Roy Jones: "You struggled with a Junior Middleweight"

If you're rating them on talent, the its all Roy. If you're rating them on their accomplishment at 160 only, Golovkin did more.

At the end of the vid, Roy is talking more P4P.

Yeah he is talking P4P because he realizes he didn't accomplish as much at MW as GGG did; Super Middle and up. However Jones spent his time across multiple divisions so I wouldn't expect him to have accomplished as much in the one division.

If you're rating them on talent, the its all Roy. If you're rating them on their accomplishment at 160 only, Golovkin did more.

At the end of the vid, Roy is talking more P4P.

I didn’t say anything about him at 160. I agree with you.

Canelo has fought at a higher weight than Golovkin ever has as a pro so that's a pretty dumb comment.

Canelo has fought at a higher weight than Golovkin ever has as a pro so that's a pretty dumb comment.
Golovkin was clearly the bigger man vs Canelo. Canelo taking one payday fight at super middle doesn't mean he's a real super middle weight.

Golovkin was clearly the bigger man vs Canelo. Canelo taking one payday fight at super middle doesn't mean he's a real super middle weight.

Are we referring to the catchweight fight with Chavez Jr? If so, then I agree. Canelo came into stardom as a welterweight. I believe that is what RJJ was referring to. He moved up to GGG's weight class.

I didn't say he is a super MW. But he has fought at a higher weight than Golovkin and hasn't been a junior MW for a while. People move up in weight all the time. He can't still be called a JMW forever.

He got knocked out after a decade and a half as a pro, 15 years where he was essentially untouchable.
oh no argument there. i would be comfortable betting on a prime RJJ against any prime middleweight in history.

but this "you struggled with a junior middleweight" shit is stupid. golovkin has aged, and so people are catching up with him. plenty caught up with RJJ, his argument could easily be used against him. and canelo isn't a junior middleweight, he's a proper middleweight.

I don’t know I’d say it’s gone rapidly downhill, Roy is just a once in a century talent.
after 2000 and only after 2000 did it become common having stars of the sport in their forties.

Roy would absolutely have embarrassed ggg in his prime... Kell Brook is a very slick fighter and had success but lacked the power...Roy was amazing and naturally bigger.

Roy would absolutely have embarrassed ggg in his prime... Kell Brook is a very slick fighter and had success but lacked the power...Roy was amazing and naturally bigger.

His power looked ok, I didn’t find it a stretch to see him knocking Golovkin out in that fight.

It looked like he lacked punch resistance at that weight.

On topic RJJ and Toney would embarrass GGG at 160 but neither lasted at that weight for long.

oh no argument there. i would be comfortable betting on a prime RJJ against any prime middleweight in history.

but this "you struggled with a junior middleweight" shit is stupid. golovkin has aged, and so people are catching up with him. plenty caught up with RJJ, his argument could easily be used against him. and canelo isn't a junior middleweight, he's a proper middleweight.

I think RJJ is referring to how Canelo came up the ranks from welterweight to middleweight and ended up ultimately walking GGG down. He was a star, and champion at WW then went up to MW. I can not speak for RJJ, but that is how I'm interpreting what he said.

It's the same way some were giving Kell Brook a break for not being able to handle GGG, because he was a WW champ that moved up. In that same sense, people will give GGG a hard time for getting walked down by a WW who moved up to MW, and beat him at his own game.

GGG wanted Canelo to stand with him, and he did. Although he is a full fledged MW now, he did move up in weight in his career, and beat the baddest man at that weight, at his own game.

In my view RJJ was saying no one was going to come up to his weight class, and do that to him.

I think RJJ is referring to how Canelo came up the ranks from welterweight to middleweight and ended up ultimately walking GGG down. He was a star, and champion at WW then went up to MW. I can not speak for RJJ, but that is how I'm interpreting what he said.

It's the same way some were giving Kell Brook a break for not being able to handle GGG, because he was a WW champ that moved up. In that same sense, people will give GGG a hard time for getting walked down by a WW who moved up to MW, and beat him at his own game.

GGG wanted Canelo to stand with him, and he did. Although he is a full fledged MW now, he did move up in weight in his career, and beat the baddest man at that weight, at his own game.

In my view RJJ was saying no one was going to come up to his weight class, and do that to him.
but that isn't any less silly, coming from RJJ. what does it matter where alvarez started his career? he had his first professional fight when he was 15. he's 28 now. odds are good golovkin wasn't a middleweight when he was 15, either. it's like saying manny pacquiao is a flyweight.

as for no one coming up to RJJ and walking him down... i guess he's right. he didn't just get walked down, people knocked him the fuck out.

my point is that using the second canelo fight to discredit golovkin's career isn't fair. gennady is 36 years old... not to mention the fight was incredibly competitive. he wasn't dominated at all. RJJ got his brain scrambled by tarver at 35. is it fair to say RJJ can't be ranked among all time greats because tarver and johnson took his soul when he turned 35? come on.

but that isn't any less silly, coming from RJJ. what does it matter where alvarez started his career? he had his first professional fight when he was 15. he's 28 now. odds are good golovkin wasn't a middleweight when he was 15, either. it's like saying manny pacquiao is a flyweight.

as for no one coming up to RJJ and walking him down... i guess he's right. he didn't just get walked down, people knocked him the fuck out.

my point is that using the second canelo fight to discredit golovkin's career isn't fair. gennady is 36 years old... not to mention the fight was incredibly competitive. he wasn't dominated at all. RJJ got his brain scrambled by tarver at 35. is it fair to say RJJ can't be ranked among all time greats because tarver and johnson took his soul when he turned 35? come on.

I can agree to that. I do believe Roy fought better competition throughout the weight classes. He gave Toney, and Hopkins their first losses. Yes B Hop lost his pro debut, but he was clearly very green.

GGG is 36 almost 37. I can concur he looks real good for what might be expected at that age. He deserves a ton of credit. RJJ isn't taking anything away from GGG. I believe he was merely analyzing the careers, and probably offended that he often times isn't looked at as highly as he should be. Plus, Roy is very competitive. He just had his "last fight" February of this year. lol.

I like them both. The only issue I think we get comparing them is that GGG did acquire more belts at MW. RJJ went up in weight. Comparing them at MW, with that knowledge alone makes GGG the choice (on paper).

RJJ had a 88% finish rate at MW. GGG has a 89% finish rate, so they're almost identical percentage wise. However, GGG has more fights in the division than Roy had, so that is a factor as well. GGG has a loss now at MW, Roy was undefeated in that division but being there longer the likelihood of a loss is greater.

That's the issue with fighters from different eras. It's a speculation game. The only way we could for sure know who was the better man is to see them in the ring together. Everything else is just good for sherdog posts, barbershop conversations, and gym talk. lol

Back