Rumor: Ortiz, Liddell to partner with Golden Boy Boxing for Trilogy Fight

NandoMoura

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

Come again now? They wouldn’t? Would they? This is combat sports, it’s 2018, so everything is pretty much on the table but if even this is a stretch. If a few weeks from now you hear more rumors of Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz fighting for a third time, don’t act surprised.

UFC doesn’t want it. Bellator may want it but can’t afford it. So maybe MMA legends Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz will need to think outside the eight sided box in order to get one more payday.

If Golden Boy Boxing promotions ever wanted to dip their toes in MMA, this fight would be it. Maybe Golden Boy views the upcoming Zuffa Boxing project as a threat down the road and wants to strike first?

Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz fighting a third time on pay-per-view with the power of Golden Boy promotions behind them? Combat sports in 2018, ladies and gentleman.

https://middleeasy.com/mma-news/rum...ner-with-golden-boy-boxing-for-trilogy-fight/

That's the worst "article" I read all week.

<{fry}>

Count me in as a cynic.

I think MMA will eventually adopt this model, but it'll kickstart when a guy like Conor McGregor decides to rebel against the UFC, fights out his contract, and exclusively fights for his own (already set up) promotion.

Liddell-Ortiz 3 wouldn't do the same business it did eleven years ago, and they need a machine like UFC or Bellator to handle all of the logistics. Golden Boy only ever delivers on Canelo bouts, and even that is dependent on if he has the right opponent.

I hope to hell this fight doesn't happen. Chuck will destroy the last remnants of his legacy when he gets flat-lined by Ortiz. He has nothing left and Ortiz will have enough to undo one of Chuck's legacy achievements.

giphy.gif

Please no. I think even Tito could KO Chuck at this point.

Sad thing is it probably would sell.

But I think a lot lower than what Golden Boy might think. I'm not sure they'd get the sponsor support there use to getting on the boxing side to help offset cost.

There is a reason why MMA hasn't gone the way of the boxing model or really has ever tried much.

Back