Rolling Hard

Snorks

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am a 4 stripe blue belt who trains at a very small club, maybe 25 people on the books and 10-12 people in a normal class which runs twice a week. We are very white belt heavy at the moment (maybe about 8 at every training) so i don't get to roll with the coloured belts very often and when i do it's starting from the knees and staying in the same area because we are so cramped for space (we are looking for more space, but that takes time).
Anyway, one of my teammates is competing next month in the state titles so a few of us coloured belts got together on the weekend and really rolled hard! I had forgotten how much i love rolling like that. Really applying pressure, trying new things, rolling all over the mat.
I had been plateauing for a bit over the last few months which is frustrating but expected. I needed this to remind me of why i love this sport.
Anyone else find they get caught up too often in the techniques, drilling and positional rolling?

Rolling is fun and important, but situational/positional training will advance your skill faster. To pull a number from my nether regions, I'd prefer my resistance training be about 80/20 situational to free-form.

Edit: You can do positional training just as hard as you would an unconstrained roll.

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying but luckily do not experience that. You have to roll hard consistently

Fuck man consider yourself lucky. I get the exact opposite. Always going with guys who are too lazy to drill and always want to go live.

Always starting from the knees really sucks if you like to wrestle a little bit though.

Glad some hard rolls rejuvenated you though

Last edited:
We always roll very hard in the situational sparring

We do a lot of open guard sparring (one of the guys just tries to pass the other is trying to sweep and can go for subs)

We have a ''next'' so it goes fast and everybody tries everybody. So if you win the little game you have a new guy coming in to try to beat you

The higher belts don't give any chances in those spar because they know that it's going fast and that they are not bullying the new guy.

When we do a ''normal sparring'' the best guys tune it down a bit when they roll with lesser competition, they don't want to discourage anybody.

I roll hard pretty much all the time. Of course, I rarely roll with white or blue belts, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison. In general however I'm a great believer that most of your live training should be close to 100%.

Rolling hard is great to help you remember why you train.

Positional training, drilling and technique is great to help you remember what you train.

Back