Rumor - Bellator Close To Signing Chuck Liddell To Multi Million $ Deal

we all expected this news especially seeing how bad their ratings are doing, they'll take the hate on this signing and Chuck vs Tito, Fedor, Sonnen, Wandy and Rampage will do millions of viewers.

i mean, on one hand... i guess over the hill people with names and dada doodoo somehow bring in a lot of viewers, but on the other... this is hitting levels of geriatric embarrassment that probably shouldn't be reached.

tko via heart attack probably shouldn't be a common method of stoppage.

as long as he fights guys his age I have no problem with this

Does Bellator really have the money for this? Their big events might make $800k in gate and like 1 million viewers on TV. I don't think that's enough to have a card of high paid guys like Chuck, Sonnen, etc.

This is exactly the only main reason why I hate Bellator.
(Yes, the UFC does signed CM Punk and a bunch of crappy WMMA fighters)

My point is that people praising Coker like he is a better promoter than Dana because he gave better $$$ to ex UFC fighters but at least Dana forced Chuck to retire.
Coker is desperate for some good TV ratings so he decided to make a deal with someone who gets KO'd 3 consecutive times.

I would be okay if Bellator signed him as a ambassador or something BUT not fighting.

Tito and Chuck 3 is going to be a sad sight.

Awesome. If he still wants to fight then let him go for it. Hopefully he's been juicing or taking TRT for the last 8 years. Fedor vs Chuck will be great.

Chuck is getting bored, he was just on Big Brother. At least he raised his profile as millions watch that show.

This is worse than any signing imo, worse than Punk, Kimbo etc. CHuck is 50 and punch drunk, hasnt fought in 7 years and was knocked out alot at the end.

If they cared about fighter safety they wouldnt be signing him.

Not that I want to see it but Randy coming back wouldnt be like oh man this is dangerous, Chuck coming back is though.

This is worse than any signing imo, worse than Punk, Kimbo etc. CHuck is 50 and punch drunk, hasnt fought in 7 years and was knocked out alot at the end.

If they cared about fighter safety they wouldnt be signing him.

Not that I want to see it but Randy coming back wouldnt be like oh man this is dangerous, Chuck coming back is though.

If Chuck cared about fighter safety he wouldn't be fighting. But he clearly doesn't, and neither does Bellator. Does Bellator have any obligation to care more than the fighters do (which is not at all)?

MMA is shitty and ugly and messy to basically everyone as they near the end of their careers. This isn't new. The UFC absolutely would've given Chuck fights if he approached them during the 2014 down-period when they had no stars and were desperate. You'd be a literal real-life crazy-person to not think that. But Chuck didn't need money back then.

This just in!! Bellator continues proving why they are the B league.

will still watch. <{fry}>

NO they wouldnt have which is why UFC paid Chuck not to fight in the first place.

Are we pretending in 2014 the UFC couldnt have said yo Chuck, I know you never really wanted to stop fighting, we are in rough shape. How about one more?

You think Chuck would have said nah I'm good? GTFOH.

UFC never asked him cause they never wanted him to fight again.

There are some guys I'm sure today UFC would consider bringing back, Tito maybe, shit even Randy because Randy still seems all there.

They were never bringing CHuck back at any point because he was washed, Dana is friends with him and I think they all see he's punch drunk and they dont want those problems no matter what.

They paid him to not fight until they didn't. Now he's fighting again. By stopping his payment (the only thing keeping him out of the cage) they were effectively ensuring his return. This arguments concludes that the UFC literally got Liddell back into the cage by removing what they knew was the only roadblock in his place.

And yeah, they would've absolutely got him back for a fight if he expressed intent. He never expressed that intent because he was paid not to. He never made enough as a pro to comfortably retire on for life, evidenced by his salary beginning immediately upon his retirement from competition.

Also, if Bellator turns Liddell down, what's to stop Liddell from just fighting somewhere else? The bottom line is the same, if that's what we're really concerned about here. Chuck is still fighting because he needs the money. Be it in Bellator or somewhere else. How is Bellator helping anyone or anything by not signing him if he's made the decision? The UFC didn't want to book him to fight, fine. And look where we are. He's still doing it. It really doesn't change anything.

I think Tito mauls him at this point.

Well, Tito couldn’t beat Chuck in his prime but I imagine he has a decent chance beating him now at 50 years-old and coming off an 8 year layoff.

Back