Running vs Jump Roping

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi, when it comes to weight management, I find that running does a better job at keeping my weight down compared to jump roping. Now I'm aware there are other variables such as intensity, like running against the wind or doing double unders. However the reason I ask is because I always hear that jump roping burns more calories than running. Thank you.

yeah, jump rope may burn more calories than a jog, but good luck trying to jump rope for 30+ minutes, especially if you're overweight

yeah, jump rope may burn more calories than a jog, but good luck trying to jump rope for 30+ minutes, especially if you're overweight

After a while, jump roping for 30+ minutes isn't that bad. Of course, I do remember the time when jump roping for 1 round was a pain. It just really just finding your pace and building up your work capacity.

Personally I have to watch out for shin splints if I jump rope too much. It aggravates them worse than running does.

Jumping rope.
Jump roping is extreme cowboy event

Running is broad, are you sprinting or jogging

Jumping rope is the shit, really good for coordination too, but 30 minutes is pretty tough for most. I like it better but I don't get shin splints

I much prefer skipping rope
I had a bit of shin splints in the past, but that was as a beginner on concrete. I always jump on mats now, and haven't had shin splints again.

My HR gets to about 160 bpm (81% of my max HR) after 10 min of jump roping at a steady pace. My HR gets to 165bpm (84% my max HR) after a 1.5 mile run at about a 9 min pace.

I enjoy running for scenery. I jump rope for convenience. Fitness-wise, just incorporate both.

Back