Rousey just came out at Royal Rumble, signs full time deal with WWE

I really hope this doesnt happen. It is a great strategy to get someone over, or get some heat.. but the performer has to be able to understand that... And from everything ive seen, Ronda would not be able to handle that

That's what they do though. Her mettle will be tested eventually. Haters of pro wrestling can shit all over it, but the mind-fucking that goes on backstage/on the road with wrestlers is probably worse than the bumps they take in the ring and the grinding schedule. Plenty of MMA fighters have said pro wrestling is harder than MMA due to the schedule and no breaks.

Have a family? Well you're never going to see them.

Have a relationship/marriage? Good luck keeping that intact.

Rousey doing this full-time....she is going to get wound up and it is going to be by the guys and girls. Everyone gets tested. It doesn't matter who you are. The wrestlers will be more resentful of her coming in and not paying her dues in the indies or NXT first. Her matches can be botched and she may or may not know what it going on.

Rousey needs a legit manager to travel with her everywhere and teach her about pro wrestling in all aspects (working, character, politics) and surviving the grind on the road.

Plus welcome to the world of uppers/downers, pain pills, other drugs and booze.

I don't think she is going to finish out this deal.

That's what they do though. Her mettle will be tested eventually. Haters of pro wrestling can shit all over it, but the mind-fucking that goes on backstage/on the road with wrestlers is probably worse than the bumps they take in the ring and the grinding schedule. Plenty of MMA fighters have said pro wrestling is harder than MMA due to the schedule and no breaks.

Have a family? Well you're never going to see them.

Have a relationship/marriage? Good luck keeping that intact.

Rousey doing this full-time....she is going to get wound up and it is going to be by the guys and girls. Everyone gets tested. It doesn't matter who you are. The wrestlers will be more resentful of her coming in and not paying her dues in the indies or NXT first. Her matches can be botched and she may or may not know what it going on.

Rousey needs a legit manager to travel with her everywhere and teach her about pro wrestling in all aspects (working, character, politics) and surviving the grind on the road.

I agree with everything you said here. I wish her the best but I dont see this working out well.

And i would wager, pro wrestling fans are even more brutal than mma fans

Well, it ain't 1995. They keep a pretty good eye on the drugging and boozing these days(probably why everyone is so bland and boring).

We'll see how the deal goes. I doubt she's "full time" full time. Her status has likely earned her a few perks, like not working many house shows, and whatnot. I'm assuming she got a pretty decent deal, as far as scheduling goes. Then again, maybe she's really passionate about it, and wants to get as much work in as possible. Who knows?

It won't be long before we find out how seriously she's taking it.

I agree with everything you said here. I wish her the best but I dont see this working out well.

And i would wager, pro wrestling fans are even more brutal than mma fans

If they start chanting things at her....Oh boy.

Well, it ain't 1995. They keep a pretty good eye on the drugging and boozing these days(probably why everyone is so bland and boring).

We'll see how the deal goes. I doubt she's "full time" full time. Her status has likely earned her a few perks, like not working many house shows, and whatnot. I'm assuming she got a pretty decent deal, as far as scheduling goes. Then again, maybe she's really passionate about it, and wants to get as much work in as possible. Who knows?

It won't be long before we find out how seriously she's taking it.

WWE can't prevent her from drinking. The other stuff works its way into the PW lifestyle. I'm assuming when Rousey said she is going to be full-time she's full-time. She needs to do the smaller shows to work on everything. That is part of her apprenticeship.

There are plenty of bad influences in and around the company.
She's already admitted she is star struck.

"Come on Ronda. Have a drink with me. Let me tell you stories about Roddy."

"I get to party with the 'Nature Boy?'"

50 Kamikazes later.....

Rousey is going to have to drink to become one of the Boys. Taking downers after partying. Uppers to get up to catch that 7 am flight. Working out. Matches. Drinking again. Downers, etc. etc. etc.

WWE can't prevent her from drinking. The other stuff works its way into the PW lifestyle. I'm assuming when Rousey said she is going to be full-time she's full-time. She needs to do the smaller shows to work on everything. That is part of her apprenticeship.

There are plenty of bad influences in and around the company.
She's already admitted she is star struck.

"Come on Ronda. Have a drink with me. Let me tell you stories about Roddy."

"I get to party with the 'Nature Boy?'"

50 Kamikazes later.....

Rousey is going to have to drink to become one of the Boys. Taking downers after partying. Uppers to get up to catch that 7 am flight. Working out. Matches. Drinking again. Downers, etc. etc. etc.

Nah. It's a totally different environment today. Even old schoolers who have returned, have noticed as much. They're all pretty straight laced.

The drug testing has really put a damper on all the "extra" activities, and WWE is also very conscious of substance abuse. It's as much about protecting the WWE's image, as it is the stars' health. If they notice anybody slipping from booze, or whatever, they'll be chucking their ass in rehab, real quick, if not just outright firing them.

