*Rumour* New Xbox One discless console coming in 2019

Hyperglide

Tell Apathy
@Gold
Reaction score
Could be a power play to see if this is a viable market before the next gen. rolls out.

Rumours are they are targetting a $199 USD price point.

I doubt retailers will like this much. Unless they sell game keys at Walmart or Best Buy.

Some vids on it.

Last edited:
I'm old-school and prefer physical media. Next gen. will surely only further antiquate me.

robots-falling-3.gif

I’m fine with it. I’ve been doing digital only for about a year now anyway.

Not an Xbox guy but I think this is a smart move.

I saw something not long ago saying a significant portion of internet traffic is PlayStation downloads.

Sounds like they are just trying to take money from people who would otherwise buy a used disc.

Fuck that.

They discontinued older games for dig download that you have to hunt down disks for anyways.

Not cool.

Not buying new box if that’s the case can just dig download on my Xbox for Windows on my pc.

Will be by Felicia to new Xbox sales for me if that’s the case.

I’ve been exclusively digital on my PS4 since mid 2016. And my xbone S that I picked up earlier this year cane with Halos 1-5 plus Gears remastered and Gears 4, all digital.

i used to love physical media, but then it didn't matter if i had the disc, i still had to download gigs and gigs worth of updates so i said fuck it, just buy the games i really want digitally. i don't care about trading them in anymore.

makes sense I guess.. my pc doesnt have a disk drive...all digital on that

don’t mind this but even with discs there’s so much time wasted downloading and installing the damn games nowadays.

I’ve been exclusively digital on my PS4 since mid 2016. And my xbone S that I picked up earlier this year cane with Halos 1-5 plus Gears remastered and Gears 4, all digital.
I have the doom dig downloads for original doom etc that came with doom 2016

They have been installed, played and downloaded forever.

After not playing them for like a year or so or more I try to play the dig download doom original.

Nope won’t play, says problem or something check Xbox store.
Go to Xbox store shows installed and won’t work now.

If it had come on a disk, it would work.

There are some original Xbox games I have like Jedi Acadamy that will play in my one.

This is why physical disks are better

And storage size, you have to keep adding hd’s To your Xbox.
I’ve already had to do that just with the loads and updates and dlc from disk games and have to delete some to make room for the ones I want to play from time to time.

If all my games were dig download entirely it would be way worse.

makes sense I guess.. my pc doesnt have a disk drive...all digital on that
My new one I built doesn’t wither.

But there are times I’ve needed one lately.

Gonna have to get a usb disk drive or take an old drive and convert it to usb or run some data headers out to it and leave them rolled up in the bottom of pc when not in use but that would look like shit.

All my cable management is pretty tight, don’t want some rolled up shit when not in use or running out the pc to a drive on the desk for long periods of time.

I'm old-school and prefer physical media. Next gen. will surely only further antiquate me.

robots-falling-3.gif

I was the same way until gamestop offered me $7 for a $60 game, and cannot be fucked trying to resell on craigslist/ebay. Plus its convenient as shit not changing discs and worrying about them getting damaged now

Makes zero sense how removing an optical drive reduces the price tag to $199. Price reduction would be offset by the needed increase of HDD space.

While a needed move by Microsoft. Just another instance of console makers being years behind Pc gaming trends. And a signed death sentence to storefronts dedicated with selling physical console game copies.

My area's internet upgrade to super fast broadband keeps getting delayed, they're saying it will be done by Christmas hopefully.

At the moment I can only download at 350kb/s. I live on the edge of a major city as well, my dad lives 12 miles out in the country and he's already got super fast internet.

When I got my X1 I discovered that Halo 5 had over 50gigs of updates it needed to download (after installing from the disc) which took several days...

Makes zero sense how removing an optical drive reduces the price tag to $199. Price reduction would be offset by the needed increase of HDD space.

While a needed move by Microsoft. Just another instance of console makers being years behind Pc gaming trends. And a signed death sentence to storefronts dedicated with selling physical console game copies.

It’s not really the console companies’ fault as we saw first hand what happened when Microsoft tried to ditch disks; console gamers are just very stubborn and old school, apparently.

Microsoft clearly wants to go digital. Perhaps they are willing to take a hit on console margins in order to get a foothold and slowly convert stubborn console gamers.

I only use my xbox one for gamepass wouldn't bother me

Doesn't bother me too much as I rarely buy physical copies of games anymore.

However, I also wait until just about everything is half price or less before I buy it (RDR2 and FC5 being exceptions) so resale isn't really worth it by the time I'm done playing it anyway.

It’s not really the console companies’ fault as we saw first hand what happened when Microsoft tried to ditch disks; console gamers are just very stubborn and old school, apparently.

Microsoft clearly wants to go digital. Perhaps they are willing to take a hit on console margins in order to get a foothold and slowly convert stubborn console gamers.
Well they already likely already take a hit on consoles. And taking out 4k Blu Ray drive can save them some of that hit

Back