I let you get that position. He insists he almost had me. I let it go. Whatever.

A couple of days ago. Open mat. I'm playing open guard. I let him take side control and then mount me. Escape, reverse, arm bar. Reset. I catch a triangle. He's getting very frustrated. "Dammit, I fucked up." I say, "Hey, don't worry about it. I screw up 50 times a day. We're not in the finals at the worlds here, we're just playing around." Then I catch him in the exact same triangle, exact same setup. I guess this really pissed him off. We reset, I end up in side control pretty quickly. This is where it goes bad.

I'm inside control and he starts digging his far side thumb into my throat. Hard. From side control obviously I can do the same only much worse. But I just say, "Hey dude, get your thumb out of my throat." He says, "I'm just grabbing your fucking collar." I just get up and walk back to the wall and sit my happy ass down. There's still 3 or 4 minutes left on the clock.

So now I'm wondering what I should do next. Sit him down and tell him basic Jiu-Jitsu courtesy? Get the word around so everyone knows to smash him? I'm kind of thinking next roll with him to just make it suck for 8 minutes. Fist to throat from closed guard, knee on belly, cross face pressure, elbow grinds, chokes on his jaw. Good old Ralph Gracie style.

I helped to open this academy and am a charter member. Never dealt with this type of asshole before.

Smash him but stay completely composed and nonchalant. The fact you aren’t giving effort breaks them quicker because if you hulk out and visibly use lots of effort they’ll tell themselves “he had to go all out to beat me”

First time i rolled with a purple belt, i felt he was a jedi.
This was probably 15 years ago, when there were very few black belts, browns and purples. The majority of instructors where purple belts (outside of Brazil). The blue belts where "ok", but the difference between them and purples seemed abysmal. Purple belts, to me, are sort of the "enforcers" of their club and BJJ in general. They have to show the power of the gentle art and it's normal to be and feel dominated by a good one if you're "new".
Unfortunately, fast forward to this day, and i feel like there's so many Barney Belts instead of purple belts. Donkey, monkey, twinkie, humpty dumptey guards who will roll in agony like Neymar if by accident someone reaps their knee by an inch or if a white/blue belt forces them to roll hard to beat them up. A few years ago they'd just smash and destroy with no contempt for organic life.

Those kids need to get off your damn lawn, too!!

Shoulder of justice.

It seems like his biggest problems are ego related and in my experience a crushing top game with boatloads of shoulder pressure is the best way to force the ego to adapt and grow.

Don't be malicious, just be like water. But be the undertow that smashes and drowns.

Keep that up for a few months and he should sort himself out.

Shoulder of justice.

It seems like his biggest problems are ego related and in my experience a crushing top game with boatloads of shoulder pressure is the best way to force the ego to adapt and grow.

Don't be malicious, just be like water. But be the undertow that smashes and drowns.

Keep that up for a few months and he should sort himself out.

I like that. That's my go-to when people piss me off. Its only happened twice but when it does, it's not pleasant.

When someone beats you really bad in a technical manner it is inspiring.

As far as white belts are concerned purple belts are magic. I remember as a white belt every Friday I went to an open mat and the only guy who showed was a striped purple belt. He would whoop my ass for 2 hours.

Can honestly say that was my most formative bjj xp and solidified that if I put the time in I could have that level of control over someone.
Cool man! I had a SanKyu who crushed me mercilessly in open mats, threw me threw the floor in class till other people where scared to work with him, but taught me so much and finally I caught up to him cause I had the time back then to train, compete and take seminars all the time.

I keep saying the countless hours you train outside of class is where the magic happens!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back