Running best cardio rebuilder?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Niels, Jan 28, 2018.

1. RabbitPunch36

RabbitPunch36 White Belt

What is smooth muscle?

2. cmw43

cmw43 Bad Boys Club

I run a 22min 5k and a sub 45min 10k but I played an hour of 5-a-side soccer recently and it absolutely ruined me, I suck at sprinting.

3. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Infinity Belt Platinum Member

Guy I know spent a year training in Thailand. The camps he trained at were fanatical about roadwork. They used to run 6 days a week. He told me when he returned to Scotland he could easily run 8 miles inside an hour. But 10 minutes hard rolling in BJJ wrecked him.

By the time he was awarded his Blue Belt in BJJ, he said that he could roll hard for almost an hour, but could barely run for a bus:D

7even, FierceRedBelt and cmw43 like this.
  4. Thorpedo28

Thorpedo28 White Belt

A lot of cardio doesn't have as much carryover as people expect/want

I run a fair bit (30-35 miles a week) and can do 8mph but I'am nowhere near as good on the bike as I would expect even with quite powerful legs compared to the average cyclist.

Also with running people say it wrecks your body, I have found if you have a suitable pair of trainers and build up the frequency/intensity/distance sensibly you greatly reduce the chances of injury

cmw43 likes this.
  5. Mbmmax

Mbmmax Yellow Belt

I lift 5-6 days a week and always finish with a 1.5 mile run, so I'm biased toward saying running is best for cardio simply because it works for me. Running just seems like the most natural form of cardio for humans, but you have to pick something you enjoy and that you will stick to. No joint pain and you have no problem finishing your run? Then I would say stick with it.

KnightTemplar and Niels like this.
  6. Robocok

Robocok Purple Belt

I like running but I'm partial to cycling because I used to work at a bike shop and sold bicycles to a lot of ex runners whose joints were shot. One of them said his doctor explained it like this: "your joints are kind of like tire tread and you have a finite amount. Once it's worn out, that's it."

Cycling, being non-impact, allowed them to get the endorphin rush they were addicted to without hurting their joints.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  7. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Infinity Belt Platinum Member

That's why I prefer Hill Repeats. The angle of the hill reduces the impact on one's joints. There's a 250 meter beast right next to my house. Gives me a great workout and my knees feel fine afterwards.

Robocok likes this.
  8. Robocok

Robocok Purple Belt

Grass and dirr helps too. Concrete is the worst

KnightTemplar likes this.