Room (the movie)

@shadow_priest_x

Did you prefer the first half of the movie(in the room) or the second half of the movie(out of room)

I saw this tonight in class and I thought the first half of the movie was close to perfect.

I thought the second half dragged on to long and I actually caught myself looking at the clock a few times

Last edited:
@shadow_priest_x

Did you prefer the first half of the movie(in the room) or the second half of the movie(out of room)

I saw this tonight in class and I thought the first half of the movie was close to perfect.

I thought the second half dragged on to long and I actually caught myself looking at the cock a few times

Whose cock were you looking at?

Oh, I see. Well yeah . . . this thread is not about that.

EDIT: Actually, I have heard about that movie now that I think about it but forgot the title. Honestly, from what I've seen, it does not look good, but it also doesn't look as bad as some people make it out to be. I've certainly seen worse shit from film students.

I am shocked you had never heard of The Room before posting this thread. That film is notorious.

@shadow_priest_x

I thought the second half dragged on to long and I actually caught myself looking at the clock a few times

Man, it's been a little while since I watched it now and I'm having a hard time remembering specifics.

I don't think I can answer your question but what I will tell you is that I remember feeling like it was good that the story had changed. The part of the film where they're actually stuck in the room is good, and well-done, but if the whole film had been that then I think I would've felt like there needed to be more to the narrative.

Plus, I mean shit, you just want to see them get out of there.

I am shocked you had never heard of The Room before posting this thread. That film is notorious.

LOL. I've actually seen the movie at this point. It was our Movie Club selection just a few weeks ago.

The suicide in that movie can kiss my ass

Had textbook writerly, overrwrought dramatic intent written all over it

one of the sadder parts of this movie was for me, realizing that the parents were divorced and the father clearly went through some very tough times during that time. Only for their daughter to be alive the whole time...

I can't imagine the overflow of emotions that would come from losing your daughter, your marriage falling to pieces due to your daughter going missing/presumed dead, becoming an alcoholic, alone....to suddenly your daughter being alive, but the victim of such a heinous, monstrous crime, that you were unable to protect her from...

the feeling of helplessness that arises from what happened to Brie's character, and in particular the effect on her dad hit me hard...

fantastic movie though

It is loosely based on real life events. Its actually happened a few time with the dad locking his daughter up and having babies with her.

Good movie...its a slow movie but a good one

Finally got around to this one.

First off, I thought it was an acting tour de force from Larson and Tremblay. Two extremely naturalistic performances and I never, for a moment, doubted the mother-son bond between them. That was just great.

It was an emotional, heavy-hitting film. There were multiple times that it really got to me.

A few random observations:

- I see what @shadow_priest_x was saying about Joy having to bank on Old Nick not looking in the rug, but I think she was confident enough that her expression of anger, pain, and hostility toward Nick for not taking him to the hospital would be enough to discourage Nick from looking. Additionally, Joy would generally not let him look at or interact with Jack since he had been born so it was safe to say that when it came to Jack, Joy's protectiveness and strength was enough to prompt Old Nick to back off.
- I can't imagine the pain and horror women in this type of situation went through. I read the book Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus wrote and saw the TV movie from Michelle Knight's perspective and it's just fucking horrendous that this happens.

- The film did a great job of showing the frustration- both from Jack's and Joy's perspective- when she is trying to break the illusion that she had created and let him know the true nature of the world and their situation. From Joy's perspective, it seems like she is hurt by the fact that Jack is seemingly unable to process this, but from Jack's perspective, he is being told something that not only contradicts his world view but also paints a much bleaker picture of the world than the illusion one.

- The latter half of the film was very good, too. Joan Allen is always a reliably solid actress and I really liked how they focused on Jack gradually letting his guard down and cultivating a relationship with his grandma and her husband.

- William H. Macy gave a very sad, impacting performance. I would have liked to see more of him, but I think it was effective that the film conveyed the pain but did not provide catharsis with the character. I fully expected there would be some scene where he was able to speak with Jack, but there was not. That lack of resolution was troubling but felt real.

- The reporter made me want to punch the screen during the interview scene. Was she meant to be from some sort of schlock news program? Because I kept asking myself who the f would ask something that accusatory and insensitive to someone who had gone through such hardship.

Overall, a very emotionally challenging and, ultimately, uplifting movie. Brie Larson is awesome and I look forward to seeing more of her work. Tremblay gave a very resonant and authentic performance. Highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Man, it's been a little while since I watched it now and I'm having a hard time remembering specifics.

I don't think I can answer your question but what I will tell you is that I remember feeling like it was good that the story had changed. The part of the film where they're actually stuck in the room is good, and well-done, but if the whole film had been that then I think I would've felt like there needed to be more to the narrative.

Plus, I mean shit, you just want to see them get out of there.

First half is better imo

I, too, thought you were talking about that Tommy Wiseau movie.

I hadn't heard of this one, but it looks good. I'll have to check it out.

Lotta good stuff comes out of the a24 film company.

I'm so happy I have you as my best friend. And I love Lisa so much

Back