That won't be an issue, and it's not like Ronda isn't used to having a crazy schedule, and hanging out with all types. Where she might have issues, is with her general attitude, if things start to go south. That, I can see being an issue. She seems to have to quite the ego on her, that might not react well if the fans start turning on her, and she gets resented by other wrestlers for having shit given to her.

We'll see.

That whole segment was awkward. She pointed at a sign, and the real wrestlers stood stiffly silent looking like they couldn’t wait for it to be over.

That is yet to be seen.
We have no idea the deal or amount of effort needed.

She said she is FT
If so, no chance it is what you said.
WWE performers do 200-250 dates & much more work for a lot less money

I'd be any amount of money she's doing far less than 250 dates.

1. Kurt Angle was world class on the mic when he first started, she can't do that.

2. Brock legit punished with brutal powerbombs on his debut that she couldn't do either.

3. I'm glad he is getting his life in order and getting a pay check. But sometimes hearing GM Kurt depresses me... He isn't a tenth of his old self.

1. I was meaning how Kurt had a legitimate background and would constantly remind the fans of it and became a huge heat magnet. Ronda could have the same kind of shtick. "I'm a real fighter, you should appreciate me being here" type of thing.

2. She doesn't need to do EXACTLY what Brock did, Judo throw a few girls, kick a few more, just basically come out and squash multiple opponents at once.

3. Everyone ages but just remember he won an Olympic gold medal with a broken friggin' neck, It's true............it's damn true.

I'd be any amount of money she's doing far less than 250 dates.

Of course, but you keep assuming she will get paid more for less, when there is zero proof to that as of now.
She even admitted herself in an ESPN interview she is taking a pay cut because she is a huge fan
Lesnar made more for UFC 200 then he did in WWE for the whole year of 2016.
When Brock signed with WWE over UFC, Dana said Brock would have made twice as much with UFC but chose WWE.

Plus its a judgment call on what is easier.
Brock made $6+m for 5 weeks commitment (UFC 200)
He traveled to/from Vegas once

With Ronda, she will need to train if she is truly doing this FT.
If she does please tell other MMA fighters how training wrestling is easier & they will disagree
Rampage quit after a week

Of course, but you keep assuming she will get paid more for less, when there is zero proof to that as of now.
She even admitted herself in an ESPN interview she is taking a pay cut because she is a huge fan
When Brock signed with WWE over UFC, Dana said Brock would have made twice as much with UFC but chose WWE.

If she does please tell other MMA fighters how training wrestling is easier & they will disagree

Well, then Im wrong. Oh, well.

As far as training is concerned, my understanding was that with the WWE it's the schedule that kills you more than your training.

Well, then Im wrong. Oh, well.

As far as training is concerned, my understanding was that with the WWE it's the schedule that kills you more than your training.

All good
Well once you get to WWE you really no longer train because you are on the road 50-51 weeks a year.
But the training (before you make it) weeds out the pretenders.

In RR's situation, she will need to train.
Obviously they won't put her through the same drills as every other person at PC, but she will take more bumps in a day then she will in any match & that takes its toll.

In no way will RR go through what her friend Shayna did & is doing, but she will probably train pretty hard

I get that!
Its actually the smart booking.
She is obviously awkward & needs more training, so they can get a lot of attention while she approves her in-ring and promos.
After that, she can move on to Charlotte & have a little more experience.

Sure, it was mainly for the non-smarks that may have thought the match was a compliment because she was already good at wrestling.

She will get paid more for less, the rationale behind signing her is that they will get a juicy tv contract off her crossover appeal. There is no way she does three house shows a week. At most she works a Shawn Michaels level schedule for as long as this appeals to her emotionally and financially.

A pay cut is meaningless, unless she literally had an equal opportunity (which might mean a "juicy" UFC purse which would likely be a bit less) she had to turn down (its not like a movie or tv deal won't immediately draw her away). Brock's "big" 200 payday only happened because he had his WWE leverage and they wanted him badly back.

You do realize as a boxer getting a million buys instead of a 2.5 million purse (and what you note as 6 total) he'd get an excess of a $40 million advance plus a healthy percentage? You realize that required months of getting into shape and risking his health in a dangerous fight? You realize for an exhibition Lesnar draws a million plus per show with very little investment other than staying in reasonable shape?

Ronda will have to train but she is never going to be getting 25 bumps a night and then sitting in an airport for three hours waiting for a flight. She will fight choreographed big matches with every move carefully planned where if even there is a slight failure everything will fall on her opponent.

The greatest clue to all this, her first match is still a Wrestlemania show set up at San Fran with three other part-timers if they can get the Rock. She isn't working a feud that could possibly continue. The Wrestlemania Revenge tour is normally a big draw, but Rousey might not be there past next night's Raw.

Back